6th Street Bridge Update
- Mayor Villaraigosa Heeds FoLAR's Call for Bridge CompetitionApril, 2012Alkalai-Silica Reaction is turning 6th Street Bridge's concrete into jellyAll over the Earth, bridges are important symbols of their metropolises. Everyone knows the Rialto Bridge in Venice, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Golden Gate.Rialto Bridge, Venice ItalyBrooklyn BridgeGolden Gate BridgeDear Friends,The fourteen bridges over the Los Angeles River in downtown are the graceful legacy of the City's era of optimistic expansion in the 1920s and 30s. The 6th Street Bridge is one of the most distinctive in its design, and also the one bridge whose deteriorating condition jeopardizes its survival.The City has called for its replacement, and for two and half years FoLAR has been lobbying for an international design competition to come up with a fitting new structure. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for Los Angeles to rise to the occasion and build a bridge that is as much of a landmark as its predecessor, a 21st century structure so striking that it comes to symbolize the City. A bridge that our River can love.This Thursday, April 12, FoLAR's efforts will be rewarded when Mayor Villaraigosa hosts a community event to announce the launch of a design competition for the new 6th Street Bridge.This is a major step in advancing FoLAR's vision of a dramatic new symbol for the City and for the revitalization of the Los Angeles River. Our vision is:
- A bridge that helps create more Riverfront open space, restored natural habitat and improved water quality,
- A bridge with dedicated bicycle and pedestrian ways that fosters greater connection between neighborhoods and to the River,
- A bridge that encourages vibrant Riverfront communities on both banks,
Bridges rightfully come to symbolize a city's aspirations, its hopes and dreams. We look forward to realizing this exciting new symbol rising over the once-again vibrant Los Angeles River as it courses through the heart of downtown.You, too, can be a part of this vision. Please become a member or make an additional contribution today to keep FoLAR strong and working for a better River for us all.See you down by the River,Lewis MacAdamsFounder and President
- A bridge that anticipates the future of an easily-accessed Riverfront free of train tracks on both sides.