This land is your land! Nature Walk at Ballona Sunday

  • Marcia Hanscom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2003
      Apologies for the late reminder -- but THIS Sunday is our monthly
      Ballona Wetlands Nature Walk.

      2 pm - 4:30 pm -- Sunday, October 5.

      This is a great time to see and experience the Ballona Wetlands, as many
      birds have begun migrating from as far away as Alaska, Idaho, Montana
      and elsewhere on the Pacific Flyway. Naturalist, botanist and marine
      biologist Robert Roy van de Hoek will interpret the natural wildlife you
      will see and explain how the natural history of the region and how all
      of the various parts of the Ballona Wetlands ecosystem work together.

      LAST month on our nature walk we saw a White-faced Ibis, not known to be
      recorded at Ballona for some significant number of years. The beautiful
      black, shimmering Ibis spent much of the afternoon feeding in Del Rey
      Lagoon and was a wonderful sight to see for those who keep track of the
      species frequenting Ballona.

      We hope you will join us.

      This is a special time, after nearly five years of conducting these
      walks, this is our first walk after the BIG announcement and vote by the
      Wildlife Conservation Board this past week approving the State's
      purchase agreement that will translate to the public soon owning more
      than 600 acres of the Ballona Wetlands.

      Add those 600+ acres to the lagoons, which are already in public
      ownership, and you can understand why scientists such as Dr. Joy Zedler
      call Ballona one of the pearls on a necklace along the Southern
      California coastline.

      Thanks to Governor Gray Davis -- VERY soon we will be able to say "This
      land is OUR land!" Come out and see why so many hundreds of people
      worked so hard to achieve this wonderful miracle!

      We meet at Del Rey Lagoon Park in Playa del Rey. Take 405 fwy. to 90
      Marina fwy., turn left at first signal at end of freeway (Culver Blvd.)
      Travel on Culver through the wetlands (enjoying them along your drive!)
      and at the VERY end of Culver, nearly at the sand, turn right on to
      Pacific. After one block, you will see Del Rey Lagoon Park on the
      right. Pass the first parking spaces, sport fields and picnic tables.
      Turn into the shade-tree parking lot, near the small dock in the
      lagoon. We meet in this parking lot.

      Marcia Hanscom
      Executive Director
      Wetlands Action Network