Re: [kumi2] Kiku Kara II on a disk

  • Elliott C. Evans
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 4:34 AM
      Su Read wrote:
      > After Elliott posted about kyo kara gumi a couple of weeks back,
      > I decided to have a go at kiku kara II (From Comprehensive
      > Treatise I) on a disk.
      >
      > I think my first mistake was not doing it on a marudai first to
      > get a feel for the braid - the tension isn't working right at
      > the moment, and I have nothing to compare it to.

      The tension in this braid is tricky, even on a marudai.

      When strands are crossing back and forth through the center you
      need to slide the strands toward the center of the braid, and for
      the outer threads this can need quite a bit of tugging.

      The main advice is to pay a lot of attention to which moves are
      making which stitches in the braid, figure out which stitches are
      too loose, and tighten during those steps.

      But don't over tighten, especially during the outer stitches, or
      the braid will pucker! It's a tough balance. I usually wind up
      over tightening slightly, then working the pucker back and forth
      at the end of each run through the pattern until it mostly
      flattens.

      --
      Elliott C. Evans
      http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/