New Member

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 94 , Apr 4, 2011
      My name is Trisha and I have just been reintroduced to kumihimo through a woman at our weavers guild, who demonstrated it for us 2 days ago using a mailing tube with a hole and a CD duct-taped to the top. I am inspired! She will be teaching us some braids next month and I cannot wait. I am using a marudai that I assembled using a 12" piece of tube from the fabric store (1/4" thick cardboard, 2" across) with a hole cut out on the side about 6" long and 2" wide. At the top is a CD, glued to the tube. I can hold this marudai between my knees and braid comfortably in my chair. It works very well, but must admit that my friend's mailing tube was better for standing it up between sessions. Perhaps another CD glued to the base... Tama are medicine bottles with pennies to weight them.

      Someday I will have a real marudai, but until then I will have fun with what I have. I look forward to learning more braids and sharing with the group.
    • Elliott C. Evans
      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 9, 2013
        slboyd10 wrote:
        > That sounds wonderful Elliott!! Maybe I'll get the chance to go to
        > something like this sometime...

        I hope so! even just the opportunity to sit in a room of other
        braiders, braiding and talking about braiding, is great. Add in
        a good teacher who will push you in new directions and answer
        the difficult questions and the experience is the best.

        John Whitley wrote:
        >> These braids will be absolutely no help to my medieval Japanese
        >> persona in the SCA, but I personally can't wait to get to work on
        >> them.
        >
        > Until, of course, you start applying core exchange techniques to
        > traditional Japanese braid patterns...

        I already did a little of that about three years ago, using what
        wheat calls "sky hooks" below to suspend a rod above my marudai.

        http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/images/braid82.jpg

        Most of that is just 8-strand 'edo yatsu'. You can see how loose the
        joints are when I did full switches because I didn't have a good
        method for keeping the tension. The gradual switch is much smoother.

        I should try this again, but all my life is on to-do lists now, and
        I even have a "Braids" list that keeps getting longer.

        Wheat wrote:
        > I am so looking forward to this book. I have had what Henry calls
        > my "Sky Hooks" over my braiding area since the 90's because I put a
        > core in pretty much every braid.

        I've seen paintings that indicate the use of sky hooks may pre-date
        the hole in the center of the marudai. The stand that Rodrick has
        designed adds portability, of course, and a good method for keeping
        track of which strand is which. The suspension hooks can also be
        rotated to create a color change in the core threads that way.

        I had come to class with a stand I made on my own, based on the
        rather small picture on the Braidershand web site. I needed to add
        a few hooks and move my hooks around before I could start working.
        If anyone is planning on building their own stand, I recommend
        waiting for the book to come out so you can study that design first.
        It's more intricate than it may appear.

        Other things the stand adds are a good place to tape up the pattern
        and a place to attach a camera, though I don't know if the book will
        mention those.

        >> These braids will be absolutely no help to my medieval Japanese
        >> persona in the SCA, but I personally can't wait to get to work on
        >> them.
        > Not necessarily, there is so little that is new in the world and
        > much that is simply rediscovered - it would not be surprising to
        > find that something similar has been done.

        True, true. I still have a lot of research to do on historical
        braids to justify some of the standard patterns before I get into
        researching the more complex braids, though.

        > With both in the area, can't help but wonder if Rod & Makiko will
        > be turning up at MD S&W

        It's possible, I suppose. Rodrick didn't say anything about it.

        --
        Elliott C. Evans
        http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/