Emergency Email Network

  • Allen Corben - Registrar's Office
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2001
      Hello all, 9/25/01

      Two weeks ago, I was sitting at my computer when I
      received the following email:

      Two planes have crashed into the twin Towers of the
      World Trade Center. AP reports that the incident to
      be an act of terrorism. United States Financial
      Markets openings have been delayed and some some
      markets closed to the day.
      More information as it becomes avaliable.
      THE EMERGENCY EMAIL NETWORK, INC.
      http://www.emergencye.com/

      The Emergency Email Network is a free public service
      providing information from local, regional and national
      government sources. I had signed up with this email system
      some time ago. In order to get information out as fast as
      possible, as widely as possible, and while phone circuts
      might be busy, this network sends out alerts according to
      your preferences. Since you can choose any number of states,
      and many levels of detail, you can easily get too much
      information. I reduced the number of alerts I was receiving
      (I quickly eliminated wind advisories, flood watch, etc.) so
      that the messages I received were what I considered important.

      If you sit at your computer a lot, consider signing up for
      this. You can get advisories delivered to you nearly as
      events happen. According to the EEMN site, they are
      promoting this by donating a quarter to the Red Cross for
      each new sign-up (up to $10,000). That fact makes this email
      an advertisement, which I hate. I hope that the service
      provided will be of enough value that you will forgive me
      sending an email ad. I've been on the net for nearly ten
      years, and I think this is the first time I've ever sent a
      "wide distribution" email. I won't be doing this again
      anytime soon. Apologies if you get more than one copy of this.

      http://208.184.24.125/
      http://www.emergencye.com/

      --
      Allen Corben

      I have no financial interest in the EEMN, and these are my
      own opinions, not those of Fuller Seminary.