Update 10/04: Antiwar Calendar for Orange County

  • gdjohnson2@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      CONTENTS:

      (Page down for details on each item. For Orange County
      transit information, try http://www.octa.net/justclick or
      http://google.com/transit)

      #1 Military Families Speak Out Meeting Saturday,
      October 6th in Huntington Beach

      #2 "Out of Iraq & Afghanistan" Picket in
      Santa Ana Saturday, October 6th

      #3 "Ghosts of Rwanda" showing in Mission Viejo
      Saturday, Oct. 6th

      #4 OC Peace Coalition General Meeting Saturday,
      October 13th in Orange

      #5 Troops Home Now Rally in Laguna Woods
      Saturday, October 13th

      #6 Out of Iraq Protest in Fullerton Saturday,
      October 13th

      #7 "No More Victims" in Whittier Saturday,
      October 13th

      #8 "Occupation 101" showing at Cousins Club
      meeting in Irvine Tuesday, October 16th

      NINE WEEKLY ACTIONS

      #1 Every Wednesday 4:00 to 5:00 PM in
      Laguna Woods
      #2 Orange Wednesday Evenings 5:30-7 p.m.
      #3 Fridays 4 to 5 PM in Irvine
      #4 Costa Mesa Friday evenings 5:00 -7:00 PM)
      #5 Laguna Beach Saturdays at 11 AM
      #6 Anaheim Food not Bombs every Saturday 1:00 PM
      in La Palma Park
      #7 Impeachment Rally Sunday at noon at UCI
      #8 "Enough!" Campaign Demo Sundays at Noon
      in Huntington Beach
      #9 Huntington Beach Sunday evenings 7-8 PM
      #1 Military Families Speak Out Meeting Saturday,
      October 6th in Huntington Beach

      From: "MFSO Orange County" <mfso-oc@...>

      Dear Members and Supporters

      Our next Orange County MFSO meeting at

      10:00 am this Saturday, Oct 6,
      at Carrow's,
      16931 Magnolia Blvd.
      (Right off the 405)
      Huntington Beach 92649.

      We will be in the back room. Bring a friend.
      #2 "Out of Iraq & Afghanistan" Picket in
      Santa Ana Saturday, October 6th

      From: "ANSWER LA" <answerla@...>

      Orange County Protest to End the War Now
      U.S. Out of Iraq and Afghanistan!

      Saturday, October 6, 12 noon
      Picket at Armed Forces Recruiting Station
      612 Warner Ave, Santa Ana, CA
      Map and Driving Directions

      Join anti-war activists and progressive groups and
      individuals for an anti-war/peace protest at the
      Armed Forces Recruiting Station in Santa Ana,
      Orange County. Oct. 6 is the eve of the 6th anniversary
      of the U.S. bombing war and occupation of Afghanistan--
      a precursor to the occupation of Iraq. Now, both
      countries are occupied and their people are struggling
      for self-determination.

      On Oct. 6, we'll also promote the upcoming regional
      Oct. 27 anti-war mass march and rally in Los Angeles.
      There will be Peace Buses going from Orange County
      to LA for Oct. 27. You can reserve your seat today or
      at the Oct. 6 protest. Meet at the Armed Forces
      Recruiting Station at 12 noon for a picket. We'll then
      march to adjacent Delhi Park for a 1:30 pm rally.

      Oct. 6 Protest Endorsed by OC Peace Action, OC Greens/
      CODO VERDE, ANSWER Coalition, Centro Cultural De
      Mexico-Santa Ana, OC Catholic Worker, Santa Ana Food
      Not Bombs, Mexican-American Political Association,
      OC Alliance for Immigrant Rights, Patrick Henry Democratic
      Club, OC Progressive Democrats of America and
      Chican@s Unidos

      For more info contact 714-586-2836 or
      ANSWER at 213-251-1025 or answerla@....
      #3 "Ghosts of Rwanda" showing in Mission Viejo
      Saturday, Oct. 6th

      From: "Jan" <jmeslin@...>

      "Ghosts of Rwanda" movie screening
      Saturday, Oct 6, 7pm at

      Tapestry UU Congregation in
      Mission Viejo
      25801 Obrero Drive #9

      We were originally going to screen "The Devil Came on
      Horseback."

