Re: Marudai height

  • Susan Caraccio
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2011
      My marudai rests on a box I found one day, it is a brown velvet covered
      box with sections inside which stores my accessories (including spare
      tama) so it has a double purpose. I too suffer from neck problems (had
      a slipped disc between second and third vertabreae but it is now okay,
      had some chiropractic work done which was worth it!) and this box brings
      the marudai to the right height. I will get a picture of the inside of
      the box and the box itself on the site soon.

      I had a delivery of lots of different wire yesterday and am going to do
      one of the patterns in Giovanna's book, think I know which one to start
      with. I will post pics of my progress.

      Susan in south-west London UK
    • Connie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2011
        Thanks, Janis for the great tips. You are so correct, It is important to remind ourselves to take occasional breaks, shrug our shoulders and loosen up the muscles.
        connie in now sunny Northern Calif.

        --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Berlinbraids@... wrote:

        > Thinking about Ritta's sore neck and shoulders, like for so many things in
        > Life there is no Right Way for everybody.
        >
        > But try this. Tuck your elbows in at waist level and stick your hands
        > straight out horizontally. The top of the marudai should be at the level of your
        > fingertips. How you get it there is up to you.
        > I often work standing up with the marudai on a coffee table, on top of
        > enough fat books to raise it to fingertip height. I find that I move around
        > slightly as I braid and can work longer without breaks.
        > If I sit on my chair by the fire (think cold winter evenings in drafty
        > English house!) I sit the marudai on 14 National Geographics for the perfect
        > height.
        >
        > Some people prefer longer legs, but I like the flexibility of the shorter
        > ones so that I can work anywhere - outside in the summer, at workshops, etc.
        >
        > Very Important - Take Regular Breaks! In classes with Makiko and Rodrick
        > there are frequent reminders for shoulder and head rolling and shrugging.
        > Such exercises work well when working at the computer too, of course.
        > Good luck with your return to braiding.
        > Shirley</HTML>

      • Janis
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2011
          Hi Connie,

          That good advice came from Shirley Berlin. :-)

          Janis

          On 5/1/2011 9:22 AM, Connie wrote:

          > Thanks, Janis for the great tips. You are so correct, It is important
          > to remind ourselves to take occasional breaks, shrug our shoulders and
          > loosen up the muscles.
          > connie in now sunny Northern Calif.
          >
          > --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:kumi2%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Berlinbraids@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Thinking about Ritta's sore neck and shoulders, like for so many
          > things in
          > > Life there is no Right Way for everybody.
          > >
          > > But try this. Tuck your elbows in at waist level and stick your hands
          > > straight out horizontally. The top of the marudai should be at the
          > level of your
          > > fingertips. How you get it there is up to you.
          > > I often work standing up with the marudai on a coffee table, on top of
          > > enough fat books to raise it to fingertip height. I find that I move
          > around
          > > slightly as I braid and can work longer without breaks.
          > > If I sit on my chair by the fire (think cold winter evenings in drafty
          > > English house!) I sit the marudai on 14 National Geographics for the
          > perfect
          > > height.
          > >
          > > Some people prefer longer legs, but I like the flexibility of the
          > shorter
          > > ones so that I can work anywhere - outside in the summer, at
          > workshops, etc.
          > >
          > > Very Important - Take Regular Breaks! In classes with Makiko and
          > Rodrick
          > > there are frequent reminders for shoulder and head rolling and
          > shrugging.
          > > Such exercises work well when working at the computer too, of course.
          > > Good luck with your return to braiding.
          > > Shirley</HTML>

        • Sara
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2011
            It might also help to wear an elastic back support brace while you are working at the marudai.