Re: hi group!

  • Beverly Carlson
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "meltzglass" <swurlgurl@...> wrote:

      Hi, I have several left handed friends who do bead Kumihimo, so that is not it. Bury the bead just means to slide the bead down the cord and slip it under the adjacent cord so that it is secured (buried?) When you turn and bring down the next bead the "buried" one will not surface but stay put. Words are hard to use sometimes. If this doesn't help, let me know and I'll try again.
      Bev

      > hi! my name is angela. I make all sorts of jewelry and lampwork beads. i have done some form of art since i can remember lol. i like to think of my jewelry designs as wearable art and kumihimo helps in that endeavor by giving such a huge variety of materials to use! i love it!!! im in the process of trying to figure out how to bead using kumihimo disk. ick...i paid for a tutorial and its a lovely one but i have no idea how to quote "bury the bead" i dont know if its bc i am left handed or just senile...lol hopefully i will figure out how to do it before i pull my hair out of my head.
      > im a proud mom of 8 great kids. i live in washington state. grew up in the midwest. moved here from florida. lol no i am not a gypsy!
      > neways, nice "meeting" everyone!
      > Angela
      > http://www.swurlgurlbeads.com

    • Yamilet Leon
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Angela:
        Welcome! I started in the group few weeks ago and I see people here are very talented. What I do with the kumi is jewerly with beads. I like to learn the other things I see in this group. If you have any question with that, I'm more than happy to help you or talk about my ideas.
         Yamilet Leon

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi ,Do you use wire with your beads? & if you do what g do you use?
          I have trouble getting my beads close enough.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
            What I use to do kumi with beads is de c-lon thread. I use the closets color of the beads I'm using in the proyect.
             Yamilet Leon

            ________________________________
            Hi ,Do you use wire with your beads? & if you do what g do you use?
            I have trouble getting my beads close enough.

            I do with the kumi is jewerly with beads.

          • ermaadkins
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
              I'll have to try that.

              Yamilet Leon wrote:

              > What I use to do kumi with beads is de c-lon thread. I use the closets
              > color of the beads I'm using in the proyect.
              > Yamilet Leon
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Chryse
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                I've used silk thread and teflon thread as well with 11/0 or 15/0 seed
                beads. I learned on the c-lon as well. Beaded kumihimo is lovely.

                aileen

                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Mmmmmm... I never try kumi with 11/0 or 15/0, how interesting...
                   Yamilet Leon

                  ________________________________

                  On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM, ermaadkins <ermaadkins@comcast. net> wrote:

                  > I'll have to try that.
                  >
                  > Yamilet Leon wrote:
                  > >

                  > > What I use to do kumi with beads is de c-lon thread. I use the closets
                  > > color of the beads I'm using in the proyect.
                  > > Yamilet Leon
                  > >
                  > > ____________ _________ _________ __
                  > > From: ermaad06 <ermaadkins@comcast. net <ermaadkins% 40comcast. net><mailto:
                  > ermaadkins%40comcas t.net <ermaadkins% 2540comcast. net>>>

                • chryse74
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                    --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "meltzglass" <swurlgurl@...> wrote:

                    > hi! my name is angela. I make all sorts of jewelry and lampwork beads. i have done some form of art since i can remember lol. i like to think of my jewelry designs as wearable art and kumihimo helps in that endeavor by giving such a huge variety of materials to use! i love it!!! im in the process of trying to figure out how to bead using kumihimo disk. ick...i paid for a tutorial and its a lovely one but i have no idea how to quote "bury the bead" i dont know if its bc i am left handed or just senile...lol hopefully i will figure out how to do it before i pull my hair out of my head.
                    > im a proud mom of 8 great kids. i live in washington state. grew up in the midwest. moved here from florida. lol no i am not a gypsy!
                    > neways, nice "meeting" everyone!
                    > Angela
                    > http://www.swurlgurlbeads.com

                    I was searching in the archives for "beaded kumihimo" as the subject comes up from time to time. Found the Youtube video link showing what to do. One of the members here, Bob, had created it and posted the link. Perhaps this will help you.

