Re: Threads for Braiding & other stuff too

  • Michael P
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      Wheat,

      thanks a lot for that awesome reply, it answered most of my questions
      in one go!

      Michael

      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Wheat Carr <wheat@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > threads, and Biron, 39 - add to that my proclivity for KISS methods
      > (Keep It Simple Sweetie),
      >
      > I made the decision that 40 threads of almost any Machine Embroidery
      > Rayon or Polyester thread made wonderful braids. At Convergence in
      > Atlanta, Makiko-San even complimented the braid samples.
      >
      > Machine Embroidery threads, are for lack of a better way fo
      > explaining, not as tightly spun, so give a softer hand to the
      > finished product. They do this because these threads are intended to
      > be used for embellishment.
      >
      > Most sewing threads, because they are intended for use in Garment
      > construction rather than embellishments, must be more tightly spun,
      > because they will face more stress.
      >
      > That does not mean I have not used both Clover & YLI silk sewing
      > threads, but caution the hand of the braid will be somewhat stiffer
      > than you wish.
      >
      > Superior Threads has an excellent tutorial about thread weights at:
      > http://tinyurl.com/2eohvh
      >
      > It is especially helpful, because it explains the Gunze Standard as
      > "translated" to American <G>
      >
      > The article contains one solid gold piece of advice
      >

      > Trust your eyes and fingers more than the label.
      > <<
      >
      > which sort of means you have to kiss a lot of frogs until you find
      > the threads you really want to suit the purpose of your braid.
      >
      > However, back to long ago, I use 40 strands of Machine Embroidery
      > thread "as if" it were bundles of either Japanese silks or Biron. It
      > is just easier to do the necessary math when needed or to simply sub
      > one strand of ME Thread for each strand of silk or Biron.
      >
      > My preferred brand remains Robison-Anton for Machine Embroidery
      > Thread for Kumihimo in Rayon and Poly
      >
      > For Cotton, Presencia's Machine & Hand Sewing Thread & Perles works
      > nicely, give me lots of color choices and you have to love the
      > richness of thier colorways. (okay you don't but I do)
      >
      > Just in case you don't have enough to sample....
      >
      > Clover has recently introduced a hand embroidery Polyester, LETO,
      > which I am finding offers some interesting braid opportunities (my
      > way of saying a new thread to collect and sample with). it is fairly
      > heavy and I am liking it in place of embroidery floss and even some
      > perle cotton applications for all sorts of applications and so far
      > the samples in other techniques has proven quite color fast.
      >
      > So many threads, so little time <G> But I have decided, since I
      > cannot be in Japan for the conference, I will do no real work the
      > week of my birthday and will spend at least one full day playing with
      > the LETO in as many techniques as possible from braids, to tiny
      > textile weavings. (assuming the samples get here in time)
      >
      > HTH
      >
      > Wheat
      >
      > NonStandard Disclaimer, I do not sell these threads, but have in the
      > past and might in the future - but those who know me, also know I
      > only sell stuff I really like to use myself.
    • Lily
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
        I agree with Michael - Thank you Wheat for the information. Lily

        _____

        --- In kumi2@yahoogroups. <mailto:kumi2%40yahoogroups.com> com, Wheat Carr
        <wheat@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > way of saying a new thread to collect and sample with). it is fairly
        > heavy and I am liking it in place of embroidery floss and even some
        > perle cotton applications for all sorts of applications and so far
        > the samples in other techniques has proven quite color fast.
        >
        > So many threads, so little time <G> But I have decided, since I
        > cannot be in Japan for the conference, I will do no real work the
        > week of my birthday and will spend at least one full day playing with
        > the LETO in as many techniques as possible from braids, to tiny
        > textile weavings. (assuming the samples get here in time)
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Wheat
        >
        > NonStandard Disclaimer, I do not sell these threads, but have in the
        > past and might in the future - but those who know me, also know I
        > only sell stuff I really like to use myself.

      • ashevillemarcy
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2009
          Wheat, thank you so much for all the information. I just have a couple more questions: Where do you purchase your threads? Do you have a favorite on-line store(s)? Marcy