joining thread

  • Gary Hawkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2008
      hi everyone
      just popping in from lurkdom to say, I went to the craft show at excel
      center in London today - nothing to write home about but I did pick up a
      round kumi foam disc & a kumo plate (square) + a book "beautiful braiding
      made easy" by Helen Deighan for £20.

      I spent about £150 but I have nothing to show for it - why is that with
      craft supplies??

      Not bad, they are the thick foam (anyone know where to buy this foam??) and
      I now have a few more patterns to try out, just need to buy more threads
      (I'm using knitting yarn at the moment as it's all I have to hand :( ) also
      need to find a local supplier of said threads LOL

      Now this is not the only reason I also made the trip from lurkdom (although
      this is the easier of the two trip - hate public transport :d)

      I have a question - can you join/add threads on the kumi discs and if so
      how is the best way.
      On the yarn I could do a russian join bu would have a thick join the deal
      with. but how about if I used a cotton or embroidery floss

      Or should I just admit a draw and do the math to get the length I want
      (length of finished braid X 2 + 6") at the moment I'm doing test pieces so
      it's not critical but if I was doing a 12" braid and then decided I wanted a
      24" one can I join in new threads?

      TIA

      OK going back to lurkdom and braid making

      Gaz(UK)