Harmony sweeps

  • Kenny
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
      I was there. I would be interested to know if anyone else from
      this list was there?
      Only five competitors?
      A far cry from what we are used to in
      the south bay. The audience was a no show as well, I think the rain
      may have had alot to do with that.

      Deadly Sins were a no show.

      The winnersç of the LA Harmony Sweepstakes are
      Sixth Wave
      The runners up are
      Venus Envy
    • TPGTenor@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
        In a message dated 02/26/2001 10:33:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        kindser@... writes:

        I was there. I would be interested to know if anyone else from
        this list was there?
        Only five competitors?
        A far cry from what we are used to in
        the south bay. The audience was a no show as well, I think the rain
        may have had alot to do with that.

        Deadly Sins were a no show.

        The winnersç of the LA Harmony Sweepstakes are
        Sixth Wave
        The runners up are
        Venus Envy

        Didn't make it to the show this year.  We had a gig out in Palm Springs, but
        we won the L.A. Regional last year.
        Wow!  Only 5 groups, eh?
        I remember competing about 8 years ago with my vocal jazz group and there
        were only 6 groups that night.  I thought that was pretty thin.
        I don't think a lot of people actually KNEW about the competition but I'm
        sure the rain put a damper on a lot of peoples' evening as well.
        Perhaps sending some info regarding The Harmony Sweeps to some of the music
        departments at colleges around L.A. and Orange Counties would help boost the
        turnout and/or increase the competitor list.  ???

        Nevertheless...it's still a GREAT night of fun and cool singing!

        Mike Economou
        The Perfect Gentlemen
      • AmySingsLA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
          In a message dated 02/26/2001 11:08:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          TPGTenor@... writes:

          > I don't think a lot of people actually KNEW about the competition but I'm
          > sure the rain put a damper on a lot of peoples' evening as well.
          > Perhaps sending some info regarding The Harmony Sweeps to some of the
          music
          > departments at colleges around L.A. and Orange Counties would help boost
          the
          > turnout and/or increase the competitor list. ???

          Well, I did send out 3 or 4 emails about it to the Southern California CASA
          list (which has over 250 members). I know that South Bay SPEBSQSA (who
          sponsors the regional) also sent out a large mailing.

          Sending the information to colleges is a good idea, although most collegiate
          a cappella groups are already on the CASA email list. Also, most collegiate
          groups are too large to compete (each group needs to have no more than 7
          members). The collegiate a cappella competition (ICCA) was held earlier this
          month, so perhaps the local college groups decided to compete there rather
          than at the Sweeps.

          Anyway, Sixth Wave is proud to represent LA at the finals! We pledge to do
          our best... :-)

          Amy Fogerson
          Sixth Wave
          So Cal CASA Ambassador
        • Eric Mueller

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 26, 2001
              This is Mary Beth Treen. I'm the North American agent for The Swingle
              Singers. I've not used this yahoogroups before, and I don't know how to
              anyway. But thought I'd let you know the Swingle Singers will be in CA March
              3 at Citrus College, Glendora, March 8, at Pepperdine University, Malibu,
              March 9 at East County Perf. Arts Center, El Cajon, and at Luther Burbank
              Center, Santa Rosa, on March l0. Hope you can make it to at least one of
              them!