Scared Harp Singing, a great experience.

  • goodlyplayer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2008
      This was my first exposure ever to this type of worshipful sing I
      found it to be a very warm, friendly and comfortable environment to
      sit in and participate in. I highly recommend it to anyone of those
      whom love singing and the people who love to sing it.

      I arrived a little late, to this two-day event, but it was a very
      enjoyable experience nonetheless. I wasn't there long because of time
      constrictions; I would have stayed longer if it were not for that. So
      if anyone in attendance noticed a newcomer running out the door an
      hour or so after he arrived, it wasn't because I didn't like the
      music. That being said.

      The sight-reading of shape singing music is a little odd at first to
      follow along with but it is pretty straightforward once you get the
      hang of it.

      There were many dedicated (acappella) shape singers there in
      attendance and what they may have lacked in numbers was more than
      made up for in participation and enthusiasm.

      On second thought, that last statement may be a little misleading as
      there were as many as 50 - 65 people there when I arrived at about
      6:30 pm Saturday evening. At lest 40-45 or so stayed after the social
      hour to continue the eclectic sing, and I presume, because of their
      participation, they may have stayed until the very end. So yes, there
      may be a quit sizable Scared Harp Community of singers out there to
      enjoy and support.

      Now mind you this event had started sometime that morning and was to
      continue on till around 9: pm? In other words this was and is an
      event that participants planned on attending and staying there a good
      long while. You know like that phrase "yall set awhile, take yer
      shoes off, yall come back now hear?" Just that down home feeling
      that I got and please don't misconscew my meaning. Pl-ease!!

      There will be a second event to follow on Sunday but this posting
      will be too late for you to attend. So I hope you were already aware
      of this scheduled event.

      I believe there is one planned by this group for this coming march,
      so mark it down on your calendars for next time. And remember,
      acappella singing in any form is a parisaptory sport.

      By the way, I'm planning on getting on down to Redondo Beach next
      Sunday January 27th. To support and enjoy an acappella event similar
      to Java Joes in Yorba Linda last Sunday ( Javapella ) which I
      unfortunaltly mist. in case I'm constrained again and can't make it,
      somebody please post your impressions of the event so I can have some
      thing to read here when I next check the postings.
      till then your friend, Goodlyplayer out
    • yewzerble
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2008
        > there were as many as 50 - 65 people there when
        > I arrived at about 6:30 pm Saturday evening.

        Manny, you missed the main event which ended at 4:30 each
        day, and which was attended by 120 singers on Saturday and
        100 singers on Sunday.

        A total of 207 songs was sung during the day-time singings, with
        84 people chosing to lead songs.

        There were a large number of singers from Chicago (10+). Also
        from Rhode Island, Virginia, Georgia, the Rocky Mountain states,
        Oregon, and Washington.

        On the porch the level ranged between 80 to 84 decibels.

        At the threshold of the singing room it ranged between 90 to 96
        decibels.

        At the third row of the tenors, next to the basses, it got up to 99
        decibels.

        At the second row of the trebles, at times it got as high as 101
        decibels.

        (These readings were taken by myself on Sunday with a $40
        RadioShack sound level meter.)

        > The sight-reading of shape singing music is a
        > little odd at first to follow along with but it is pretty
        > straightforward once you get thehang of it.

        Because each song is first sung "on the shapes"

        fa-so-la fa-so-la mi fa

        not as preparation or rehearsal, but as part of the art,
        this makes it possible to say:

        -- "It's not about the words, it's about the music."

        (Manny, you and I are in a minority of perhaps 5% in being
        conservative Christians who actually believe in the message
        embodied in the words.)

        Our next large singing will be May 17 (Saturday).
        Location to be announced.

        There won't be as many singers (we expect 70), but more
        opportunites to lead songs.

        David