Come Hear "Methuselah Ate TLBB-Acapella

  • Rob K
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22 12:05 PM
      It can be heard at:

      It can be SEEN and heard at:

      http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/show_score.pl?scoreid=102416

      and it can be bought from sibeliusmusic.com for $1 per
      copy or from me for $0.75 (I will email you a pdf-
      this works really good).

      Its called "Methuselah Ate!"

      Methuselah ate what he found on his plate and never,
      as people as as as do now,
      Did he note the amount of the calorie count. He ate it
      because it was chow!

      He wasn't disturbed, nor perplexed, nor perturbed
      while devouring a roast or a pie,
      Thinking fiber was short, in the right kind and sort,
      or the vitamin count might be shy!

      He cheerfully chewed ev'ry species of food, unmindful
      of troubles or fears,
      That his health would be hurt by some fancy dessert!
      And he lived over nine hundred years!

      Adapted from "And He Ate Meat" Anonymous jingle, circa
      1900 Public Domain

      The Story (and its a good one)

      I read this poem years ago in a joke book. At that
      time, I did not know that it had such a rich history,
      including a connection to Frank Kellogg, the founder
      of Kellogg Corn Flakes etc.
      The jingle was written by an anonymous employee of the
      meat industry, hearkening back to the Upton Sinclair
      era, and the meat packing scandal. It was their way
      of saying that it was safe to eat meat! In today's
      context, it pokes fun at any excessive emphasis on
      nutrition to the exclusion of eating for enjoyment!

      And Kellogg? He, a strict vegetarian, wrote a
      counter-jingle.

      "Methuselah's Meat"

      What Methuselah ate
      Was not on a plate,
      For plates were not yet invented.
      Being discreet,
      He ate Paradise meat, (ie. fruit)
      And thus old age prevented.
      For Paradise meat
      Was delicious to eat,
      And kept him in finest condition.
      And 'twas hung on trees,
      And not made to please
      The deadly Live Stock Commission

      I would be honored if you would give it a look and a
      listen- and more "honored" if you actually bought it!
      ;-)

      Rob K

      Need Mail bonding?