This Months Current News

  • folar
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2009
      Send us your photos and River experiences so we can share YOUR River!

      FoLAR has a new store at CafePress.com - help us raise funds by buying an LA River t-shirt, travel mug, or hat!

      Friends of the Los Angeles River
      570 W Ave 26, Suite 250
      Los Angeles, CA 90065
      ph. 323.223.0585

      Coming Right Up!

      Friday, August 28 - 6p-10p Disposable Routines Opening Reception at Cella Gallery Join international filmmakers Beatriz Barragan Horn & Janine Stengel for an interactive art experience exploring the way we live and consume. More infomation available HERE.

      Friday & Saturday, August 28th & 29th - 8.30p Hold Your Mud, L.A. Highways presents a symphonic interpretative expression of a collection of photographs taken Barbara T. Smith during the 1970s. Music and mud. More information HERE, and click on Performance on the left of the page.

      Saturday, August 29th - 9a-noon LA River Clean Up at Taylor Yard with Aquarius Spring! Come out and pick up the accumulated trash in the River, directions HERE. Check out the LA Times coverage of last week!

      Tuesday & Wednesday, Sept 15th & 16th - All day both days! Compton Gateway: Symposium for Creekside Community Development Join the LA & San Gabriel Rivers Watershed Council and UCLA Cooperative Extension to discuss, debate, and discover a vision for the Compton Gateway that incorporates stream habitat, recreation, economic opportunities, transportation, and more! See the details HERE.

      Thursday, September 17th - 6-9p Introducing our Artists Studio Vists Series with artist Gregory Michael Hernandez - More infomation available HERE.

      Saturday, Sept 19th - 9a-noon Coastal CleanUp Day with FoLAR and City Councilman Tony Cardenas. Heal the Bay's annual Coastal Clean Up Day has come inland, to remind us that the trash at the beaches often comes from the Rivers and waterways that lead to the ocean. FoLAR is hosting the Sepulveda Basin site with Councilmember Cardenas - so come out an join the fun. Not at our usual Sepulveda Site! Check out the Heal the Bay site for directions and details.

      Sunday, Sept 20th - 4:30p-6p LA River Walk starting at the Bette Davis Picnic Area! Come out for a casual stroll with a FoLAR's Executive Director, Shelly Backlar, who will answer all your River questions, directions HERE.

      Wednesday, Sept 30th - 7:30a-5p Conservation Forum: Recycled Water/Plants/Soil Compatibility Join LA Parks & Recreation at the LA Arboretum in Arcadia for a coversation on the succesful use of recycled water on drought tolerant plants in park settings. A panel discussion on how drought tolerant plants can be used in parks and how to conserve water. Email rmarks@... for registration materials and more information.

      Anytime in Pasadena, Aug 22nd-Sept 27th - Take yourself on a tour! - Via bike, bus, metro, car, or foot, the City of Pasadena wants you to weigh in on the General Plan! What would be better than taking a tour of the areas slated for improvements? Check out the General Plan site for the details by clicking HERE.

      Sunday, October 4th - 9a-4:30p LA River South Taco & Paleta Tour with Jenny Price - Join Jenny for our new south LA River tour, with tacos for lunch and paletas (fresh fruit popsicles) in the afternoon! This tour is all day, but as it's a car caravan tour, you can come for just the morning or for the whole day! Starting in Downtown LA and finishing in Long Beach - more infomation available HERE.

      City of LA Update on the LA River Revitalization Master Plan

      If you missed the latest River Update Meeting (RUM), don't worry, you can still get all the fun info on their website. The Bureau of Engineering put together a comprehensive presentation that you can download HERE. Some of the most exciting details:

      • Presentations were made by Carol Armstrong, of the Bureau of Engineering, as well as Claire Bowen of the Dept of Planning, and representatives from the Community Redevelopment Agency, and the Army Corps of Engineers, who are partnering with the Bureau of Engineering on the feasibility study.
      • Federal funding to kick off the Master Plan may be as much as $25 million - although that was awarded in 2007 before the recession and is subject to appropriations. The City of LA will match the final amount appropriated. At the meeting, we talked about just how we want that money spent.
      • Details of the nine priority projects and the funding already awarded to those projects are in the presentation on page 5. Bike paths are coming!
      • Go to the website HERE, scroll down to the July 28th, 2009 RUM, and download the full presenation for more information and to get excited about River Revitalization!

      Don't forget to renew your membership!

