New photo album

  • Darin Guthrie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi everyone. I just joined the group a day or two ago and felt I
      might as well share some of my work with you. The album is called
      "Frodi's work".

      I got started doing kumihimo about 4 years ago at an SCA event called
      Potrero War near San Diego. I lost my disk and found it two or three
      times over the next couple years, and finally decided to build myself
      a wooden Marudai. Now, I've got two Marudais: one is 12" tall and the
      other is 24" for easier work while seated. I've just recently acquire
      three books that have greatly increased the number of patterns
      available and I feel like I'm only just now getting up my steam. I
      hope to learn a lot and share a lot with the group.

      Cheers,

      Darin / "Frodi"
    • A.G. Lindsay
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
        I'm almost finished with my Kotoji expansion project. The results
        were mixed, and I have one more idea to try before I photograph the
        braids and post them here. Mostly, the idea of "squaring" a flat braid
        produced a different effect than I had expected. I'm not sure it's a
        product of my inexperience or simply the fact that I might have been
        paying less attention to the tension than I should have.

        *sigh* I am now committed to leaving my apartment (*gasp*) and
        visiting a friend in NYC. Keep your fingers crossed that there's not
        another flood like the last time. I have an entire Friday to myself to
        shop/see sights. Any suggestions? The only definite plans are to
        visit Metalliferous and to hit some fabric stores. I am thinking of
        trying to get to the Japan Society as well. (Saturday, I'm at The Pier
        antiques show where my sister and brother-in-law are dealers.) I'm
        hoping someone on this list who goes to NYC or lives there has more of
        an idea of what to see/what to miss.

        Also, I am getting ready for a benefit show/sale of my jewelry, so
        I've been trying to finish many of my small (thin) projects for
        necklaces. I have an order coming in from one of my suppliers with
        almost every cord/ribbon finishing finding in their catalogue. If
        anyone is interested in the findings ideas I get from my testing, I'll
        try and remember to write it up and post it.

        (The notice of the sale is on my blog: http://piecebypiecejewelry.blogspot.com
        in case you're in the Boston area and have nothing else to do on
        Palm Sunday.)

        --lin

        p.s. to Darin/Frodi: what fiber are you using in your braids? Cotton?
        Silk? (Just curious. Most of mine are cotton, but I've just bought
        some silk from Braidershand that I'm a little reluctant to use in case
        I screw up!)
      • Tricia Nash
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
          More than anything you've given me ideas of places to visit on NYC
          (and I live here)thanks. But you didn't mention Habu Textiles. On W
          29th street I think.

          -- tricia

          On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:24, "A.G. Lindsay" <agl@...> wrote:

          > I'm almost finished with my Kotoji expansion project. The results
          > were mixed, and I have one more idea to try before I photograph the
          > braids and post them here. Mostly, the idea of "squaring" a flat braid
          > produced a different effect than I had expected. I'm not sure it's a
          > product of my inexperience or simply the fact that I might have been
          > paying less attention to the tension than I should have.
          >
          > *sigh* I am now committed to leaving my apartment (*gasp*) and
          > visiting a friend in NYC. Keep your fingers crossed that there's not
          > another flood like the last time. I have an entire Friday to myself to
          > shop/see sights. Any suggestions? The only definite plans are to
          > visit Metalliferous and to hit some fabric stores. I am thinking of
          > trying to get to the Japan Society as well. (Saturday, I'm at The Pier
          > antiques show where my sister and brother-in-law are dealers.) I'm
          > hoping someone on this list who goes to NYC or lives there has more of
          > an idea of what to see/what to miss.
          >
          > Also, I am getting ready for a benefit show/sale of my jewelry, so
          > I've been trying to finish many of my small (thin) projects for
          > necklaces. I have an order coming in from one of my suppliers with
          > almost every cord/ribbon finishing finding in their catalogue. If
          > anyone is interested in the findings ideas I get from my testing, I'll
          > try and remember to write it up and post it.
          >
          > (The notice of the sale is on my blog: http://piecebypiecejewelry.blogspot.com
          > in case you're in the Boston area and have nothing else to do on
          > Palm Sunday.)
          >
          > --lin
          >
          > p.s. to Darin/Frodi: what fiber are you using in your braids? Cotton?
          > Silk? (Just curious. Most of mine are cotton, but I've just bought
          > some silk from Braidershand that I'm a little reluctant to use in case
          > I screw up!)

        • Anne Littlebird
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
            last I heard from my boyfriend this morning NYC had about 9 inches of
            snow. Good luck!

            Anne Littlebird
            Issumatuq Herbals

            A.G. Lindsay wrote:

            > *sigh* I am now committed to leaving my apartment (*gasp*) and
            > visiting a friend in NYC. Keep your fingers crossed that there's not
            > another flood like the last time.

          • Cynce Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
              Habu