      Unfortunately the DVD release for the movie has been
      pushed back to Oct 30th.

      Instead we will be screening the award winning PBS
      Frontline documentary, Ghosts of Rwanda. The
      documentary offers groundbreaking, eyewitness
      accounts of the genocide from those who experienced
      it firsthand: from Tutsi survivors who recount the horror
      of seeing their friends and family members slaughtered
      by neighbors and coworkers; to the UN peacekeepers
      stationed amid the carnage who were ordered not to
      intervene; to those holding positions of power at the
      White House.

      For more information regarding this event, please visit
      livingubuntu.org/events
      #4 OC Peace Coalition General Meeting Saturday,
      October 13th in Orange

      (in accordance with our usual "second and fourth
      Saturday" schedule)

      WHEN: 10 AM Saturday, October 13th
      WHERE:
      Sisters of St. Joseph Justice Center
      480 S. Batavia in Orange
      WHO: All interested people are invited, especially
      anyone who might represent one of our member
      organizations.

      We're likely to be discussing such things as
      fundraising, educational projects, outreach to new groups,
      boycotts, new literature, counter-recruitment, and anything
      that might end the war sooner (excluding any specific
      support of candidates or political parties) The proposed
      agenda will be sent in a separate message.

      Please bring your ideas, and be ready to step
      up and participate.

      DIRECTIONS:
      Turn into the parking lot from Batavia just north
      of La Veta Ave., drive around to the left, to the
      south side of the complex. Look for signs to
      direct you to the room we've been assigned. This
      time it's likely to be Classroom 4.

      web site: www.ocpeace.org
      phone: (714) 637-8313
      #5 Troops Home Now Rally in Laguna Woods
      Saturday, October 13th

      From: "shirley mcgovern" <adele@...>

      A "Bring Home the Troops Now" rally will be held

      Saturday October 13th
      from 11 to 12:30
      at the corner of El Toro and Paseo De Valencia
      in Laguna Woods

      in front of Washington Mutual Bank. Parking is available
      in their lot in the back rows.

      This event provides the community with an opportunity
      to express their concerns about our purpose and
      presence in Iraq and Afghanistan.

      People for Peace, an ad-hoc committee of Concerned
      Citizens of Laguna Woods Village is sponsoring the
      event. Flyers with a toll-free phone number to call
      Congress will be available, as well as an assortment
      of signs... or bring your own. Join us. All are welcome.

      Information: 949-588-9367
      #6 Out of Iraq Protest in Fullerton Saturday,
      October 13th

      From: "Matthew Leal" <time2organize@...>

      "We are organizing a movement within Orange County
      to protest this unjust war. President Bush and his
      administration as we all know has lied there way
      through office and it has cost the lives of far to many
      of our servicemen and women along with a million
      Iraqi civilian deaths. Over 4 million Iraqis are displaced
      and there is not even clean drinking water anymore.
      Our government is spending 12 billion dollars a month
      in this operation and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! Please
      come join us in stopping the lies and putting an end
      to this war.

      We will be gathering on the corner of

      Harbor and Chapman in Downtown Fullerton
      at 6:30 p.m. on the 13th of October.

      For future dates of protests in Fullerton contact
      Matthew at time2organize@.... Thank you
      very much to all who given the ultimate and deserve
      the same.

      We will do all in our power to help end this hypocrisy
      within our government but we need your help as well.
      Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated and
      will be felt."

      Please join us in the fight... Alone we are powerless
      but together we are mighty!
      #7 "No More Victims" in Whittier Saturday,
      October 13th

      From: Orlando Terrazas <oterrazas54@...>

      "Dear Family, Friends and Fellow Activists,

      Mark your calendars..."No More Victims", a citizens response
      to War and Militarism, bring their story to Whittier. Cole Miller,
      co-founder of "No More Victims" will share the story of this
      non-profit, non-sectarian, humanist organizaton. Their mission
      is to restore health and well-being to victims of War and to
      advocate and educate for peace. Salee Allawee, featured in
      the September 24th issure of People Magazine, lost both of
      her legs as a result of a U.S;. bombing attack in IRAQ. Now,
      thanks to the efforts of "No More Victims" she is taking
      steps to a new beginning. Learn about her story and others
      like her at this extrodinary event sponsored by the Whittier
      Area Peace and Justice Coalition.