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TGzJEgHYlc

                    aileen
                  • chryse74
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                      Try with different sized beads in the same piece as well, it's an interesting textured look. The small seed beads make for a very delicate piece of jewelry.

                      :)
                      aileen

                      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Yamilet Leon <yamilet_leon@...> wrote:

                      > Mmmmmm... I never try kumi with 11/0 or 15/0, how interesting...
                      > �Yamilet Leon
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Tammy
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Hi

                        Thanks for posting the link for U-Tube again. I watched it but it only has
                        the beads on 2 of the threads, I really would like to have my beads on all
                        of the threads and not have the threads showing. How hard is this to do?
                        I've been trying to figure it out on my own and am not having any success.
                        There aren't any classes at my LBS and it's very hard for me to attend if
                        there were.

                        I have a disk and a mauri dai. I'd prefer to use the Mauri Dai but if the
                        disk is better I'll use it. I'd love to learn how to make the beaded braids
                        for necklaces.

                        Thanks

                        Tammy

                        Help us help the horses

                        visit blue horse

                        http://www.bluehorsemukwa.org/?cat=14

                        HELP THE HORSES DONATE HERE

                        <http://www.firstgiving.com/bluehorsemukwa>

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                          It's the same procedure, regardless of how many threads have beads on them.
                          I typically use an 8 strand braid on the disk (the foam slits help with the
                          tension) with beads on all 8. You don't see any thread at all.

                          I had posted this to the group some time ago about beaded kumihimo

                          Thread should be 3 times the length of the finished product you want to
                          make. Because of the beads, the amount of thread needed it higher. example:
                          16 inch necklace would require 48 inches of thread per bobbin.

                          String on the beads to the threads before starting the braid. You should
                          string on HALF the length of the finished product of beads. example: 16 inch
                          necklace, you want to string on around 8 inches of beads onto each thread.
                          I usually put on an extra inch or two just in case, and have occasionally
                          needed it.

                          I use a foam marudai, it doesn't change the slits at all, because the beads
                          aren't in the slits at any time, just thread.

                          Start the braid, get at least a 1/4 inch of braid done as a base, no beads,
                          it also provides a place to add a finding for later on.

                          Pull a bead down the thread and position it so it's UNDER the thread. You
                          usually have to hold the first few in place, but the tension of the threads
                          will help and after the first few, the beads hold themselves down. You can
                          pop them out later if they fall in with a needle or something, should you
                          see a hole in the completed braid.

                          After about an inch or so, you don't need a weight on the completed end of
                          the beaded braid. You do need some to start with.

                          The longer the braid with beads, the more likely you'll hit a spot where the
                          weight of the completed braid will collapse the working point near the
                          mirror hole. This is a pain. You have to counterweight the threads heavily
                          to prevent this.

                          Finish the braid with another 1/4 inch of braid, no beads, then finish it
                          off normally.

                          Use a cone or bead cap to finish off the ends to hide the tails where there
                          are no beads.

                          Hope that helps.

                          aileen

                          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Tammy <jagfann@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          >
                          > Thanks for posting the link for U-Tube again. I watched it but it only has
                          > the beads on 2 of the threads, I really would like to have my beads on all
                          > of the threads and not have the threads showing. How hard is this to do?
                          > I've been trying to figure it out on my own and am not having any success.
                          > There aren't any classes at my LBS and it's very hard for me to attend if
                          > there were.
                          >
                          > I have a disk and a mauri dai. I'd prefer to use the Mauri Dai but if the
                          > disk is better I'll use it. I'd love to learn how to make the beaded braids
                          > for necklaces.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          >
                          > Tammy

                        • Yamilet Leon
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                            Tammy:
                            What you see with only two threads is the same you do with the 8 threads, just try and you will see how easy is. The hint is to hook the bead under the thread that is crossing the other directions. About showing the thread, that happens to me a little bit, that is the reason you should use a thread with  the closest color as the beads. I'm sending a picture how my work looks.
                             Yamilet Leon

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                              The gallery below has necklaces and bracelets on silk thread with 11/0 seed beads. The names are the ladies I made the jewelry for.

