Fwd: The first casualty, as usual, is truth

  • Michael Novick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2002
      >From The Poison Kitchen, a website for disgruntled reporters
      (is there another kind?): http://poisonkitchen.com/.
      Don't miss their response, at the end.
      Mimi
      ----------------------
      http://poisonkitchen.com/

      Printed in a recent issue of Harpers for the public's
      general amusement, shock and scorn:
      Panama City (FL) News Herald chief copy editor Ray Glenn's
      memo re war coverage

      Oct. 31, 2001
      Deskers:
      There are a few items that we must take care of immediately: No
      one on the copy desk is to leave any night without checking with
      Camera Room personnel to make sure your pages have been
      received. This means you MUST PERSONALLY SEE ALL YOUR PAGES
      AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN PROCESSED. If they are in the queue but
      not processed, they have not been received as far as I am
      concerned. Also, do not call Lawrence, Jerry, Flip, Harold or
      anyone else and ask if your pages have been received. You will be
      responsible for your own pages.

      Per Hal's order, DO NOT USE photos on Page 1A showing civilian
      casualties from the U.S. war on Afghanistan. [Note: "Hal" is News
      Herald executive editor Hal Foster.] Our sister paper in Fort
      Walton Beach has done so and received hundreds and hundreds of
      threatening e-mails and the like. Also per Hal's order, DO NOT USE
      wire stories which lead with civilian casualties from the U.S. war
      on Afghanistan. They should be mentioned further down in the story.
      If the story needs rewriting to play down the civilian casualties,
      DO IT. The only exception is if the U.S. hits an orphanage, school
      or similar facility and kills scores or hundreds of children. See
      me if there are any special situations.

      There was a head bust on an attacks page today because the
      headline was not spell checked. This is a violation of a direct
      order to SPELL CHECK ALL HEADLINES. This will not be tolerated under
      any circumstances. USE SPELL CHECK EVERY TIME.
      Failure to follow any of these or other standing rules could put
      your job in jeopardy.

      >For the record, The Kitchen Staff takes an editorial stance in favor
      >of checking with camera room personnel to make sure your pages
      >have been received, spell checking headlines and avoiding any sort
      >of copy-related "bust." On that war thing, though, tell Hal to fuck
      >himself with a bent pica pole until he personally explains to an
      >Afghan war orphan who is missing a limb or two why giant fighter
      >jets bombing his family's village into dust isn't story-topping news
      >while the fact that "bin Laden's not in this cave either," is.