      Our new Membership page allows you to choose the amount you'd like to donate each month! $5, $10, $20, every dollar helps us towards our goals of a swimmable, fishable, boatable River!

      If you're not sure if you are current member, send an email to rmarks@... to find out.

      Salmon in the Seine?

      Paris is reporting a return a of the Salmon in the Seine River! Atlantic Salmon haven't been seen in the Seine since just after World War 2, when pollution levels made it unlivable for the sensitive fish. Due to clean up efforts, the River has become inviting and the population is returning. If they can do it...

      Current News
      August 2009

      FoLAR Action Alert! Stop The Bulldozers!

      The LA County Department of Public Works (LACDPW) is asking the Regional Water Quality Control Board (Water Board) to give them a 5 year 401 permit to bulldoze two of the most critical natural bottom stretches in the Los Angeles River watershed: the Willow Street estuary in Long Beach and the Compton Creek - all without having done sufficient research on the environmental impact of their actions.

      We urge you to discourage the Water Board from issuing this 401 permit, and insist that the LACDPW begin a substantive study of flood protection alternatives that include habitat protection and restoration. You can make a difference!

      Join FoLAR at the Sept 3rd Water Board meeting at the Metropolitan Water District building downtown and ask that the Water Board ensure that the LACDPW doesn't continue to use the most devastating technique on the limited and scarce open space inhabited by the birds and fish of the LA River. There are alternatives and we will encourage the Water Board to ask the LACDPW to employ those alternatives. If you cannot make it, please send us an email and your comments will be shared with the Water Board. You can also contact the Water Board directly by emailing Valerie Carillo.

      Meeting information:
      Where: 700 N Alameda St, Los Angeles, 90012, Water Board Board Room
      When: 9:00am, Wednesday, Sept 3rd

      For more information about the 401 permit process click HERE.
      To review the past Water Board resolution in regard to this permit click HERE.

      Gregory Michael Hernandez

      September 17th, 6-9pm

      FoLAR is proud to announce a studio visit with artist Gregory Michael Hernandez.

      Hernandez' unique vision for the River gives the viewer a 360 degree view in geometric, two-dimensional photographs as well as in three-dimensions (photo at right). He has generously offered to host a viewing at his studio, just off the LA River in Cypress Park.

      Join FoLAR staff & Board members for a peek into the artist's space. Hernandez' work is best seen in person, so join us for a casual but exclusive evening of River appreciation through art. Refreshments will be served and a portion of proceeds from art sales will be donated to FoLAR.

      Event Details

      What: Studio Visit with Gregory Michael Hernandez
      Where: 246 N Ave 25, LA, 90031, at the corner of Ave 25 and Humboldt St. Parking will be available, signs will point the way.
      When: 6pm-9pm
      How: This event will be free, however donations to FoLAR will be accepted.

      For more information go to our website.

      Announcing FoLAR's LA River Photo Competition!

      Call for entries!

      FoLAR wants to publish your best LA river shot as a postcard for mailing all over the world.

      How: $35 entry fee, which will also make you a member of FoLAR. Current members can enter for free!

      Deadline: October 31st, 2009. Late submissions will not be reviewed. Winners will be announced November 16th.

      Send to: FoLARphotos@... - Entries accepted in digital format only.
      Director of the Month of August: James Rojas

      Revitalization of the LA River will come from community conscience building.

                                                                                                                               James Rojas
                                                                                                                               Urban Planner/Artist
                                                                                                                               FoLAR Board Member

      Check out this video of James' Reimagining Chinatown. James described the evening in this way: "Saturday night was a flurry of urban interventions in Chinatown as local residents, artists, curators, urban planners, children, and the general public participated in the Re-Imagining Chinatown art opening/community visioning meeting. The Fifth Floor became an impromptu urban planning "store" with shelves liningthe walls that hosted an array of small, colorful buildings made from recycled objects. Visitors took these buildings off the shelves and placed them on an interactive map/model of Chinatown, the Cornfields, Elysian Park, and parts of the LA River, located in the middle of the gallery. From a disco city on the LA River to a large bridge that connected the Cornfields to North Broadway, the ideas were everything from whimiscal to serious. This process forced participants to think creatively and playfully. Children as well as adults shared their urban interventions for the area. The map/model heped participants express and share their ideas and visions for this area. The model constantly changed throughout the night as the work built upon the contributions of others." Next, James will bring his unique form of urban planning to the 2009 International Architectural Biennale, featuring a model of Rotterdam.