                              <http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/chryse74/Beads/>

                              One the second page there's a picture with 2 bracelets I did on c-lon with size 8 beads for the blue and size 6 and 8 beads (1 thread had the size 6 beads).

                              aileen
                            • Tammy
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                                Thanks so much Ailen

                                <mailto:jagfann%40cox.net> > wrote:

                                > Hi
                                >
                                > Thanks for posting the link for U-Tube again. I watched it but it only has
                                > the beads on 2 of the threads, I really would like to have my beads on all
                                > of the threads and not have the threads showing. How hard is this to do?
                                > I've been trying to figure it out on my own and am not having any success.
                                > There aren't any classes at my LBS and it's very hard for me to attend if
                                > there were.
                                >
                                > I have a disk and a mauri dai. I'd prefer to use the Mauri Dai but if the
                                > disk is better I'll use it. I'd love to learn how to make the beaded
                                braids
                                > for necklaces.
                                >
                                > Thanks
                                >
                                > Tammy

                              • Tammy
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 1, 2009
                                  Thanks everyone for all your help

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                    oooh those are pretty! the necklaces in the Diane section are exactly what i need to get finished with.
                                    i REALLY REALLY dont understand the "bury the bead" thing. i try, but it always pops out. GRRRR >:S
                                    am i supposed to pull the cord with the bead under the adjacent cord or just push the bead down? either way that i have tried has resulted in the bead being free to move and i know its not supposed to be free. lol im at the point of burying the whole project at this time lol. naw i cant. a friend really wants me to make it.
                                    have a great day.
                                    angela
                                  • Janis Saunders
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                      Hi Angela,

                                      Try this, when you pick up a thread to move it, first pull gently to
                                      set the bead from the last round, it should make it stand up firmly
                                      and not sag.

                                      Then move the bead to the point of braiding and put the thread into
                                      the proper slot. Keep the tension just a little tiny bit loose, that
                                      way the bead should stay where you put it and not jump back up the thread.

                                      The next thread should be handled the same way. Keep an eye on the
                                      bead from the thread before to make sure it is in its proper place as
                                      you set this bead and thread.

                                      Let me know how this works for you.

                                      Janis

                                      At 02:34 PM 7/2/2009, you wrote:

                                      >oooh those are pretty! the necklaces in the Diane section are
                                      >exactly what i need to get finished with.
                                      >i REALLY REALLY dont understand the "bury the bead" thing. i try,
                                      >but it always pops out. GRRRR >:S
                                      >am i supposed to pull the cord with the bead under the adjacent cord
                                      >or just push the bead down? either way that i have tried has
                                      >resulted in the bead being free to move and i know its not supposed
                                      >to be free. lol im at the point of burying the whole project at this
                                      >time lol. naw i cant. a friend really wants me to make it.
                                      >have a great day.
                                      >angela
                                      >

                                      >E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
                                      >Database version: 6.12740
                                      ><http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

                                      Database version: 6.12740

                                    • meltzglass
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                        OMCARROTS!! Janis ty ty ty ty ty AND ty!!! i have about 4 inches braided as i type! ty ty ty ty ty ty!!!!!! lol

                                        --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Janis Saunders <weavershand@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Angela,
                                        >
                                        > Try this, when you pick up a thread to move it, first pull gently to
                                        > set the bead from the last round, it should make it stand up firmly
                                        > and not sag.
                                        >
                                        > Then move the bead to the point of braiding and put the thread into
                                        > the proper slot. Keep the tension just a little tiny bit loose, that
                                        > way the bead should stay where you put it and not jump back up the thread.
                                        >
                                        > The next thread should be handled the same way. Keep an eye on the
                                        > bead from the thread before to make sure it is in its proper place as
                                        > you set this bead and thread.
                                        >
                                        > Let me know how this works for you.
                                        >
                                        > Janis
                                        >
                                        > At 02:34 PM 7/2/2009, you wrote:
                                        >

