strawberry knot

  • zadadegdh
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2008
      Different cultures different names

      but strawberry fits it as it does look like the skin of a strawberry.

      Now I call it a Box Knot

      here is a link showing how to do it

      http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Box-Styled-Gimp

      Do this at the start of the braid on the marudai and it'll make a
      lovely end.

      Hope this helps

      Zada
      who was knotting way before the braiding took over
    • Michael P
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2008
        Donna,

        I double checked and in fact the strawberry knot isn't in the green book. It is however in
        "The Essence of Japanese Braiding" by Makiko Tada.

        For the kumi books, let's say I am slowly crawling my way along Miura-san reference
        books list :D

        The latest addition to the library is "Kumihimo design" from the "Arts Know-how series".
        That book explains how to reverse-engineer marudai braids but is unfortunately entirely
        written in Japanese.

        Michael

        --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "bookbinder45" <dratigan@...> wrote:

        > I am shocked and amazed that there are still some kumi books I do not
        > own. Alas, I have neither the green nor the Essence of Braiding (did I
        > get that right?). So if anyone knows of any other references to the
        > elusive strawberry knot, I'd appreciate it. Would it be in Ashley's
        > Book of Knots? I'll have to check.
        >
        > Donna

      • Hummer
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2008
          Oh my....we used to make key chains and things out of that when I was a
          kid. Never knew what it was called.

          Hummer
          http://www.picasaweb.google.com/hummingbirdsings1

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2008
            I believe it would be in Ashley's book of knots - under crown sinnet (not
            sure that's the correct spelling). It can also be found in Jacquie Carey's
            latest book "The Braider's Bible" (English title) or "200 Braids to Twist,
            Knot, Loop, or Weave" (American title). I found Jacqui's instructions on
            doing the knot in the hand easy to follow.

            Peter

          • RBlau
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2008
              >I believe it would be in Ashley's book of knots - under crown sinnet (not
              >sure that's the correct spelling).

              Yes, that's the correct spelling, and Ashley has pages & pages of
              crown sinnets. They are all variations on the method that someone
              posted earlier this week.

              Ruth