Re: [kumi2] Re: Question

  • Kathie Leonardow
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 1, 2011
      very cool for the ear plugs... Kathie

      On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:15 PM, destinationvenus1 <
      destinationvenus1@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I recently made a pair of flat braids on my plate to be the strap and
      > closure for a felted purse. I also did a round braid around the cord for my
      > ipod earphones to keep them from tangling.
      >
      > Carolyn
      >
      > --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, yo5011@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I am very new to Kumihimo, only a few months. I love the braiding, but,
      > > for all that have been doing this for years I wondered how you use the
      > > finished braids if not for jewelry?
      > > Linda M

    • Kathy Warner
      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 28, 2014
        It sounds like the first loose half was done before you took the weight off, is that right? Do you have your threads weighted also, or are they on EZ-Bobs or the like?

        Braiding on a disk, with your threads unweighted, you don't need a counterweight in the middle at all. With beads and a disk, you want the point of braiding to be right up high so you can tuck the beads under the cross thread to hold them snugly.

        If you're braiding on a marudai with weighted threads, your counterweight should be about half the combined weight of the bobbins/tama, maybe a little less so you can get the point of braiding up where you can easily get the beads in.

        Good luck and happy braiding,

        Kathy Warner