      ACTION ALERT:
      NYT Buries Story of Airstrikes on Afghan Civilians
      January 9, 2002
      On December 30, U.S. airstrikes hit the village of
      Niazi Kala (also called Qalaye Niaze) in eastern
      Afghanistan, killing dozens of civilians. The attack
      was major news in several U.K. newspapers, with the
      Guardian and the Independent running front-page
      stories. The headlines were straightforward: "U.S.
      Accused of Killing Over 100 Villagers in Airstrike"
      (Guardian, 1/1/02); "U.S. Accused of Killing 100
      Civilians in Afghan Bombing Raid" (Independent,
      1/1/02); "'100 Villagers Killed' in U.S. Airstrike"
      (London Times, 1/1/02).
      In contrast, the New York Times first reported the
      civilian deaths at Niazi Kala under the headline
      "Afghan Leader Warily Backs U.S. Bombing" (1/2/02).
      The U.N. estimated that 52 civilians were killed by the
      U.S. attack, including 25 children, and disputed
      Pentagon claims that those killed were linked to Al
      Qaeda. According to the U.N., "unarmed women and
      children" were "chased and killed by American
      helicopters," some "as they fled to shelter" and others
      "as they tried to rescue survivors" (London Times,
      1/4/02). Noting that "innumeracy, rapid burial, damage
      to bodies, propaganda" and "remoteness" make it
      difficult to reach a precise count of any of the
      civilian deaths in Afghanistan, the Guardian reported
      that surviving villagers estimated anywhere between 32
      and 107 dead, with the higher number coming from staff
      at the local hospital (1/7/02).
      The Pentagon contends that the village was a legitimate
      military target because it sheltered Taliban leaders,
      Al Qaeda fighters and an ammunition dump, and reporters
      who toured the destruction saw evidence of a
      substantial weapons cache. But local residents denied
      links to the Taliban or Al Qaeda, and said that in fact
      many of those killed were guests in town for a wedding.
      As the Los Angeles Times has pointed out (1/8/02), the
      attack "raises difficult questions about the accuracy
      of the local information the United States is getting
      about the whereabouts of remaining Al Qaeda fighters."
      Descriptions of the destruction in Niazi Kala from
      reporters on the scene have been shocking. Guardian
      correspondent Rory Carroll (1/7/02) reported seeing
      "bloodied children's shoes and skirts, bloodied school
      books, the scalp of a woman with braided grey hair,
      butter toffees in red wrappers, wedding decorations."
      Similarly, the Los Angeles Times' Alissa J. Rubin
      reported "fragments of skull with black braided hair
      decorated with silver thread-- an accessory common
      among women in this region," a child's "severed shoe"
      and other evidence that "makes clear that women and
      children were killed by the U.S. bombing" (1/8/02).
      The New York Times, however, has shied away from such
      graphic accounts. In its January 2 article, the Times
      treated reports that "up to 100 villagers in Paktia
      Province had been killed" not so much as a story in its
      own right, but as background to the issue of whether
      Hamid Karzai, head of the interim Afghan government,
      was holding firm in "his support for the war against
      terrorism." Further details on the killings at Niazi
      Kala were scarce, but Times readers did learn that
      "part way through the interview, an aide entered
      carrying two scones" sent by Karzai's sister-in-law in
      Baltimore. The Times apparently included this
      information to support Karzai's contention that "things
      now seemed quite organized and civilized" in
      Afghanistan.
      The following day, the New York Times provided more
      information about Niazi Kala, but once again nestled
      the story within an article on a related topic, this
      one about accusations that warlord Pacha Khan Zadran
      has provided false information to the U.S., leading to
      the airstrikes that last month struck a convoy of
      tribal leaders (1/3/02). The attack on Niazi Kala--
      which some have suggested was also targeted on Zadran's
      recommendation (Independent, 1/4/02)-- came up when the
      Times reported Zadran's "assessment" that the villagers
      had been linked to the Taliban and therefore legitimate
      targets. Commendably, the Times did contrast Zadran's
      version on the story with the U.N.'s "far more chilling
      account of the human cost of destroying the weapons
      stash," quoting the report at some length.
      Unfortunately, these important details were buried in
      the middle of the page A15 story, reflected neither in
      its headline nor its lead.
      British Member of Parliament's formal demands for an
      inquiry, the Pentagon has agreed to investigate the
      attack on Niazi Kala (Guardian, 1/4/02, 1/7/02). So
      far, the New York Times has not reported this fact.
      The Times' poor reporting of this story comes in the
      midst of a general failure of the mainstream U.S. press
      to seriously investigate the extent of civilian
      casualties in Afghanistan and the legality of the U.S.
      attacks.
      ACTION: Please contact the New York Times and encourage
      it to cover civilian casualties caused by U.S. attacks
      on Afghanistan, like those at Niazi Kala, as an
      important story in their own right. You might also ask
      them to follow closely and critically the Pentagon's
      investigation into the attack on Niazi Kala.
      CONTACT: New York Times 229 West 43rd St. New York, NY
      10036-3959 mailto:nytnews@... Toll free comment
      line: 1-888-NYT-NEWS
      As always, please remember that your comments are taken
      more seriously if you maintain a polite tone. Please cc
      fair@... with your correspondence.
      FAIR
      (212) 633-6700
      http://www.fair.org/
      E-mail: fair@...

      In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
      is distributed without charge or profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving this type of information for non-profit
      research and educational purposes only.

      Join the "stop police abuse" list at
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stop-polabuse>

      People Against Racist Terror (PART), PO Box 1055, Culver City, CA 90232
      Tel.: 310-495-0299 E-mail: <part2001@...>
      Send for a sample of our quarterly print publication:
      "Turning The Tide: Journal of Anti-Racist Action, Research & Education"

      Free Mumia! End the racist death penalty!
      Clemency for Leonard Peltier now!
      Free Marilyn Buck, Mutulu Shakur, Oscar Lopez
      and all political prisoners and P.O.W.'s in U.S. prisons!