Re: Native plant community rescue nursery - let's do it!!

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
      - Each a fine upstanding institution surely, any one of wich would be
      of great assistance (along with the TheodorePayneFoundation) in setting
      up a native plant rescue nursery, or just with propagating and
      collecting seed and cuttings. But onsite transplanting, and
      propagating at a facility (nursery) setup right there north of the 210
      fwy, perhaps under the SCE power lines, would be the most practical and
      efficient way for Whitebird's paid landscape professionals to,(with
      help from local volunteers), set aside and care for uprooted plantings
      with a bare minimum of nursery equipment installed onsite, the
      beginnings of a public native plant community rescue nursery is begun!
      Once project proponent has fulfilled their 5 year plantings monitoring
      obligation, the by then fully equipped facility could pass to the
      volunteer organization, and we will operate it as a Los Angeles native
      plants only, not for profit, city owned provider of information,
      propagules, mycorrizhal innoculum, and seed to our neighbors, and to
      enhance projects by developers and city efforts in our area.
      Perhaps modeled on the TPF facility.
      Sincerely, Ricky Grubb.

      -- In la-river-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Hall <jishica@...>
      wrote:

      > All,
      > I am willing to go out there and help rescue plants. If we can't
      find a nursery before the bulldozers roll, is anyone willing to adopt
      plants until a suitable nursery/home for them can be found?

      > Jessica Hall
      >
      > PS. some other nursery options-have any of these been explored?
      > MRCA (Elyria Canyon)
      > State Parks (Malibu State Park- yes it's not local, but there may
      be space)
      > City of LA (Griffith Park)
      > North East Trees - they have a tree yard
      > Tree People - they have a nursery area too
      > LA County Arboretum
      > Rancho Santa Ana
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2006
        I also am quite willing, nay eager to rescue lots of the plants that
        will otherwise be destroyed and become a disposal problem for the
        developers of the Canyon Hills site. I can even take a few dozen
        plants at my nearby home. I don't have a place to put even a medium
        sized tree, and the developer has said none of the trees (of large or
        medium size) will be transplanted! NONE!
        This is the usual means for development, and if nothing is changed
        this surely will completely annhialate all the remnant native species
        diversity and replace them with Bermuda (devil) grass and
        ornamentals, what a waste of natures bounty. This wanton destruction
        serves no purpose, is purely lazyness, shows a lack of understanding
        of home buyers preferences (who appreciate the value of nature and
        the serenity and beauty it provides), can be remedied by a minimum of
        advance planning and care to set aside the living things that belong
        there and allow nature a place alongside people.
        We in LA suffer from this blight, and many residents are upset at
        our officials seeming indifference to the total loss of our beloved
        natural surroundings, they turn a deaf ear to our cries of
        protestation and feign ignorance of the duplicitous role the city
        agencys continue to play in the complete destruction of our natural
        rescources, they are our representitives, yet this is a great
        disservice to us, they are our designated stewards of the health and
        livability of our city, including our,(and natures), air, water, and
        health, and to not take steps to protect our scarce remaining native
        diversity is a serious breach of the publics trust we must not abide.
        Every neighborhood deserves, and can support their very own native
        plant nursery. With the help and support of the city, we now have the
        opportunity to establish the first of what I hope to be many "Native
        Plant Community Rescue Nursery(s)" here next to, and partly as a
        result of the development of this beautiful unspoiled wilderness to
        build 221 homes in council district 2, city of Los Angeles
        called "Canyon Hills".
        I'm proposing nothing less than a sea change in our development
        methods that will cost little to nothing over current destructive
        methods, and result in a sustainable and healthy community, one that
        has nature in every lot, has low water requirements due to the localy
        adapted plants, and encourages residents to enjoy and welcome local
        nature as co-inhabitants.

        Sincerely, Ricky Grubb.
        More to follow.

        wrote:

        > All,
        > I am willing to go out there and help rescue plants. If we can't
        find a nursery before the bulldozers roll, is anyone willing to adopt
        plants until a suitable nursery/home for them can be found?

        > Jessica Hall
        >
        > PS. some other nursery options-have any of these been explored?
        > MRCA (Elyria Canyon)
        > State Parks (Malibu State Park- yes it's not local, but there may
        be space)
        > City of LA (Griffith Park)
        > North East Trees - they have a tree yard
        > Tree People - they have a nursery area too
        > LA County Arboretum
        > Rancho Santa Ana

        Small Business.