Come on the FoLAR Bus Tour! January 13th

  • Friends of the Los Angeles River
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2006
      SimpleSend eNewsletter
      Join/ Renew/Contribute    FoLAR Store    Upcoming Events

      FoLAR's
      Monthly
      E-Newsletter
      December 14, 2006

      Vol 20, No. 12

      Table of Contents

      >End of Year Appeal
      >FoLAR Bus Tour
         January 13th 2007
      >Hargreaves selected to
         design Cornfield Park
      >San Fernando Valley
         L.A. River Progress
      >Winter River Safety
      >2007 Walks Schedule
      >Save the Date

         La Gran Limpieza
         4/27 and 5/12 2007

      the calendar returns next year!

      End of Year Appeal
      By now you've probably received FoLAR's end-of-year appeal (assuming we have your mailing address.)  We're asking for your support to keep FoLAR strong and effective, and to build toward our goal of a fishable, swimmable, boatable Los Angeles River.  Please consider making your end-of-the year contribution.
      >Click here to donate online via PayPal

      January 13th 2007
      Los Angeles River Tour
      See the Mighty Los Angeles on a FoLAR Tour!
      FoLAR's bus tour of the Los Angeles is coming up on January 13th.  Sit back and let us do the driving!  Price of admission includes lunch, and many great sites along our local River.  The January tour will be lead by FoLAR outreach director Joe Linton, author of Down By The Los Angeles River: Friends of the Los Angeles River's Official Guide. Space is limited, so sign-up early.  For information and/or to sign up go to FoLAR's website, or email or call us at 323.223.0585.
      Upcoming River Tours:
      Saturday Jan 13th 10am-4:30pm
         Bus Tour - includes lunch
           (members $50/non-members $70 )
      Saturday Feb 17th 10am-4:30pm
         Car Caravan Tour
           (members $25/non-members $35)

      Hargreaves Associates
      selected to design
      L.A. State Historic Park

      California State Parks and California State Parks Foundation have completed their design competion for the Los Angeles State Historic Park (affectionately called the Cornfields).  The winner is Hargreaves Associates.  Based in San Francisco, Hargreaves Associates designed Crissy Field on the San Francisco waterfront, portions of the Guadalupe River Parkway in downtown San Jose, Louisville Waterfront Park, and other great projects all over the world.
      Hargreaves Associates' L.A. State Historic Park team includes many locals, including: long-time FoLAR collaborator (and Rivie Award Winner) architect Arthur Golding, architect Michael Maltzan, and landscape architect Katherine Spitz.  Hargreaves' competition entry design includes a central great lawn, a plaza area, natural, and bridges to Chinatown and Elysian Park.  Over the coming year, the design team will be working with community and other stakeholders to finalize the park design.

      San Fernando Valley Updates
      >> At the start of the L.A. River in Canoga Park in the West San Fernando Valley, the city's Los Angeles River Revitalization Master Plan specifies one of its five "opportunity sites".  Plans call for a large park that will including breaking open the concrete channel.
      >> In the West Valley, the city of L.A. will be constructing a 2-mile bike path on the south side of the L.A. River from Mason Avenue to Van Alden Avenue.  The project is funded, and construction is expected to start next year.
      >>In the East Valley, the city of L.A. is moving forward with additional L.A. River greenway projects.  With design and construction funding from the 1996 Proposition K, the city will be adding three new linear parks in the East Valley:
              1. Sepulveda Blvd to Kester Avenue (Sherman Oaks): This greenway park includes both sides of the River, just east of the Sepulveda Basin.  The project will include native landscaping and a bike path.
              2. Cedros Avenue to Van Nuys Blvd. (Sherman Oaks):  This park, located on the north side of the River, will extend the existing Ernie's Walk park to Van Nuys Boulevard.
              3. Coldwater Canyon Avenue to Whitsett Avenue (Studio City):  This extends the Studio City greenway upstream along the south side of the River.
      These parks are currently being designed (with community input).  The city anticipates beginning construction in mid-2007 and openings in mid-2008.

      Winter River Safety
      The rainy season is here.  That's a good thing for the health of the Los Angeles River, its watershed, and all of their inhabitants, but it's not the best time to experience the River.  When you access the River in the winter, please remember:
      - The River is very dangerous when it's raining.
      - Water levels can rise quickly.
      - Wet surfaces, especially sloped, are very slippery.
      - River bikeways are closed (gates locked) when
           rain is predicted.
      Enjoy the river safely!  If it's raining, curl up with a good book instead (we recommend The Los Angeles River: Its Life, Death and Possible Re-birth by Blake Gumprecht.)

      2007 Walks Schedule
       FoLAR's monthly Down By The River walks continue the third Sunday of each month (except December).  The detailed 2007 schedule is up now on the FoLAR website
       January 21 - Lower Compton Creek in Rancho Dominguez
       February 18 - Headwaters in Canoga Park
       March 18 - Marsh Park in Elysian Valley
       April 15 - Lashbrook Park in El Monte
       May 20 - Cornfields, now LA State Historic Park in Chinatown
       more details and more walks at folar.org

      Save the Date: May 12th 2007
      LA GRAN LIMPIEZA
      The Great L.A. River CleanUp
       FoLAR's 18th annual La Gran Limpieza will take place on Friday April 27th and Saturday May 12th 2007.   Friday is our River School Day and Friday CleanUp.  Saturday May 12th is big event - 15 sites, more than 3000 volunteers, music, food, the return of the Free T-shirt, and tons of trash!  We need sponsors, groups, donations and more - email us! Save the date and stay tuned to the FoLAR e-newsletter for more information!

      This message was sent to la-river-discuss@yahoogroups.com by:
      Friends of the Los Angeles River
      570 West Avenue 26 Suite 250
      Los Angeles, CA 90065