      The FoLAR Board of Directors
      For the next year or so, Current News will feature one board member a month, introducing you to the eclectic, intelligent, and engaged bunch that steers the FoLAR boat. If you think you belong amongst this team of intrepid enthusiasts, consider contacting us for more information on how you can help guide FoLAR and the LA River into the future.
      FoLAR Thanks You for Caring About the Los Angeles River

      Address postal inquiries to:
      Friends of the Los Angeles River
      570 W. Ave 26, Ste. 250
      Los Angeles, CA 90065-1047
      Powered By
      eTapestry     Delivra
    • folar
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2009
        Send us your photos and River experiences so we can share YOUR River!

        FoLAR has a new store at CafePress.com - help us raise funds by buying an LA River t-shirt, travel mug, or hat!

        Friends of the Los Angeles River
        570 W Ave 26, Suite 250
        Los Angeles, CA 90065
        ph. 323.223.0585

        Join FoLAR on Facebook! Get regular updates on activities and easily send information on to your friends!
        Coming Right Up!

        Friday, October 2 - 12:15p-3:30p Breaking the Climate Deadlock: The Governers Global Climate Summit 2 Join Governer Arnold Schwarzzenegger, Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, and NY Times Foreign Affairs Columnist Thomas Friedman for a luncheon program. Contact Terri New to RSVP, tickets are $200. More info HERE.

        Saturday, October 3rd - 9a-1p Assemblymember Kevin De Leon's 2nd Annual Health and Fitness Fair Held at 1900 N San Fernando Road, LA, 90065: Rio de Los Angeles State Park! Free vision, dental, and hearing tests, free massages, and much more!

        Sunday, October 4th - 9a-noon Nature Park Clean-up on the Arroyo Seco Barbara Eisenstein hosts a monthly clean up of the Arroyo Seco Nature Park. More info HERE.

        Tuesday, Oct 13th - 5.30p-7.30p High-Speed Rail Alternatives Analysis Presentation and Comments. Join FoLAR and stakeholders to review the high-speed rail proposals for track movements through downtown LA and along the River. At the LA River Center & Gardens, 570 W Ave 26, Los Angeles, CA 90065.

        Saturday, October 17th - 7a-12:30p C3 Compton Creek Clean Up Register with the City of Compton Dept of Planning & Economic Development and join in for trash pick-up, graffiti removal, data collection, and landscaping! Details HERE.

        Sunday, October 18th - River Walk See article at right.

        Sunday, October 18th - 2p-2a Footsies County Fair! - Join us our local bar Footsies for a last blast in the summer sun. This event will include a dunk tank, games, bands, and will help to raise money for FoLAR and other local non-profits! 2640 N Figueroa, LA, 90065.

        Sunday, October 25th - 9a-4:30p LA River South Taco & Paleta Tour with Jenny Price - Join Jenny for our new south LA River tour, with tacos for lunch and paletas (fresh fruit popsicles) in the afternoon! This tour is all day, but as it's a car caravan tour, you can come for just the morning or for the whole day! Starting in Downtown LA and finishing in Long Beach - more infomation available HERE.
        The Army Corps v. Arundo donax

        That's right, face off time...

        The Army Corps of Engineers has been given federal funding to remove invasive plant species from the Glendale Narrows section of the Los Angeles River. A draft Environmental Assessment for the Los Angeles River-Glendale Narrows Non-Native Vegetation Removal Project is now available to the public.

        The best way to weigh in? View the document online HERE. The review period ENDS October 23rd. So go there now.

        This is a big document. Language is repeated often, so don't be intimidated by the length. To help you, we recommend reading pages 8-11, section 3.0 "Alternatives Considered". Note that the preferred alternative, #4, is to remove only non-native vegetation. Other alternatives include removing all vegetation or removing none. There is a lot of interesting information in this Environmental Assessment - we recommend taking a look and giving your comments so the Corps gets public feedback.

        Copies can also be picked up at three LA Public Library Locations: the Atwater Village Branch at 3379 Glendale Blvd, The Cypress Branch at 1150 Cypress Ave, and Downtown at 630 W. 5th St.

        Don't forget to renew your membership!

        Our new Membership page allows you to choose the amount you'd like to donate each month! $5, $10, $20, every dollar helps us towards our goals of a swimmable, fishable, boatable River!