      Entertainment and refreshments will be provided.

      "This event will take place:

      When: Saturday October 13, 2007

      Time: 6pm - Meet and Greet
      7pm - Progam starts

      Where: St. Matthias Epsicopal Church
      7056 Washington Avenue
      Whittier, CA 90602

      Donation: $10 suggested however no one will be turned
      away for lack of funds

      For more info contact (562) 201-6160 or (562) 698-9154

      For Information on the group "No More Victims"
      you can log onto www.nomroevictims.org
      #8 "Occupation 101" showing at Cousins Club
      meeting in Irvine Tuesday, October 16th

      From: Ted <ted@...>

      Cousins Club of Orange County
      P.O. BOX 5891, ORANGE CA 92863-5891
      www.cousinscluboc.org
      We meet at 7:30 p.m. on
      Tuesday, October 16, 2007 (3rd Tuesday)

      "Occupation 101"

      We will start promptly at 7:30 p.m.
      This 2007 award winning documentary deals with the
      Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the role of the U.S. in the
      conflict and the major obstacles to a lasting peace.
      Discussion will follow.

      We meet at the Irvine Ranch Water District Offices
      15600 on Sand Canyon Ave
      between the 5 freeway and the 405.
      Get off the 5 freeway at Sand Canyon and
      go south to Waterworks Drive. Exit the 405 freeway
      at Sand Canyon and go north to Waterworks Drive.
      NINE WEEKLY ACTIONS FOR PEACE ARE STILL
      GOING ON. (Last I heard) SEE BELOW.

      #1 Every Wednesday 4:00 to 5:00 PM in
      Laguna Woods:

      Beginning Wednesday, July 11th. Women in Black
      will hold their weekly vigil at a new location. These
      public peace vigils now in their fifth year, are silent
      because words cannot adequately express the
      tragedies caused by wars and hatred. Women are
      dressed in black as a symbol of sorrow for all
      victims of war, and for the destruction of nature
      and the fabric of life.

      Our message, though silent, is strong and well
      received.The new venue is on the SW corner of Moulton
      Parkway and Lake Forest Drive, from 4:00 to 5:00 pm.

      All women are encouraged to join the vigil. Women
      in Black is a worldwide peace network.
      Local email wiblagunawoods@...;
      International website: Womeninblack.org
      Local call: 949-588-9367
      #2 Orange Wednesday Evenings 5:30-7 p.m.

      Dear OC Code Pink Activists and Interested Others,
      Please consider joining us each Wednesday eveningfrom 5:30-7:00 pm at the
      Traffic Circle in Old Towne
      Orange as we protest the war and killing in Iraq. We
      have been holding an anti-war vigil there every week
      since Sept. 2004. And we will continue to be there for
      the forseeable future until all our troops are brought
      home. Bring an anti-war sign and wear pink or black!

      For more info contact kathy@...
      or check out our website: www.codepinkoc.org.
      #3 Fridays 4 to 5 PM in Irvine

      time change Fridays 4-5pm Irvine:

      Imagine Peace Vigil

      Culver and Michelson (405 south to Culver, right on Culver,
      one block to Michelson. Left on Michelson and park
      at the Wholesome Choice.)

      Info: Angie Dickson 949-551-3336

      #4 Every Friday Evening @ South Coast Plaza, Costa
      MesaFrom:QUETZALCOATL38@...
      See you in at Bristol & Anton. South Coast Plaza, standing
      up for JUSTICE and PEACE! STOP THE WAR-STOP THE
      KILLING!

      Everyone welcome-
      This will be a peaceful, law abiding, nonviolent community
      street corner protest- We bring our children to learn of
      compassion, peace and love.
      End Colonial Occupation from Iraq to Palestine to Haiti;
      Support the Palestinian People's Right of Return;
      Stop the Threats Against Venezuela, Cuba, Iran, North Korea;
      and U.S. Out of the Philippines.

