Reject Racism! Support The Marcel Khalife Concert in San Diego!

  • Zahi Damuni
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      ACTION ALERT

      For Immediate Release
      October 4, 2007

      Reject Racism! Support The Marcel Khalife Concert in San Diego!

      Many thanks to all those who have thus far made reservations for the Marcel
      Khalife concert that will take place at the beautiful and friendly Birch
      North Park Theater on Sunday October 14, 2007 in San Diego. Khalife opened
      the first leg of his tour in several venues across Canada to rave reviews.
      Here is one such review:
      http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071002.KHALIFE02/TPStory/TPEntertainment/Music/

      Khalife's concert tour will have 18 venues in the US, three of which are in
      California. It also includes two nights at the Kennedy Center in Washington,
      DC. San Diegans are in for a great experience!

      For those who plan to attend, please go to
      http://al-awdasandiego.org/marcel/khalife.html for information on how to
      obtain your tickets.

      As you may know, the original venue at the Salvation Army's Joan B Kroc
      Theater, was cancelled this August, six months after we believed we had
      secured the venue by paying the required deposit in February 2007, following
      the renters instructions we were provided, as well as working communications
      with the management.

      Al-Awda San Diego considers the venue cancellation by the Salvation Army,
      its late timing, and the manner in which it was conveyed, as a violation of
      our agreement and insulting and dismissive to our community, our
      organization and Marcel Khalife, the artist. We consider this a form of
      cultural discrimination. The Salvation Army it seems insists on viewing a
      cultural event through a political lens because our organization, the
      presenter of the concert, advocates for the rights of Palestinian refugees.
      Such a view is politically racist and we do not tolerate it.

      For additional background information concerning our interaction with the
      Salvation Army, please go to http://al-awdasandiego.org/salvation_army.html

      What You Can Do

      1. Show your rejection of the Salvation Army decision by attending the
      concert which will take place in San Diego at the Birch North Park Theater
      on Sunday October 14, 2007. Support the artist, our community and Al-Awda by
      rejecting racism. Please go to
      http://al-awdasandiego.org/marcel/khalife.html for information on how to
      obtain your tickets.

      2. To support the concert and help defray some of the costs incurred due
      to the change of venue, please consider the available sponsorship
      opportunities described at: http://al-awdasandiego.org/marcel/sponsors.html

      3. Write to the Salvation Army to express your opinion at their decision. Here
      are some suggested talking points:

      *The Palestine Right to Return Coalition's advocacy for the natural,
      inalienable and fundamental right of Palestinian refugees to return to their
      land and homes of origin is based on universal values. Point out that the
      right to return to one's home is enshrined in the Universal Declaration of
      Human Rights, International Law, and that, for Palestinian refugees, this
      right has been affirmed more than 130 times by the United Nations since
      General Assembly resolution 194 of 1948.

      *Marcel Khalife is a UNESCO artist for peace. His concert is being hosted by
      The Palestine Right to Return Coalition in San Diego because it is
      consistent with the organization's advocacy.

      *The venue denial by the Salvation Army is a form of cultural
      discrimination. The Salvation Army insistence on viewing a cultural event
      with a political lens is because the presenter of the concert is an
      organization which advocates for the rights of Palestinian refugees. Such a
      view is racist, outrageous and intolerable.

      * The Palestine Right to Return Coalition's mission is based on universal
      values. To characterize these values as sectarian is to say that they should
      not apply to Palestinians. The Salvation Army's opposition to the
      application of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights to Palestinians is
      politically motivated racism.

      Please address your correspondence to:

      Captain John Van Cleef, Administrator
      The Salvation Army Kroc Center San Diego
      Tel: 1-619-269-1401
      Fax: 1-619-255-7206
      Email: John.Van.Cleef@...

      Ms. Cathie Hyatt, Manager
      Joan B. Kroc Theatre, Performing Arts Center
      The Salvation Army Kroc Center San Diego
      Tel: 1-619-269-1551
      Fax: 1-619-255-7206
      Email: Cathie.Hyatt@...

      Ms. Kathy Lovin