31483Food companies that hid donations against labeling GMO food

  • scotpeden
    Oct 27, 2013
      Pepsi, Coke, Nestle Top Multi-Million-Dollar Campaign
      Against I-522
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28561.cfm

      Scroll down for other companies that illegally hid their
      donations, in an attempt to keep us from knowing what is
      in our food, and at the very bottom is a link which also
      shows the companies that donated to support labeling,
      so consumers can make informed choices.

      Statement on GMA Lawsuit and Food Corporations' Donations
      to NO on I-522
      http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28562.cfm

      Last week's _lawsuit_
      (http://www.atg.wa.gov/uploadedFiles/Complaint-20131016-Conformed.pdf) ,
      filed by the Washington State Attorney
      General against the Grocery Manufacturers Association for
      violating the state's campaign finance disclosure laws, forced
      the GMA to disclose the names of the food companies that
      have donated to the campaign to defeat I-522. I-522 is a
      Washington state ballot initiative that, if passed on November 5,
      will require food manufacturers who sell their products at retail
      to label those products that contain genetically modified
      organisms (GMOs).

      "This is a win for the grassroots and for consumers," said
      Ronnie Cummins, National Director of the OCA. "Consumers
      _boycotted_
      (http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50865/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=8959)
      food companies, and the organic and natural brands
      they own, after the companies contributed more than $23 million
      last year to defeat a GMO labeling law in California. Desperate
      to avoid another round of consumer backlash, food manufacturers
      were forced to hide behind the GMA in Washington State this
      year. Now, the GMA has damaged the NO on I-522 campaign's
      credibility by breaking the law, and also has exposed the true
      intent of food manufacturers who are desperate to protect their
      profits by refusing to provide truth and transparency in food labeling."

      The grassroots group, Moms for Labeling, fired the first volley
      against the GMA with a _lawsuit_
      (http://momsforlabeling.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/complaint.pdf)
      alleging that the GMA was
      laundering donations to the campaign, on behalf of food
      companies, through special assessments. When a judge
      dismissed the group's lawsuit, on a technicality, state Attorney
      General Bob Ferguson picked up where Moms for Labeling left
      off, filing a similar _lawsuit_
      (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_28554.cfm) on behalf of
      the state.

      The GMA had previously reported donations of $7.2 million
      to the NO on I-522 campaign. In response to the lawsuit
      filed by the state, the GMA published this list of donations,
      showing that food companies are behind millions in donations
      to the NO campaign.

      Pinnacle Foods Group LLC $120,846
      The J. M. Smucker Company $241,091
      Rich Products Corporation $24,049
      General Mills, Inc. $598,819
      PepsiCo, Inc. $1,620,899
      Bunge North America, Inc. $94,993
      Bumble Bee Foods, LLC $36,073
      Bush Brothers & Company A $16,233
      Moody Dunbar, Inc. $1,804
      Dean Foods Company $120,245
      Kellogg Company$ 221,852
      Nestlé USA, Inc. $1,052,743
      ConAgra Foods $285,281
      Bimbo Bakeries USA $94,693
      Welch Foods, Inc. $28,859
      Knouse Foods Cooperative, Inc. $14,429
      Bruce Foods Corporation $3,006
      Abbott Nutrition $127,459
      Campbell Soup Company $265,140
      Del Monte Foods Company $86,576
      Sunny Delight Beverages Company$ 21,043
      Shearer's Foods, Inc. -$ 25,251
      Mondelez Global LLC $144,895
      Land O'Lakes, Inc. $99,803
      The Coca-Cola Company $1,047,332
      The Hillshire Brands Company $97,398
      The Hershey Company $248,305
      Hormel Foods Corporation $52,908
      Clement Pappas & Company, Inc. $21,043
      McCormick & Company, Inc. $102,208
      Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. $55,313
      Flowers Foods, Inc. $141,288
      Cargill, Inc. $98,601
      The Clorox Company $12,024

      Totals $ 7,222,500

      Look Who's Spending Millions to Defeat GMO Labeling in Washington
      http://organicconsumersfund.org/label/I-522-funders.cfm

      Chart shows which food companies donated to support labeling,
      and which donated to oppose our right to know if our food is
      genetically modified
      http://tinyurl.com/mmdomk9