        If you're not sure if you are current member, send an email to rmarks@... to find out.

        Ever Wondered How to
        Make the Most of your Donations?

        Have you started to plan for retirement? Do you have a living will? If FoLAR hosted an educational seminar on planned giving, would you attend?

        We know that you care about the LA River and its future. We know that you give what you can to help us ensure that someone is always watching out for the Rivers interests. Did you know that you can avoid costing your heirs taxes by donating to a non-profit in your will?

        FoLAR is learning about planned donations. If you want to know more about how to donate to FoLAR for a tax break for your heirs, please contact Ramona.

        Current News
        October 2009

        Vote for FoLAR!

        Patagonia has nominated Friends of the LA River as one of three organizations eligible to win grant money through their "Voice Your Choice" Campaign! Of the three, the top vote getter will win $2,500. Second- and third-place will win $1,500 and $1,000 respectively. It's up to you!

        Cast your vote for FoLAR! You can help - go to the Patagonia store in Santa Monica (2936 Main St, 90405 - see map HERE) and cast your vote between now and October 24th. FoLAR will be in store on Table Days, Oct 10th & 17th. Get more info, speak to a FoLAR representative, maybe pick up a copy of the Fish Study? And VOTE for FoLAR!
        Update on the County Bulldozing Permit

        Last month we asked you to attend a public meeting with the Regional Water Quality Board to voice your concerns and outrage over the proposed bulldozing of the Willow Estuary and Compton Creek. Well, prepare to be even more outraged.

        Instead of having a public comment hearing, the Water Board had to announce (to their acknowledged embarrassment) that they allowed the permit to remain on file for over 1 year, effectively approving the permit by default! If the Water Board doesn't review a permit within a year, it is automatically approved. And this week, the County has bulldozed the Compton Creek, just like they always do...

        A truly sad sight to see. Take a look at this LA Times article for the full story.

        Keep your eyes open - another fun way to help FoLAR raise much needed funds!

        LA Weekly's LA 101  on November 3rd featuring

        Silversun Pickups

        The Dandy Warhols & Matt and Kim
        Plus the KROQ Locals Only Stage featuring the best of LA!

        Get tickets now at www.LiveNation.com! Each ticket sold benefits FoLAR!

        A Special Robinson Jeffers River Walk
        on the Arroyo Seco

        October 18th, 3.30p-5p
        Lower Arroyo Seco Nature Park

        Meet at the Lower Arroyo Seco Nature Park parking lot, enter at S. Arroyo Blvd and Norwood Dr. Map HERE.

        As part of The Big Read: Robinson Jeffers and the Ecology of Nature, FoLAR and Occidental College have partnered to bring you a special River Walk along the Arroyo Seco, celebrating poetry and nature. Explore one of the beautiful tributaries of the Los Angeles River that features restored native vegetation, walking paths, and
        spectacular, historic bridges.

        River Walks are on the third Sunday of each month, and we suggest a $10 donation for folks who are not yet members of FoLAR. To become a member, click HERE.

        We meet at 4:30pm during the summer and 3:30pm during the winter. Walks last for an hour and a half and are led by a FoLAR staff or board member. Come ask your River questions and get introduced to a new section of River each month!

        The Big Read is an initiative of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with the Institute of Museum and Library Services and Arts Midwest.

        The LA River's paved downtown section is on TV again!?

        Check out the 1st Episode of this season of The Amazing Race featuring the one and only Los Angeles River...

        FoLAR's LA River Photo Competition - It's On!

        You have all month - now get shooting and send us your best shot!

        FoLAR wants to publish your best LA river shot as a postcard for mailing all over the world.

        How: $35 entry fee, which will also make you a member of FoLAR. Current members can enter for free!

        Deadline: October 31st, 2009. Late submissions will not be reviewed. Winners will be announced November 16th.

        Send to: FoLARphotos@... - Entries accepted in digital format only.

        Director of the Month of October: Michael Woo

        There are a lot of worthy non-profit organizations in L.A. But when you're asked to donate your time or your money, you have to make a choice based on where you can make the most difference. FoLAR is unique because the public's awareness of the River's potential is at an all-time high, and because government officials could make pivotal decisions shaping the River's future - but only if FoLAR is there on the scene, marshalling public awareness and government to do the right thing.

                                                                                                                                 Michael Woo
                                                                                                                                 Dean, College of Environmental Design, Cal Poly Pomona
                                                                                                                                 FoLAR Board Member