May 15 traditional all day singing

  • dadadharma @dslextreme.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2010
      O Adventuresome Singers,

      A completely different musical animal.

      It's not about sweet harmonies.

      Rather, imaging singing in the shower, but with clothes on, in a room full
      of 70 other singers, as loud as you feel.

      The Los Angeles area Sacred Harp singers will hold their annual all-day
      singing in San Pedro, in the Angels Gate Park, on Saturday, May 15.

      Details are here:
      <http://homepage.smc.edu/russell_richard/fasola/2010%20regional.htm>

      The event is free.
      There's no requirement to stay all day.
      We take 10-minute breaks every 50 minutes.
      The best singing is the first hour after lunch.
      Everybody has a "musical human right" to call a song.

      Words are traditional but singers themselves represent a cross-section of
      Los Angeles and we avoid talking about the words because we're there to sing
      oh are we ever.

      Most of you probably don't need any training but anyone who wants to have a
      lesson first, this Saturday (May 8) there is a Learner's Group in Santa
      Monica.

      <
      http://homepage.smc.edu/russell_richard/fasola/Learners%20Group%20Details.htm

      Or you can drop in at one of my Thursday night singings in Culver City for a
      crash course.

      <http://www.hosorembo.com/>

      Loaner books will be available.
      $20 if you want to take one home.

      Sing for your supper & you'll get potluck,
      basses are not dumb,
      they never grovel under the thumb
      of tenors, it is said,
      so sing compositions by William Billings
      (bass with a tobacco-damaged voice)
      & you'll be fed-
      up with nonpolyphonic music,

      David Olson