      Every Friday evening 5:00-7:00
      Corner of Bristol and Anton
      Costa Mesa, CA, Across from the So. Coast Plaza
      No war on Iran and Syria!

      Contacts:
      Mike Mang, Coalition against Unnecessary Wars!
      (949) 721-1139
      Chuck Anderson, KPFK Orange County Support Group
      (714) 956-5037
      #5 EVERY SATURDAY:
      PEACE DEMO AT LAGUNA BEACH
      Please try to join us in this time of crisis.
      Thanks, Jeanie Bernstein

      Ongoing weekly - Saturday from 11:00 AM to
      1:00 PM, Laguna Beach Vigil for Peace in the Middle
      East and through out the World. Main Beach, Pacific
      Coast Highway and Ocean Avenue. There are signs
      at the vigil, or bring your own message opposing the
      "War against Terrorism", and demanding nonviolentsolutions to conflict.
      For more information
      call 949-499-3190
      #6 Anaheim Food not Bombs every Saturday 1:00 PM
      in La Palma Park

      ANAHEIM FOOD NOT BOMBS
      Wage peace and protest the war and it's effect on our
      economy by coming to Anaheim to help serve food and
      break bread with fellow peace lovers! Food Not Bombs
      Anaheim feeds at La Palma Park every Saturday @ 1:00 pm.
      Feel free to contact Annaliesa @ 714) 526-3576 or by
      email @ foodnotbombsanaheim@...
      for more information.

      Can't come down to help in person? We are in desperate
      need of toiletries, clothes and eco-friendly
      cleaning/sanitizing products. If anyone has access to
      a photocopiers/xerox machines and would like to help
      us maintain our flyer/handout collection please do so,
      all help is greatly appreciated. Contact Annaliesa for
      more information.
      #7 Impeachment Rally Sunday at noon at UCI

      OC chapter of Enough! Every Sunday from noon to 1pm,

      more and more people nationwide are hitting the streets
      to publicly tell their neighbors, We've Had Enough! of this
      reckless, incompetent and criminal Administration. Please
      join hands with them this

      Sunday, Aug. 5th from noon - 1pm at UCI, in Irvine, CA.

      We'll be on the Watson walking bridge above Campus Blvd -
      the one linking UC Irvine with University Center - between
      W. Peltason and Stanford.

      Like many of you, we think it's high time to get visible.
      That it's not enough to rant and hit the post button on the
      Internets - we need to hit the streets. That it's not enough
      to communicate our outrage about the Lawless One and
      his crimes to our Congresspersons - we need to share
      it with our *neighbors* too. It is all too obvious that a drive
      for Impeachment is going to have to develop from the
      grassroots. We'll have ready-made signs and flags as
      well as blank poster board and felt pens. Or bring your
      own pro-Impeachment and anti-Bush/Cheney/Gonzales
      signs. JUST JOIN US -- and let our pro-Impeachment
      OC neighbors know they are not alone!
      Mike Myers 949.677.0016 (cell) mdamyers@...
      dfalink.com/event.php?id=21975 (See also Sundays)
      #8 "Enough!" Campaign Demo Sundays at Noon
      in Huntington Beach

      ENOUGH CAMPAIGN

      Every Sunday Noon to 1:00 PM
      At Main St. and PCH S/W corner
      Huntington Beach

      For more info. Contact,
      Albert afitguy@...
      Dorrine quitetherebel@...

      www.theyoungturks.com/section/Enough

      #9 Every Sunday evening in Huntington Beach:

      "Peace vigil every Sunday night at the foot of the
      Huntington Beach Pier, 7-8 pm

      It's hard for most people to imagine a world at peace.
      We are a very small group of people who believe that
      this is indeed possible and that peace will happen once
      enough people believe that it can. So we stand at the
      pier every Sunday night with a sign that says:
      "Visualize World Peace. It's up to you".

      We also believe in non-violence both physically
      and in our thoughts. We will discuss peace and
      non-violence with anyone who is rational and
      smile quietly at those who aren't. We hold this vigil
      in a spirit of dignity and respect for all as we try
      to build bridges with those who don't share our
      philosophy.

      Please bring a candle.