Re: [LAR] NO 14 concrete tilt-ups by the River!

  • TheJLamb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      Flyer in Word
    • TheJLamb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        Flyr in pdf - double click to open (Adobe Acrobat can be downloaded from the
        internet for free)
      • TheJLamb@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
          In addition to the information within the flyer, following is a short big
          picture write-up entitled:

          RELATIONSHIP OF THE PROPERTY TO THE RIVER

          The City of Azusa has been working diligently since 1999 to restore and
          reconnect the city with its' San Gabriel River corridor by adopting good
          planning practices. Currently, Azusa is in the process of updating its'
          General Plan. The open space component of the new General Plan will include
          concepts and ideas to preserve the foothills and river, making Azusa "a place
          where nature and city mix". This vision includes establishing a network of
          hiking trails, creating pocket parks in available open space, developing and
          maximizing public access points, and restoring natural habitat. Azusa will
          look to "restore the river, create areas of native trees where animals can
          live, where shade can cool the hiker or bike rider, where flood waters can
          slow down, where groundwater can be recharged, and where nature education is
          fun and hands on". Current river restoration projects include: extension of
          the existing San Gabriel River bike path, for which 1992 Proposition A
          funding has already been granted; a River Wilderness Park supported by the
          San Gabriel and Lower Los Angeles Rivers and Mountains Conservancy; a
          partnership with the USDA Forest Service to develop a River and Mountains
          Education Center and Interpretive Park; and a partnership with L.A. County
          Department of Public Works to landscape the perimeter of the San Gabriel
          Canyon Spreading Basins.

          The Todd Ave parcel will serve Azusa residents in a better capacity as an
          access point to the San Gabriel River. This parcel sits in close proximity
          to neighborhoods, allowing residents to walk or bike to the main San Gabriel
          River bike path and also to the San Gabriel Canyon Spreading Basins that will
          soon become a passive recreational area. The rock quarry conveyor belt and
          haul road are actually temporary uses along the river, to be removed in 15-20
          years when quarry operations cease. This will grant the city another
          opportunity to create public open space.

          The importance of open space is reaching all levels of government. On
          the Federal level, Congresswoman Hilda Solis has proposed a bill to authorize
          the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study of the
          Lower Los Angeles River and San Gabriel River watersheds to determine the
          feasibility of establishing these areas as a unit of the National Park
          System. At the state level, the Resources Agency, Department of Parks and
          Recreation has made available numerous grants through Proposition 12 the Safe
          Neighborhood Parks, Clean Water, Clean Air, and Coastal Protection Bon Act of
          2000 and Proposition 13 the Safe Drinking Water, Clean Water, Watershed
          Protection, and Flood Protection bond Act. Both propositions are designed to
          protect land around lakes, rivers, streams and the coast to improve water
          quality and ensure clean drinking water; to protect forests and plant trees
          to improve air quality; to reserve open space and farmland threatened by
          unplanned development; to protect wildlife habitats; and to improve the
          safety of state and neighborhood parks.

          The San Gabriel River and San Gabriel Mountains are important natural
          resources for the City of Azusa, Los Angeles County, and the entire Southern
          California region. As development continues to eat away at valuable open
          space, our canyon areas and urban rivers will increase in importance.
        • TheJLamb@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            Yes, but please give credit to FRIENDS OF THE SAN GABRIEL RIVER
            www.sangabrielriver.org
            Thank you -

            In a message dated 12/2/01 7:51:59 AM Pacific Standard Time, rickrise@... writes:
            Hello--

            Did you write the following?  Can we use it as a news item in New
            Colonist?

            Thanks,

            Richard

            TheJLamb@... wrote:

> [...]
            > Neighborhood Parks, Clean Water, Clean Air, and Coastal Protection Bon Act of
            > 2000 and Proposition 13 the Safe Drinking Water, Clean Water, Watershed
            > Protection, and Flood Protection bond Act.  Both propositions are designed to
            > protect land around lakes, rivers, streams and the coast to improve water
            > quality and ensure clean drinking water; to protect forests and plant trees
            > to improve air quality; to reserve open space and farmland threatened by
            > unplanned development; to protect wildlife habitats; and to improve the
            > safety of state and neighborhood parks.
            >
            >     The San Gabriel River and San Gabriel Mountains are important natural
            > resources for the City of Azusa, Los Angeles County, and the entire Southern
            > California region.  As development continues to eat away at valuable open
            > space, our canyon areas and urban rivers will increase in importance.

            Richard Risemberg
            http://www.living-room.org
            http://www.newcolonist.com