Help needed - please

  • Marjorie Mowat
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
      I have been doing Kumihimo for some months, usually successful,not
      always, completely self-taught and with a lot of help lurking on these
      pages but now I am really stuck and need help.

      I have several of Jacqui Carey's books but the one I am referring to now
      is "Beads & Braid". I know that many of you have the book and that most
      of you are better at this craft than me, so hear goes:

      I have been attempting to do the project on page 143 : Sample 30c. I do
      not have the arrowhead beads but am using beads in the same format with
      holes slightly larger than 2mm. I have also been trying sample 26b with
      the same problem which is this: instructions read to do 'Round Braid 2'
      OK...then to split and rearrange the bobbins in the same manner as
      Sample 30A (Fig 30.1 & 2). then work seven sequences of moves 1,2,3 and
      4 of the ladder braid, so far so good no problem. The instructions then
      say . "Now add an arrowhead bead on to the right hand fine braid"
      nothing else, what do I do? how do I do it? I looked at sample
      30A,(page 140) what I don't understand is that it appears that the beads
      were added to the unbraided (is there such a word?) threads, but in the
      completed picture they are on the completed braid, how did this happen?
      Same on page 126/127. I am confused, please help, I so want to do this
      braid

      Marjorie
      Harwich, UK
    • teresa ross
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
        I have been working on a disk, which I love because it is portable. I wanted to try making a marudai for at home, so I bought one of those 4 legged stools that I have seen in the photos. My question is, How do I find the exact center of the circle to drill the hole? Will it effect the braid if my hole is not in the exact middle? The photos make it look so simple, but I am questioning my ability to drill a hole percisely.

        Teresa
      • Judi Morris
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
          I don't think the exactness of your center will matter. A simple way to
          find the center is to take a ruler long enough to go across, find the widest
          spot across the stool and mark maybe a 1 inch marking 1/2" each side of half
          way. Then rotate it halfway around the stool and do it again. You can do
          it more times if you like. Where the halfway marks cross will be a pretty
          close "center" point. I have one a friend made for me and I enjoy it very
          much.

          Happy braiding, Judi

          On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM, teresa ross <tmtreson@...> wrote:

          > I have been working on a disk, which I love because it is portable. I
          > wanted to try making a marudai for at home, so I bought one of those 4
          > legged stools that I have seen in the photos. My question is, How do I find
          > the exact center of the circle to drill the hole? Will it effect the braid
          > if my hole is not in the exact middle? The photos make it look so simple,
          > but I am questioning my ability to drill a hole percisely.
          >
          > Teresa

        • giovanna imperia
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
            Actually, the location of the center hole (as well as its diameter) matters a great deal. As does the slope toward the center hole. The point of braiding must be centered in order to ensure consistent tension across all bobbins. If the braid is not centered properly, the interlacements will be uneven and the consistency of the braid itself will be uneven.

            At one point in time, Michael Hattori had posted a Japanese diagram with all the appropriate dimensions. I suggest you take a look at it. It should be located in the files section

            Giovanna
            > To: kumi2@yahoogroups.com
            > From: mor_rich@...
            > Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 08:59:54 -0500
            > Subject: Re: [kumi2] center of circle?
            >
            > I don't think the exactness of your center will matter. A simple way to
            > find the center is to take a ruler long enough to go across, find the widest
            > spot across the stool and mark maybe a 1 inch marking 1/2" each side of half
            > way. Then rotate it halfway around the stool and do it again. You can do
            > it more times if you like. Where the halfway marks cross will be a pretty
            > close "center" point. I have one a friend made for me and I enjoy it very
            > much.
            >
            > Happy braiding, Judi
            >
            > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 8:47 AM, teresa ross wrote:
            >

            >> I have been working on a disk, which I love because it is portable. I
            >> wanted to try making a marudai for at home, so I bought one of those 4
            >> legged stools that I have seen in the photos. My question is, How do I find
            >> the exact center of the circle to drill the hole? Will it effect the braid
            >> if my hole is not in the exact middle? The photos make it look so simple,
            >> but I am questioning my ability to drill a hole percisely.
            >>
            >> Teresa

            > Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > To change settings via email:
            > mailto:kumi2-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > mailto:kumi2-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be—learn how to burn a DVD with Windows®.
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/
          • Warhaven@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
              The easiest way to find the centre of a circle requires a straightedge and a
              compass, so drag out your old geometry tools.

