Re: [kumi2]New Book

  • Berlinbraids@cs.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
      Yes, the book will be available from Carol in the USA and from me in Holland, England and Canada. AND from Janis at Braidershand. It's called Sixty Sensational Samples: a Kumihimo Collection. It is based on 10 years of sample exchanges, with contributions from 42 generous braiders from 6 countries. Tales of success and failure and frustration, written with humour and bags of personality.

      Cost will be $30 plus $10 postage and packing in the US. We still have to work out the other prices. We collected the book on Friday, leaving for Denver, a 20 hour drive from Seattle, on Saturday.  So we are like proud new parents - excited but a little sleepy.

      Convergence is amazing. I'm just leaving for a lecture at 8 a.m. by Arline Fisch, one of our Living National Treasures.
      Shirley
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
        I tried out my first flat braid on the flat braiding plate using embroidery floss.  I'm having a real problem with tension.  I'm getting some real kinks in the braid and not all of the accent colors are visible.  It seems to work quite differently from the kumihimo card where the braid happens right in the middle.

        Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

        Thanks
        Julie
      • Makiko Tada
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
          Dear Julie,

          Thank you for using Kumihimo plate.
          If some threads are too loose, please pull the threads.
          Do you using a center weight?

          Makiko
          --
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2004
            My problem seems to be too tight rather than too loose.
            I didn't start with a center weight but I later added one and it seems better.
            Thank you
            Julie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
              Hi Julie,

              Yes, adding a center weight helps pull it down more so it gets looser.
              On that subject, I've finally found a use for the obscure tool that
              seems to be on all Swiss pocket knives: the hook like thing, I've no
              idea what it is meant to do, but it works great as a center weight for
              the Hamanaka disc, and scissors are at hand as well!! See picture

              Rachel
              Holland

              On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 01:40, Julie wrote:
              > My problem seems to be too tight rather than too loose.
              > I didn't start with a center weight but I later added one and it seems
              > better.
              > Thank you
              > Julie
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                <laughs> So that's what it's for!  My husband loves the Swiss Army knives and has many.  He says that hook is for carrying things, like a bucket handle, so it doesn't cut into your hand.
                Julie
                Yes, adding a center weight helps pull it down more so it gets looser.
                On that subject, I've finally found a use for the obscure tool that
                seems to be on all Swiss pocket knives: the hook like thing, I've no
                idea what it is meant to do, but it works great as a center weight for
                the Hamanaka disc, and scissors are at hand as well!! See picture

                Rachel
                Holland

                On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 01:40, Julie wrote:
                > My problem seems to be too tight rather than too loose.
                > I didn't start with a center weight but I later added one and it seems
                > better.
                > Thank you
                > Julie

              • douglas sanders
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                  mmmm. I thought it was for tightening laces or leather cords or something :)
                  Maybe the Swiss army finds bucket carrying indispensible to territorial defense?

                  -Doug
                  --- Julie <jtknits@...> wrote:
                  > <laughs> So that's what it's for! My husband loves the Swiss Army knives
                  > and has many. He says that hook is for carrying things, like a bucket
                  > handle, so it doesn't cut into your hand.
                  > Julie

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rachel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                    The only explanation I've ever heard was for picking up and carrying
                    parcels by the string, i.e. for postal workers !?!?
                    But I much prefer my own idea, although I doubt the Swiss army will be
                    interested.

                    Rachel

                    --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, douglas sanders <dhs1us@y...> wrote:
                    > mmmm. I thought it was for tightening laces or leather cords or
                    something :)
                    > Maybe the Swiss army finds bucket carrying indispensible to
                    territorial defense?

                    > -Doug
                    > --- Julie <jtknits@c...> wrote:
                    > > <laughs> So that's what it's for! My husband loves the Swiss Army
                    knives
                    > > and has many. He says that hook is for carrying things, like a bucket
                    > > handle, so it doesn't cut into your hand.
                    > > Julie
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2004
                      makes as much sense as a kumihimo weight.  Some of us have used coffe can lids, fishing weights and knitting bobbins.  You never know what a resourceful fiber artist will commandeer for his/her own nefarious purposes <G>.
                      Julie

                      http://mail.yahoo.com