                                        > >oooh those are pretty! the necklaces in the Diane section are
                                        > >exactly what i need to get finished with.
                                        > >i REALLY REALLY dont understand the "bury the bead" thing. i try,
                                        > >but it always pops out. GRRRR >:S
                                        > >am i supposed to pull the cord with the bead under the adjacent cord
                                        > >or just push the bead down? either way that i have tried has
                                        > >resulted in the bead being free to move and i know its not supposed
                                        > >to be free. lol im at the point of burying the whole project at this
                                        > >time lol. naw i cant. a friend really wants me to make it.
                                        > >have a great day.
                                        > >angela
                                        > >

                                        > >E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
                                        > >Database version: 6.12740
                                        > ><http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

                                        > Database version: 6.12740

                                      • Chryse
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                          Thanks Angela, I'm glad you like them.
                                          I'm also glad Janis was able to help you as I don't quite understand what
                                          you mean by "bury the bead" but that's of little concern now that you've got
                                          it!

                                          :)
                                          aileen

                                          On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM, meltzglass <swurlgurl@...> wrote:

                                          > oooh those are pretty! the necklaces in the Diane section are exactly what
                                          > i need to get finished with.
                                          > i REALLY REALLY dont understand the "bury the bead" thing. i try, but it
                                          > always pops out. GRRRR >:S
                                          > am i supposed to pull the cord with the bead under the adjacent cord or
                                          > just push the bead down? either way that i have tried has resulted in the
                                          > bead being free to move and i know its not supposed to be free. lol im at
                                          > the point of burying the whole project at this time lol. naw i cant. a
                                          > friend really wants me to make it.
                                          > have a great day.
                                          > angela

                                        • Janis Saunders
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                            Hi Angela,

                                            Yay!!!!!! That is excellent news!

                                            Chryse, I didn't know what bury the bead meant either so I decided
                                            not to worry about it as I my method works well for me and those I have taught.

                                            Janis

                                            At 04:24 PM 7/2/2009, you wrote:

                                            >OMCARROTS!! Janis ty ty ty ty ty AND ty!!! i have about 4 inches
                                            >braided as i type! ty ty ty ty ty ty!!!!!! lol
                                            >
                                            >--- In <mailto:kumi2%40yahoogroups.com>kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Janis
                                            >Saunders <weavershand@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Angela,
                                            > >
                                            > > Try this, when you pick up a thread to move it, first pull gently to
                                            > > set the bead from the last round, it should make it stand up firmly
                                            > > and not sag.
                                            > >
                                            > > Then move the bead to the point of braiding and put the thread into
                                            > > the proper slot. Keep the tension just a little tiny bit loose, that
                                            > > way the bead should stay where you put it and not jump back up the thread.
                                            > >
                                            > > The next thread should be handled the same way. Keep an eye on the
                                            > > bead from the thread before to make sure it is in its proper place as
                                            > > you set this bead and thread.
                                            > >
                                            > > Let me know how this works for you.
                                            > >
                                            > > Janis
                                            > >
                                            > > At 02:34 PM 7/2/2009, you wrote:
                                            > >

                                            > > >oooh those are pretty! the necklaces in the Diane section are
                                            > > >exactly what i need to get finished with.
                                            > > >i REALLY REALLY dont understand the "bury the bead" thing. i try,
                                            > > >but it always pops out. GRRRR >:S
                                            > > >am i supposed to pull the cord with the bead under the adjacent cord
                                            > > >or just push the bead down? either way that i have tried has
                                            > > >resulted in the bead being free to move and i know its not supposed
                                            > > >to be free. lol im at the point of burying the whole project at this
                                            > > >time lol. naw i cant. a friend really wants me to make it.
                                            > > >have a great day.
                                            > > >angela
                                            > > >

                                            > > >E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
                                            > > >Database version: 6.12740
                                            > > ><<http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.
                                            > pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/
                                            > >

                                            > > E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
                                            > > Database version: 6.12740
                                            > >
                                            > <http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

                                            >E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.1.441)
                                            >Database version: 6.12740
                                            ><http://www.pctools.com/en/spyware-doctor-antivirus/>http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

