31559Re: [LAAMN] Venezuela one of six "enduring targets" in NSA's official mission list from 2007

  • scotpeden
    Nov 3 5:50 PM

      That's a very interesting article.

      Your excerpt is about 2/3rds the way down, though one of the more
      informative few paragraphs, none the less it gives a nice over view of

      To use one of their own Security State quotes, if they have nothing to
      hide, then they should not have anything to Fear, yet the NSA is one of
      the most secretive organizations in the world.

      We're not even certain the President really knows what they do, we are
      certain that those in Congress and the Senate that are suppsoe to over see
      them, have no idea what is really going on as they are only told what they
      want to hear.

      Last but not least, you and I fund this with our tax dollars, so they whom
      are fearful of us can watch our every movement. Yup, we're a Demonocracy
      all right.

      > Venezuela, for instance, was one of six "enduring targets" in NSA's
      > official mission list from 2007, along with China, North Korea, Iraq, Iran
      > and Russia. The United States viewed itself in a contest for influence in
      > Latin America with Venezuela's leader then, the leftist firebrand Hugo
      > Chavez, who allied himself with Cuba, and one agency goal was "preventing
      > Venezuela from achieving its regional leadership objectives and pursuing
      > policies that negatively impact U.S. global interests."
      > A glimpse of what this meant in practice comes in a brief PowerPoint
      > presentation from August 2010 on "Development of the Venezuelan Economic
      > Mission." The NSA was tracking billions of dollars flowing to Caracas in
      > loans from China (radar systems and oil drilling), Russia (MiG fighter
      > planes and shoulder-fired missiles) and Iran (a factory to manufacture
      > drone aircraft).
      > But it was also getting up-close and personal with Venezuela's Ministry of
      > Planning and Finance, monitoring the government and personal emails of the
      > top 10 Venezuelan economic officials. An NSA officer in Texas, in other
      > words, was paid each day to peruse the private messages of obscure
      > Venezuelan bureaucrats, hunting for tidbits that might offer some tiny
      > policy edge.
      > Fullo article here
      > http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/19040101_No_morsel_too_minuscule_for_Allconsuming_NSA.html
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic