NEWBIE

  • elvaiah
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      HI and so happy to be accepted into this kumi group.
      I only discovered Kumihimo a few weeks ago. I am newly retired and exploring the craft areas that I have so long wanted to indulge.
      I started crocheting bead tubes about a 1 1/2 months ago and while checking locally for supplies saw a kumihimo disk but didn't know what it was. TG for the internet! I am also taking a course in hand building ceramics and polymer clay. I found a site where I could download a template for the kumihimo disk and my husband volunteered to cut, paste, & shape. I made my first braid then and have since made many others. I have also made a marudai mirror & eight tama too - out of clay and hopefully it will all be fired in the next week or so. My husband doesn't know it yet but he shall make me a wooden marudai in due time. I was looking for an alternate to stringing handmade beads. Kumihimo seems to be the multifunctional application that I was looking for. I can't wait to start with the beading but have downshifted to 1st gear so I don't overkill. Can you tell.... I am hooked!
      Again thanks for this opp.
      Best regards, Lynn
    • Ruth Temple
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
        Dear Hearts,

        Hello! I'm another new braider, having taken a workshop with Rod Owen
        up in the Watsonville hills this past autumn on borrowed equipment -
        a marudai of my own arrived this Yule, and I'm merrily going to town.
        I'm still on cobbled-together bobbins, though -- copper-cash (Chinese
        coins with a hole in the middle) dangle as weights to my plastic
        bobbins, which make a pleasing noise, but I'm not sure I like how the
        foldover of the plastic bobbin works against the thread.

        I have found splendid compatriots not too far away, in the braiding
        study group of the Santa Cruz area guild, and look forward to meeting
        up with them towards the end of the month. I think I'll have
        something for show and tell...

        I look forward to sharing ideas and encouragement - and braid-
        swapping! - with all of you.

        Ruth Temple
        Redwood City, CA

        On the marudai: Braid 51 from 250 Braids, in rust and grey rayon with
        a nice sheen. It's an 11-thread (4 of color 1, 7 of color 2) that
        makes a triangular cross-section. Realizing, hey...a person could do
        a five-fold version of this...