                                            Database version: 6.12740

                                          • Beth Hilborn
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 2, 2009
                                              I think it is time I posted an intro, especially as I am about to ask for
                                              help.
                                              I am a craft addict - with a small amount of ocd - which means that I tend
                                              to 'need/want' to learn something, learn it to the absolute best of my
                                              ability and then move on. About the only thing I've stuck with is my
                                              leather braiding and fancy knotting - and the quest for braiding knowledge
                                              led me to kumihimo, and ultimately to this list.
                                              A while ago I found a template online - printed it, glued it to half of a
                                              large plastic spool, carefully cut out the notches, and followed a pattern.
                                              I was hooked!
                                              I've made a few sample braids, and now, have decided I want a bigger tablet
                                              to work with.
                                              WHERE in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley can I buy supplies?? I
                                              tried Alpha Craft in Yaohan Center today - they are out of stock and
                                              probably will be for some time.
                                              Suggestions anyone???
                                              ***
                                              Beth Hilborn
                                              http://www.kangaroolead.com
                                              http://www.bethhilborn.ca

                                            • Carol Wang
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 18, 2009
                                                On 2-Jul-09, at 8:08 PM, Beth Hilborn wrote:
                                                > WHERE in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley can I buy
                                                > supplies?? I tried Alpha Craft in Yaohan Center today - they are
                                                > out of stock and probably will be for some time.
                                                > Suggestions anyone???

                                                Sorry for the late response, I go through phases of letting the
                                                mailing list build up and then reading it all in a big lump.

                                                I'm in the Burquitlam area. What supplies are you after? Foam
                                                braiding board? If that's what you're after, I'd call DeSerres on
                                                Broadway and ask them about Alex Friendship Wheel Singles.
                                                Alternately, just about any store with crafts (Walmart, Zellers,
                                                Michaels, etc.) has Toner CraftLace Mega Pack which in addition to a
                                                whole bunch of plastic lace, has a foam braiding wheel.

                                                I'm not completely clear on what you mean when you say "tablet".
                                                I've got a makeshift marudai that you can just have if you like (full
                                                sized stool with a hole drilled in).

                                                --
                                                Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
                                                http://www.chineseknotting.org The Chinese Knotting Home Page
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Aug 19, 2009
                                                  Thanks to all of you who have provided information on beaded kumihimo. My initial request as a new member was information on this topic. I'm greatful for all of the information.
                                                • JeopardyFan
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jan 19 10:48 AM
                                                    I'm a newbie at kumihimo just taking up this beautiful craft two months ago. Beaded kumihimo work I've seen online is just gorgeous and I want to take my skills to the next level.

                                                    I've bought the long eyed beading needles but they bend and get crooked making stringing beads an ordeal. So far I've been using .5 mm cord with 6/0 seed beads.

                                                    I think it's where the thread doubles up that bends the needles. I need suggestions from seasoned group members.
                                                  • DestinationVenus
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 20 4:10 AM
                                                      I do not use needles when stringing on my beads for kumihimo. What I do instead is cut the ends of my cord at a slight angle so the form a natural needle, and stiffen them with a product called Fray Check. It's a liquid designed for sewing/quilting to keep the edges of cut fabric from unravelling as you work. Just dunk the last inch or two in the Fray Check, let it dry--about two minutes--and then you can string on your beads. Fray Check can be found with the sewing notions at Joanne Fabric or similar stores, if you can't find it, white craft glue will work with a longer drying time.

                                                      Carolyn
                                                    • Elliott C. Evans
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jan 20 10:41 AM
                                                        JeopardyFan wrote:
                                                        > I've bought the long eyed beading needles but they bend
                                                        > and get crooked making stringing beads an ordeal. So far
                                                        > I've been using .5 mm cord with 6/0 seed beads.
                                                        >
                                                        > I think it's where the thread doubles up that bends the
                                                        > needles. I need suggestions from seasoned group members.

                                                        It may be the thickness of your cord.

                                                        I mostly work with 11/0 seed beads, and I use 8lb. Fireline,
                                                        which is only 0.18mm in diameter. I haven't had any problem
                                                        with it bending the large eye needles.

                                                        --
                                                        Elliott C. Evans
                                                        http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jan 21 6:48 AM
                                                          Thanks to Penny, Ralph, Carolyn, and Elliot for their great tips for kumihimo beading.  It gives hope to a beginner like me.