Friends of the Santa Clara River

  • Folar
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2002
      HAD ENOUGH?

      RALLY FOR THE RIVER AND OUR ENVIRONMENT
      DATE: SATURDAY 11-09-02 - TIME: 9:00 TO 12:00
      WHERE: CORNER OF VALENCIA BLVD. AND BOUQUET CYN ROAD

      TIRED OF THE MASSIVE UNMANAGED GROWTH OF THE SANTA CLARITA VALLEY, OVER -
      BURDENED ROADS & FREEWAY SYSTEMS, OVER - CROWDED SCHOOLS, DECLINE IN AIR
      QUALITY, AND LOSS OF OPEN SPACE? TIRED OF WORRYING ABOUT WATER QUALITY &
      SUPPLY? TIRED OF THE CITY OF SANTA CLARITA & COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
      DESTROYING OUR QUALITY OF LIFE? TIRED OF OUR CITY & COUNTY OFFICIALS WORKING
      FOR THE NEEDS OF DEVELOPERS, OVER THE NEEDS OF THE CITIZENS OF SANTA
      CLARITA?

      Some facts:
      The County of Los Angeles strongly opposes the proposed 3000 unit Ahmanson
      Ranch Project, another terribly environmentally damaging project, because of
      impacts to traffic and air quality in the Western San Fernando Valley. Yet
      they are about to shove the massive proposed 22,000 - home Newhall Ranch
      project along the Santa Clara River down our throats! The City & County have
      already approved 8000 homes along San Francisquito Creek. Another 1152 are
      proposed along the Santa Clara River near Newhall Ranch Road & Bouquet
      Canyon. Tens of thousands of homes have been built on our hillsides, or are
      now under construction, and even more homes have been approved for the
      pristine hillsides of Canyon Country, Newhall, Saugus, Valencia, Stevenson's
      Ranch, and the Pico Canyon area.

      To top it off: US Fish and Wildlife Service and the California Department of
      Fish and Game have written off the Santa Clara River and the species
      dependent upon it, knowing full well that the environmental documents
      provided by developers are inadequate. These documents fail to address the
      illegal activities that we know are threatening endangered species and
      raping the entire Santa Clarita Valley of its natural resources and
      biological diversity, making it unsuitable for even our more common
      wildlife. The state and federal agencies appear to be beholden to developers
      and not the citizens of the Santa Clarita Valley, and act more as
      subsidiaries of developers than responsible government agencies.

      COME LISTEN TO ENVIRONMENTAL GROUPS AND HEAR WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR LOCAL
      ENVIRONMENT . LEARN HOW YOU CAN PROTECT THE FUTURE OF THE SANTA CLARITA
      VALLEY!

      Speakers will be from 9:15 to 10:00 followed by a demonstration/rally along
      the river.

      Guest speakers in order of presentation:

      FRIENDS OF THE SANTA CLARA RIVER Ron Bottorff, FSCR Chair will address the
      Santa Clara River from its source to the Pacific Ocean, and current threats
      to our watershed and wildlife.

      CALIFORNIA NATIVE PLANT SOCIETY Ileene Anderson, California Native Plant
      Society Botanist will discuss the importance of Native Plants to our
      environment and how the Santa Clara River is a "safe deposit box " of plant
      diversity, with new plants being discovered there even now.

      AUDUBON SOCIETY, SAN FERNANDO VALLEY CHAPTER Kris Ohlenkamp will address
      the importance of the Santa Clara River to our Native Bird Life and threats
      faced by birds.

      SANTA CLARITA ORGANIZATION FOR PLANNING AND THE ENVIRONMENT (SCOPE) Lynne
      Plambeck, President, will address water quality and supply & its relation to
      the Santa Clara River. Please come and to learn how our water supply is
      threatened by Perchlorate Pollution in the Saugus Aquifer

      CENTER FOR BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY Teresa Ssvaikie will address threatened &
      endangered species in Santa Clarita & that extinction is in process.

      SANTA CLARITA OAK TREE CONSERVANCY Speaker to be determined. Learn how
      thousands and thousands of beautiful native oak trees are being destroyed
      including ancient oak trees & what you can do to save them.

      www.ScSmartGrowth.com Isaac will discuss how this valley is growing too
      fast to sustain a healthy quality of life and will discuss the hypocrisy of
      the City of Santa Clarita & LA County with regard to planning issues.

      Sarah Sunshine, COC Student & environmental activist will discuss the need
      for the younger generation to get involved in protecting our environment.

      For more information please contact Teresa Savaikie @ 661-263-9624 or by
      email at Bigbadmean@...

      ---