Re: [kumi2] Ergonomics and marudai

  • Warhaven@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      I have an arthritic back and much experimentation has shown that the best
      position for *me* to work from is standing. This requires no bending at all.
      The maru dai sits on a folding table with a couple of telephone books
      underneath to put it at the proper height - about mid-sternum. Standing upright and
      close to the maru dai, I can move strands from the near side to the far side
      just by extending my arms. Movements to the left and right are done by
      moving the feet and slightly flexing a knee. It's a bit like doing tai chi
      without the really stretchy parts.

      I'm sure you can discover what will work for you :)

      Negay
      resident curmudgeon
      >^!@!^<

      a sacred space - a sacred place
      a haven from the wars both outside and within

      **************Plan your next getaway with AOL Travel. Check out Today's Hot
      5 Travel Deals!

    • mandolynday
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
        My marudai is quite tall - 19.5". When I sit on the sofa, it sits on
        the floor between my legs & is just the right height. I don't have to
        bend over at all.

        You can see it here:
        http://www.finniwig.com/kumihimokits.htm

        Mary
      • Pat Powell
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2008
          Thank you! Thought I was the only person in the world that stood up
          while braiding. I, also, find it is easier on the back and standing
          allows more freedom of arm movement. Sitting, even in a chair with
          no arms, is somewhat restrictive and using a stool doesn't feel quite
          stable. Finding a position that is the most comfortable for you is
          very important to help keep you focused on your braiding. I know
          that's what we all want.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 13, 2008

            --- In _kumi2@..._ (mailto:kumi2@yahoogroups.com) , Warhaven@...
            wrote:

            > I have an arthritic back and much experimentation has shown that
            the best
            > position for *me* to work from is standing. . . . .

            Don't feel like the Lone Stranger! <G>

            Seriously, height of the marudai (and the attendant position for addressing
            it) is only one of the ergonomic factors. The other half of the equation is
            the width of the mirror.

            The mirrors on commercially available standard marudais range from about 8"
            to upwards of 12" because, among other considerations, they are someone
            else's idea of what is best for your body measure.

            I encourage my students to build their own marudais out of cardboard/
            bristol board before investing in wooden equipment. Experimenting with different
            sized mirrors soon gives one a feel for which size is most comfortable to use.
            Given my flexibility problems, I find that a 9" mirror allows my short arms
            to place strands on the far side of the marudai without bending and affords
            a good view of the point of braiding. For braids of more than 32 tama,
            though, I still drag out the 13" monster.

            Rodrick Owen's book 'Braids' gives an excellent illustrated set of
            instructions for building a bristol board marudai (thank you, Rod, you're still my
            hero!) in both metric and standard measure - cheap, easy, and about 45 minutes
            work in a cat-free environment. Scaling down the numbers (except the centre
            hole) will give you a smaller one for comparison.

            Cheers!

            Negay
            resident curmudgeon

            a sacred space - a sacred place
            a haven from the wars both outside and within

            **************Get movies delivered to your mailbox. One month free from
            blockbuster.com
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)