Re: [kumi2] Re: Clockwise or Counter?

  • annoney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      When using my husband's pattern generator for the 16 strand braid, some
      patterns look better when done to the left and others look better done to the
      right. The pattern generator was generated for braiding Top-Right down,
      Bottom-Left up Turn Counterclockwise. The pattern generator gives a good idea of
      what is impossible, but being perfectly square, it does not quite capture the
      potential of the finished braid.

      Theresa

      In a message dated 9/29/2008 11:39:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      fiziwig@... writes:

      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "Terrence van Ettinger AKA Angus
      MacLaren" <terrence@...> wrote:

      > I was looking at Gary Shannon's kumihimo instructions, and in the
      4-strand braid that he describes, he has the left and right threads
      going *counter*clockwise. But when I learned 8 and 16-strand, I
      learned to take the right/left strands *clockwise*. Is the
      counterclockwise thing specific to 4-strand, or have I been doing my
      8/16-strand braids wrong? Or can 4, 8, and 16-strand all go either way?

      > Thanks,
      > Terrence

      The only real answer is, does it work? If clockwise works then go with
      it. Every circular braid has a "left-handed" and "right-handed"
      version. What they call in mathematical theory, its "chirality". (see
      wikipedia: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirality>)

      Think of the difference between a clockwise braid and a
      counter-clockwise braid as being like the difference between a left
      glove and a right glove. The two gloves are the same, but yet they are
      different, because they are mirror images of each other. Same with
      clockwise vs. counter-clockwise braids. One is the mirror image of the
      other, but both are "correct", and neither is "wrong".

      --gary shannon

    • dimatteoca@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        what is a pattern generator?

        Mike

      • annoney@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
          My husband knew that there had to be a way to plan a pattern to see how to
          make it come out. We tried to just convert the one in the book to an Excel
          spreadsheet, but it did not work out. What she called number 1 was my number
          16. Then she is going around clockwise as I learned to go counterclockwise.
          Then there was how the strings are offset. After a bunch of trial and error,
          he came up with a fantastic pattern generator. After playing with the back
          ground color of a few cells in the pattern, you can go to the side and make
          each string of that number, the color you picked. Then with a key
          combination, all the cells in the pattern with that number will be made the color you
          picked. In this way, you can see if the pattern is possible. If it is close
          but need to make # 3 green and #4 red, you just make the change along the side
          and then do the key combination again to change them all.

          I will try to include an example of the final product here.

          I hope it comes through, let me know if it does not.

          (mother) Theresa

          In a message dated 10/1/2008 8:17:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
          dimatteoca@... writes:

          what is a pattern generator?

          Mike

        • annoney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
            The picture did not come out for me so I put it in my photo album. (mother)
            Theresa and it is called,
            Example of Pattern Generated.

            In a message dated 10/1/2008 6:31:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
            annoney@... writes:

[...]

            dimatteoca@... writes:

            what is a pattern generator?

            Mike

            challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
            and