Weighty Matters in the Balance

  • A.G. Lindsay
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2008
      First off, I have to brag: Just before Thanksgiving, I received an
      unexpected inheritance (most of which I used to pay off bills), and
      bought myself a lovely marudai from Braider's Hand. (The one with the
      bigger mirror, since they seem to be the only ones online with a 12"
      one.)

      It's lovely, although I am still using my makeshift tama with it.

      The nice thing about the makeshift tama is that I can play with the
      weights of the tama (and have decided I like the heavier, 85/100g
      weights better than the 35/50g weights.) What I would like to know is:
      is there a reason to use a lighter weight tama?

      Also, if you are using a different thread (like more plies on one
      strand than on another) is there any reason why you would use a
      heavier or lighter tama for that strand? Maybe to keep the tama/
      thread unit a similar weight?

      Would you "mix and match" (i.e. use a lighter or heavier tama on a
      lighter thread while using a different weight for a different thread
      within the same braid?) or would that make the braid unbalanced in
      some way?

      I'm also working on fairly long braids, so I'm using an old thread
      spool to wind it up from the bottom so the cats don't take an interest
      in it. I figure the additional weight of this spool and the finished
      braid should not change the ratio of the counterweight to the tama
      weight appreciably, but is my reasoning about this sound? Should I be
      removing weight from the bag as the braid gets longer? Is there any
      reason I SHOULDN'T use this bottom spool?

      I know, esoteric stuff, and of course I'm overthinking again, but I'm
      curious if anyone can answer this for me or point me somewhere I can
      look it up?

      Thanks!

      --lin
      a.g.lindsay

      p.s. pictures of the new marudai are in my blog: http://piecebypiecejewelry.blogspot.com
      , but you probably know what it looks like anyway.
    • giovanna imperia

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2008
          Giovanna,

          Do you use the two sizes of tama in the same project? Perhaps I should
          say, have you ever used the two sizes of tama in the same project? How
          does that effect your work?

          Cynthia

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2008
            Since the weight is the same, mixing the two types of tama does not affect the work in any way. And yes, I have mixed the two particularly when I work on the taka dai.GiovannaTo: kumi2@yahoogroups.comFrom: cyncewilliams@...: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:55:14 -0600Subject: Re: [kumi2] Weighty Matters in the Balance

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
              Thanks, it was as I suspected. All bobbins the same. (I was trying to
              think of a reason why that would NOT be so, and that was all I could
              come up with.)

              I suppose I should have just experimented, but I thought I'd avail
              myself of some of the list's expertise instead.

              On Dec 4, 2008, at 8:25 PM, giovanna imperia wrote:

              > Braidershand's ones are lovely and the indentation in the center is
              > deep enough that can hold plenty of yarn withough having to resort
              > to winding your yarn on an additional spool.

              Actually, the additional spool I'm using is to wind up the FINISHED
              braid in the center, which was why I was wondering about whether it
              would add noticeable additional weight to the counterweight side
              (usually the finished braid would just lie there on the base and not
              be a factor.)

              --lin