31572Venezuela:Capriles/Opposition advocate violence for Dec.8th elections-NSA Spying

    Nov 5, 2013

      Capriles Video: Opposition Pitches Violence for Municipal Elections

      Nov 5th 2013, by Tamara Pearson - Venezuelanalysis.com

      A capture from Capriles' video message.

      A capture from Capriles' video message.

      The opposition has released a video, in the form of a “message” from former presidential candidate Henrique Capriles, which reveals their approach to the upcoming 8 December municipal elections.

      After claiming fraud and refusing to recognise the 14 April presidential elections, they are now encouraging their supporters to vote on 8 December, but to also be vigilant in preventing any more such “fraud” on the day. They are painting the elections as a national “plebiscite” on the Maduro administration.

      The Communist Party of Venezuela has also stated that the opposition has plans to cause destabilisation in the lead up to, and on the day of the elections. They further allege that major food distributors, “subordinate to transnationals” will stop distributing certain products from next week, to add to the pre-electoral tension.

      Capriles shared the following video with his supporters via Twitter last week, and it was then picked up by some of the major private media. In the video, Capriles repeats his claim that there was “cheating” in the last elections, and encourages his supporters to “organise” on election day. He does not quote numbers, facts, dates, or sources to back up his arguments. However, as psychologists have argued, merely mentioning such things, without backing them up, can have a psychological impact. Those disposed to believe, will.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_quBE1QupQ

      Transcription:

      Many people in the street ask me, ‘Capriles, what can we do to attain the change that we want?’ And I tell them, first voting en masse on 8 December, then after that, with greater and better organisation, [by mobilising] in all the corners of the country, so that we can prevent cheating and make them respect the will of the people.
      On 14 April a photo was taken of a Venezuela divided into two halves. [A graph with blue column suggests Capriles got more “valid” votes” than Maduro, in the red column]. There was a difference of a few points in our favour. The government used all of its mechanisms to include fake votes and show a different result.

      How did they do it? Neutralising our witnesses and volunteers in the voting centres, including fake votes through the forced vote and the misappropriation of identity. Now, these electoral crimes didn’t occur in all the voting centres [image of map of Venezuela]. Our solid presence across Venezuela prevented larger scale cheating. We guaranteed a secret and free vote for more than 14 million Venezuelans, and we managed to make them recognise the triumph of unity in 96 municipalities of the country. This 8 December, we have to eliminate the cheating in the voting centres where we know there are weaknesses, and that depends on us. You, as an elector, booth member, or witness, play a fundamental roll so that the election in your voting centre is a clean one [ie without any cheating].

      [Red and blue pie graph graphic, alleging that “government authorities” have less support than “progress”.] Today, according to the latest polls, we’re a broad majority; those Venezuelans who want a change towards progress and future. The government knows it. And that’s why it seeks to make you afraid [image of moustached man saying ‘I’m watching you’] and demotivate you. [moustached man says 'I have everything under control']. A strategy they use is to say that they know who you vote for [Translator: the government has never said anything like that]. But that’s a lie. I say to all our people, especially our public servants and those who benefit from the missions; the voting machines and the fingerprint machines don’t reveal who you vote for. Your vote is your secret. It is proven that the voting machines and the transmission of information [from them] don’t change the votes. If someone has planted doubt about this, citizen verification allows it to be shown that the cheating doesn’t take place there. I invite you to participate in your [voting] centre so that any doubts you might have about that can be cleared up, confirming that the records and the number of voters in the electoral book correspond with the voting papers in the box and with the results that are announced by the National Electoral Council.

      The cheating is in how and who deposits these votes in the box. Because of the forced vote, we challenged the elections in the Supreme Court, and because of the misappropriation of identity we demanded an auditing of the books and the fingerprint machines. Because the cheating wasn’t in the counting of votes, it was in the identity of the voters and the freedom with which each person could vote.

      We know how to stop the cheating. That’s why it’s fundamental that, as a witness, you attend all our workshops on electoral preparation. On 8 December we have a key election for advancing towards national change, which the majority of Venezuela wants. We will elect mayors and councillors, which are the leaders that are closest to the citizen, who can most easily solve your problems. On 8 December we can win por paliza [translatora word with two meanings: a big win, or a violent beating up of someone] in order attain what’s needed. We need to improve training and organisation of hundreds of thousands of [election] witnesses and family commands [translatorthe opposition’s supposed organisational unit] in order to neutralise the cheating. Only in that way will we win. We will collect [the win] and we’ll govern these municipalities. For the progress of all Venezuelans, without political distinction.

      I say to our people, it’s important to vote, that we’ll achieve change with our participation. We are the majority of the country, let’s go out to win, I’m counting on you.

