31472Green, Not Greed! Speak Out to Save Open Space! Attend the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors Public Hearing on Tuesday, October 29th, 9:30 AM - 500 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, Room 381B

  • Frank Dorrel
    Oct 25, 2013
      Sent From Matt Berkelhammer: mattberkelhammer@...

      Green, Not Greed!

      Speak Out to Save Open Space!

      Make Your Voice Heard Against Oil Drilling on Public Land!

      Attend the Public Hearing on Tuesday, October 29th at 9:30 AM

      At The Los Angeles Board of Supervisors
      500 West Temple Street, Los Angeles, Room 381B

      <http://gloriamolina.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/1171.jpg> 117

      On October 29th at 9:30 a.m. the Board of Supervisors will hold a public
      hearing on Whittier and Matrix Oil's proposal to drill for oil on open space
      land purchased with your Prop A County taxpayer dollars. We need your
      voice, your letters, and your calls to say no to oil drilling on Prop A
      land!

      In 1992 County voters approved Prop A and agreed to tax themselves to create
      a fund to forever acquire, restore and preserve parks, wildlife and open
      space land throughout the County. The City of Whittier applied for and
      received millions of taxpayer dollars to purchase 1,280 acres of open space
      in the Whittier Hills-shutting down the former Chevron oil field and
      promising to forever restore critical habitat and maintain this land for
      recreation and open space!

      Whittier took your taxpayer dollars to buy property for a public open space.
      Now they want to "lease" that land to a private oil company for 25 years!
      The oil company will be given the right to drill for oil underneath all
      1,280 acres. The profit, of course, will go to the Oil Company and the City
      of Whittier's General Fund. The lease will allow:

      * Matrix Oil to operate on a 24/7 schedule;
      * Construction facilities, earth moving, grading, oil and gas
      pipelines, an oil processing facility, debris, waste operations, job site
      and vehicles to enter a delicate core habitat which currently does not even
      allow hikers;
      * Tanker trucks measuring 58 feet to transport oil and water off site
      up to six times per day during drilling and monitoring; and
      * A final project phase of drilling up to 57 additional wells

      The Oil Project sits next to an active Whittier Fault line which increases
      the potential for oil pipe ruptures or spills. Apart from disrupting core
      protected habitat, creating visual blight, closing hiking trails and
      subjecting the local community to dangers of noise, air and potential water
      pollution, the Whittier/Matrix Oil Project could set a dangerous precedent
      for the use and development of Prop A open space in your community as well.

      We take a lot of things for granted- especially our Parks and Open Space. If
      you want to continue to enjoy green and open places to walk, play, hike and
      enjoy native plants and wildlife we have to speak up and speak out to save
      our open space!

      For More Information Please Visit: http://gloriamolina.org/green-not-greed
      or: http://parks.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dpr/osd

      For an extremely informative FAQ sheet, please see:
      http://gloriamolina.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/gng_faq.pdf

      What you can do:

      >>> Attend and speak at the LA County Board of Supervisors Public Hearing on
      October 29. Bring your friends, neighbors, and coworkers.
      Whittier Hills Oil Watch (WHOW) is urging all participants to wear green or
      blue to show opposition to the oil drilling project.
      >>> Join the Facebook event page at: www.facebook.com/events/241220166028242

      >>> Sign the petition to the Supervisors at:
      http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/oil-drilling-could-becoming?source=c.url
      <http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/oil-drilling-could-becoming?source=c.url&r
      _by=9211975> &r_by=9211975