              Draw any line through the circle so that it intersects the circle at 2
              points (a and b). Use the compass to find the perpendicular bisector of ab, which
              will intersect the circle at c and d. cd is a diameter, so its midpoint is
              the centre of the circle. The intersection of cd and the perpendicular
              bisector of cd will give you an exact fix on it.

              I'd make a template of the top of the stool with enough space to lay out the
              drawing. Erm . . . if you don't remember how to draw a perpendicular
              bisector, e-mail me. :)

              In a message dated 01-Sep-08 09:47:53 Eastern Daylight Time,
              tmtreson@... writes:

              I have been working on a disk, which I love because it is portable. I
              wanted to try making a marudai for at home, so I bought one of those 4 legged
              stools that I have seen in the photos. My question is, How do I find the exact
              center of the circle to drill the hole? Will it effect the braid if my hole
              is not in the exact middle? The photos make it look so simple, but I am
              questioning my ability to drill a hole percisely.
              Negay
              resident curmudgeon
              >^!@!^<

              a sacred space - a sacred place
              a haven from the wars both outside and within

              deal here.

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
                Hello Teresa
                Put a ruler or any piece of straight wood/metal against the edge of the
                circle, and where it touches the circle, put a T-square or protractor
                against the ruler, and draw a line in pencil along the 90 degree line. Move
                the ruler around to another place on the circle and repeat the process.
                Where the two lines meet is the exact centre of the circle. Isn't maths a
                wonderful thing?
                Best wishes,
                Mike, in not-so-sunny Cornwall, U.K.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
                  As Giovanna said, there is a diagram of a marudai with metric dimensions in "Michael Hattori's" folder in the photo section. I agree with Giovanna that having the hole centered is extremely important. If the length of thread resting on the marudai is not equal, the tension will be off and you will end up with a crooked braid. Also, the "well" in the center is not to be excluded - this requires either good carving skills, a deep router, or someone with a lathe to make this depression accurate. The purpose of it is to provide an open area at the point of braiding. This "free" area allows the threads of the braid to fall naturally into place - I can assure you the Japanese never put anything that is not essential into their designs.
                  So, using a stool is fine, but if you want really good braids, you need to put the well in, round the edges, and makes sure all surfaces are "mirror" smooth.
                  Substitutes are fine to begin with, but there is nothing like using real, quality equipment and the investment is more than worth it.
                  Happy Braiding!
                  Michael Hattori

                  Michael T. Hattori Fine Art Photography www.hattoriphotography.com E-mail: Michael@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2008
                    Sorry! Forgot to add my method for finding the center. You will need a ruler, compass and a pencil. With the ruler, find the diameter or width of the stool; divide this in half to get the radius. Set your compass to the radius measurement and draw a circle on a piece of paper. Cut out the circle as exactly as you can. Now fold the circle in half, then in half again. When you unfold it, the center of the circle will be the intersection of the two lines. Now place this on top of the stool as exactly as you can and push a pin or small nail into the center mark; pull the paper away and this will be your center.
                    Good luck!
                    Michael H.

                  • annelawal
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                      Teresa,
                      all suggestions I have read are very good and precise. But if you are
                      not too heavy on math there is a simpler way.
                      Place the stool upside down on a sheet of paper and draw accurately
                      around it. Cut out the circle fold in in half and then in half again to
                      give you a quarter circle. Open out and where the folding lines
                      intesect is the centre. Now take a compass to draw a smaller circle for
                      the hole and a larger one for the "dip". Place carbon paper on the
                      stool then your paper circle precisely aligned and redraw the two
                      circles which have now been transferred to the stool. Reinforce the
                      carbon tracing with pencil. Now the serious woodwork can begin!

                      Wish you success,
                      Anne

                    • Warhaven@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2008
                        LOL! I think you get the top prize for your answer :)