Rose Parade

  • DePoto, Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      Rose Parade

      The float was beautiful--I saw the parade in person--and my congratulations to all the float volunteers as well as to parade staff and participants in bringing off a spectacular and well organized event.

      But it's a good thing rain is forbidden in Pasadena on Jan. 1, because the amount of trash and horse droppings left behind is amazing.  I hate to be a party pooper (no pun intended), but why doesn't the Tournament of Roses Association have to have a stormwater permit?  I have to notice that almost the entire pre-parade staging area and the entire Rose Bowl game itself are in the fragile Arroyo Seco Watershed, an area that the city and preservationists are trying to save for multiple beneficial uses.  Are any of these plans addressing this annual event for nonpoint source pollution impacts?  When the trash and bacteria TMDLs hit, someone in Pasadena is going to have a lot of work to do.

      Bill DePoto, P.E.
      L.A. County Public Works
      Watershed Management Div.
      NOTE NEW NUMBER: 626.458.4313