Come Join the L.A. Threshold Choir

  • uclenore@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2008
      I recently did my first bedside visit with this women's choir for an in-home hospice patient and it was a very profound and moving experience. It is very rewarding work and I feel honored to be able to do it with this wonderful group of women. We currently have 7 members and are looking to expand to 20 or so members. The Saturday rehearsals are from 1-3:30pm near the intersection of Beverly Glen and Mulholland (south of Sherman Oaks) and the mid-week (Wednesday or Thursday) rehearsals are in Venice (two rehearsals a month). You can read about the national Threshold Choir organization at www.thresholdchoir.org . They have wonderful retreats also where women from choirs from all over the country gather to sing together and share and learn. Following is our recruitment flyer.

      Sincerely,

      Lenore

      Come Join The Los Angeles Threshold Choir

      Founded by Kate Munger in San Francisco in March of 2000, the all women's voices a capella Threshold Choir honors the ancient tradition of singing for those who are struggling, some with living, others with dying.

      The recipients, as well as the venues we sing in vary, from hospice patients in nursing or private homes to social rooms and lobbies at mental health facilities, nursing homes and hospitals. Most of our opportunities to sing at a bedside will arise through personal contacts either with family members, programs or facilities.

      Our soothing repertoire is carefully selected to respond to individual musical tastes, spiritual leanings and physical capacity. Our voices weave together in harmonious soft chants, rounds, lullabies, hymns and spirituals, or other classical choral musical selections.

      Not all the women in our group are professional singers, so while it does help to be able to read music, not all of us can. If you can carry a tune and would enjoy serving the community by singing, give us a call.

      Rehearsals are twice monthly, on a Saturday afternoon in the middle of the month and on either a Wednesday or Thursday evening early in the month. Rehearsals last 2 ½ hours. There is a small fee for the song book and CDs.

      If interested, please email aroy@... .