LA River wildlife restoration

  • thewild0ne
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
      How can one get involved in restoring the Los Angeles riverbed to a
      more natural ecosystem that integrates with native flora and fauna?

      -L.A. native wildlife biologist
    • Dorothy Green
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2004
        First we must figure out how to deal with a one hundred year storm. That
        flood of water is what the river was designed to manage. Between wet years,
        we forget that the river can become a torrent. To revert back to natural
        would mean the elimination of some 8,000 homes plus to give the river the
        land it needs to flood.

        The Los Angeles & San Gabriel Rivers Watershed Council has been working for
        a number of years now to find ways to capture storm water where it falls,
        and get it underground -- to augment our drinking water supply as well as to
        reduce the amount of runoff. We also need to change our building and zoning
        laws to promote permeable paving and a whole host of other ways to get rain
        into the ground to reduce runoff. This will also improve water quality to
        the ocean. Building wetlands and other natural places can help as well as
        clean the water and improve property values and provide open space and a
        more natural environment. Proposition O on the November ballot will help to
        fund some of these necessities.

        For more info re our Water Augmentation Study, see our website:
        www.lasgrwc.org.

        Dorothy Green, President Emeritus, Watershed Council

        How can one get involved in restoring the Los Angeles riverbed to a
        more natural ecosystem that integrates with native flora and fauna?

        -L.A. native wildlife biologist

        Yahoo! Groups Links