Perhaps an odd question -- has anyone used fabric strips?

  • heartfeltendeavors
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 5:25 AM
      Hello fellow kumihimo enthusiasts,

      Has anyone ever tried using thin fabric strips for braiding?

      = } Deb ~ patiently, but anxiously, awaiting my marudai....
    • Wheat Carr
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 5:41 AM
        At 08:25 AM 8/1/2008, you wrote:

        >Hello fellow kumihimo enthusiasts,
        >
        >Has anyone ever tried using thin fabric strips for braiding?

        Yes, but it was a very short experiment.

        For me at least, it is the interaction of the threads and the
        patterns they create that distinguish Japanese braids and the loss of
        that character that occurs with a fabric strip braid is only worth
        the effort when it is a solution to a different problem, such as a
        quick, easy, strong and flexible purse handle for purse or tote.

        Just my opinion,

        Wheat
      • Chryse
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 6:09 AM
          I've used tie dyed "Ribbon yarn" in both round and flat braids. It's a very
          thin yarn, about a 1/4" wide, maybe a bit less.

          The braids come out with an interesting texture and appearance due to the
          folding of the ribbon during braiding.
          I don't have a picture of the round braid, but here's a closeup of a flat
          braid with the ribbon yarn.

          http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/chryse74/misc/keychain3.jpg

          and the whole keychain

          http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/chryse74/misc/keychain1.jpg

          aileen

        • heartfeltendeavors
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1 8:50 AM
            ooooh ~ I love your keychain aileen!! Where did you get the knitting
            ribbon? = } Deb
          • Chryse
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1 8:57 AM
              Thanks Deb.
              it was on sale at Michael's for a $1/spool so I have one in blue and another
              in browns/autumn tones.

              :)
              aileen

              On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:50 AM, heartfeltendeavors <heartfelt@...

            • nseb1958@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1 2:00 PM
                I have. Can be a bit messy on the edges though but gives the braid a slightly fuzzy look.

                Nancy B