      Source URL (retrieved on 05/11/2013 - 7:12pm): http://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/10143

      New Documents Show Venezuela Has Been Key US Spying Target

      Nov 5th 2013, by Tamara Pearson

      The NSA considered Venezuela one of the six key “enduring targets” in 2007 (agencies)

      The NSA considered Venezuela one of the six key “enduring targets” in 2007 (agencies)

      Merida, 5th November 2013 (Venezuelanalysis.com) – According to US NSA documents leaked by Edward Snowden and published recently by the New York Times, Venezuela was one of the key targets of the agency’s spying. The US appeared to be particularly concerned with Venezuela’s regional influence.

      The New York Times (NYT) published an official NSA document on 2 November which summarises the agency’s priorities in 2007 for the next 12 to 18 months in terms of signals intelligence (SIGINT) or electronic eavesdropping.

      The document or “Strategic Mission List” details 16 priority “topics” such as terrorism, homeland security, and weapons of mass destruction, and also six “enduring targets”. The enduring targets are six countries the NSA believes it needs to “target holistically because of their strategic importance”. Venezuela is mentioned as one of the six “enduring targets” as well as in many of the 16 topic areas.

      The NSA’s objective with Venezuela in 2007 as an “enduring target” was to enable US “policymakers in [sic] preventing Venezuela from achieving its regional leadership objective and pursuing policies that negatively impact US global interests”.  The NSA focused on providing “US decision makers with a holistic SIGINT perspective of regional trends and developments, assessing and/or predicting strategic direction, plans, intentions and capabilities that impact US interests”.

      The NSA was, in general, focused on Venezuela’s regional power and “[Hugo] Chavez’s progress in his initiatives to pursue regional power objectives in the political, economic, energy, and ideological arenas”.  The NSA that year also decided to focus on assessing Venezuela’s “regime stability, particularly in the energy sector” and the “depth and breadth” of its relations with Iran, Cuba, China, and Russia.

      The other countries it decided were “enduring targets” were China, North Korea, Iran, Iraq, and Russia.

      Venezuela was also one of the main countries mentioned in the 16 topic areas. In the area of State/Political Stability, where the NSA’s objective was to provide “warning of impending state instability”, Venezuela, Bolivia, and “Latin American Bolivarian Developments” were seen as a priority for monitoring “internal political activities that could result in crisis”.

      Similarly, the document also listed Venezuela as one of the areas where the NSA was “monitoring regional tensions that could escalate to conflict/crisis” and  it noted its concern about how such a crisis in Venezuela could “impact on the surrounding region”.

      In the “Information Operations” topic, it is clear that the NSA engaged in “military deception” (MILDEC), “psychological operations” (PSYOP) and “inter-agency Strategic Communication ... to influence target behaviour and activities” in order to mislead their so called adversaries, in Venezuela, Iran, North Korea, and China.

      Venezuela was also on the NSA’s list of countries where it “ensures diplomatic advantage for the US” in foreign policy by monitoring diplomatic communications.

      In its article about the leaked documents, the NYT further described a PowerPoint presentation from August 2010 on the “Development of the Venezuelan Economic Mission”. According to the NYT, “The NSA was tracking billions of dollars flowing to Caracas in loans from China (radar systems and oil drilling), Russia (MIG fighter planes and shoulder-fired missiles) and Iran (a factory to manufacture drone aircraft)”.

      The newspaper also claims that the NSA observed Venezuela’s Finance and Planning Ministry, monitoring the governmental and personal emails of the top 10 Venezuelan economic officials. “An NSA officer in Texas, in other words, was paid each day to peruse the private messages of obscure Venezuelan bureaucrats, hunting for tidbits [sic] that might offer some tiny policy edge,” the NYT stated.

      Venezuelan government reaction

      Yesterday Venezuela’s foreign minister Elias Jaua reacted to the new leak. “It’s unacceptable that they spy on us... and on any government,” he said. “It’s not a surprise for us, we know it, and it’s precisely [this sort of thing] that has meant that the relationship between Venezuela and the United States is at the level that it is at”.

      Venezuela and the US haven’t had ambassadors in each other’s countries since 2010. In October this year, Venezuela also expelled three US diplomats, including its Chargé d’Affaires, accusing them of being involved in a destabilisation plot. The next day the US then expelled three Venezuelan diplomats, including Chargé d’Affaires Calixto Ortega.

      Rodrigo Cabezas, who was minister of finances in 2007 and therefore likely to have been one of the ten civil servants spied on, said, “For us it’s clear that the North America spying system violates article 12 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights... every country in Latin America and the Caribbean...should take precautions to...guarantee that the transnationals who manage information don’t lend themselves to spying on citizens and their governments”.

      Source URL (retrieved on 05/11/2013 - 7:12pm): http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/10144