31560What Is Really Happening In Syria Today? Mother Agnes-Mariam North America Speaking Tour ~ Saturday, November 9th . 7:00-10:00 PM at Jesus Sacred Heart Church in North Hollywood

  • Frank Dorrel
    Nov 4, 2013
      What Is Really Happening In Syria Today?

      Mother Agnes-Mariam North America Speaking Tour

      Saturday, November 9th * 7:00-10:00 PM
      Jesus Sacred Heart Church
      10837 Collins Street, North Hollywood 91601

      Mother Agnes will be speaking this Saturday about her work trying to stop
      the violence in her country,
      countering the capitalist press and those who want to rush us into another
      war.

      Mother Agnes-Mariam de la Croix, a Carmelite nun from the Monastery of St
      James the Mutilated in Syria,
      is here as part of her nation-wide tour:

      www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=453834341404677&set=pb.163093090478805.-2207
      520000.1383536420.&type=3&theater

      Questions Email: AA4SYRIA@...

      Published on Friday, November 1, 2013 by Common Dreams
      <http://www.commondreams.org>
      In the Name of Love & Nonviolence, Let Us Strive to Heal Syria
      An Open Letter to the American People from Nobel Peace Laureate Mairead
      Maguire
      www.commondreams.org/view/2013/11/01-6

      My Dear Friends,
      As a teenager living in Belfast, I admired the American Peace Movement and
      many prominent figures within it. Fifty years later, two of the most
      inspiring people still remembered across the world are Americans: Martin
      Luther King and Dorothy Day.
      American peace activists and civil rights workers were imprisoned, some
      killed. But a generation spoke and sang about love.
      Like Mahatma Gandhi in India, the Berrigan Brothers in the Peace Movement
      and the American Civil Rights Movement show us that the path to freedom and
      equality is a peaceful one. This journey of transformation in the pursuit of
      peace and justice is a constant challenge to the entrenched powers which
      thrive on hatred and war; acting as a constant challenge to blind prejudice
      and the lies that are necessary for war.
      In making this journey of love we must always acknowledge that those we
      regard as enemies are fellow human beings and we are called to love them .
      If we don't, when do the killing fields stop?
      I first came to you from Northern Ireland to speak to you about what was
      happening in my country. I was met with great kindness in America. Now I
      write to you to about Syria.
      We must not allow a war to go on for decades, as many did in regards to
      Ireland. We must have the foresight to stand up for peace, nonviolence and
      reconciliation now, before the suffering is entrenched and before prejudices
      and lies seep deeply into the consciousness of a new generation, acting as
      seeds for more yet more war.
      I write to you to ask your help for the people of Syria. All the people of
      Syria deserve your attention. Like you, they want the opportunity to live,
      love and labour in support of their children's dreams. With your efforts we
      can make it a bright future in a peaceful and prosperous country where love
      will conquer all.
      The people of Syria are a diverse people, a courageous and generous people
      with a proud history of tolerance. Over many centuries, their country has
      welcomed millions of disparate people seeking refuge just as the United
      States has done.
      I visited Syria in May 2013. Despite the on-going violence, I found it to be
      a land of hope. I met tribal and religious leaders, political dissidents and
      grieving parents and widows. In Syria, there are millions of ordinary folk
      risking their lives for a peaceful, reconciled and united Syria they can all
      love.
      Mother Agnes Mariam, one of the leaders of the Mussalaha (reconciliation)
      Movement in Syria, is on a speaking tour
      <http://www.syriasolidaritymovement.org/mother-agnes-mariam/mother-agnes-mar
      iam-speaking-tour-calendar/> of America this November. Mother Agnes Mariam
      has sat at a table with the prime minister of Syria has and has eaten olives
      with a rebel leader. And recently she risked her life to negotiate the safe
      passage of thousands of civilians and of many fighters from a conflict zone.
      Your heroes, the heroes we all uphold, show us bridges of nonviolence &
      peace must be built between people. War stems from hatred & lies. Peace
      requires courage, wisdom & love. And foresight.
      Mother Agnes is bringing to America a universal message your country knows
      well. She presents it through the story of Syria. I encourage you to hear
      the story of Syria.
      Peace,
      Mairead Maguire
      <http://www.commondreams.org/author/mairead-maguire>
      Mairead Corrigan Maguire won the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize for her work for
      peace in Northern Ireland. Her book, The Vision of Peace (edited by John
      Dear, with a foreword by Desmond Tutu and a preface by the Dalai Lama) is
      available from www.wipfandstock.com . She lives in Belfast, Northern
      Ireland. See: www.peacepeople.com