So let me get this straight

  • goldsmtd
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
      If I use a heavy counterweight on my braid, I will have a tighter braid
      than if I use less weight?

      And another question, have any of you ever strung your completed braid
      with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving the braid a
      necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO IT?

      THanks,
      DrMom (NEWBY)
    • John Mail

        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
          At 11:54 AM 9/5/2007, you wrote:
          >If I use a heavy counterweight on my braid, I will have a tighter braid
          >than if I use less weight?

          Actually, I believe this works the other way; a heavy counterweight
          stretches the finished braid down more, making it looser at the point of
          braiding.

          >And another question, have any of you ever strung your completed braid
          >with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving the braid a
          >necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO IT?

          I did this once, and it was sufficiently a pain that I haven't tried it
          again. :-)

          But to answer your question: First off, I was using Carey's braid 8F, which
          creates a spiral braid with a hollow core, on a foam board. Then before I
          took it off the board, I took my memory wire and threaded it thru the
          hollow center of the braid. It took me over half an hour to thread a
          necklace-length piece; the end of the wire kept wanting to poke out thru
          the sides of the braid, and I'd have to pull it back and then push it
          forward again. After I had the wire all the way thru the braid, then I made
          a loop on the starting end to hold it in place, took it off the board,
          whipped the other end (and added a dab of glue to hold everything
          together), trimmed the excess threads, and looped the other end of the
          wire. Then I added dangles from each of the loops.

          I think this would probably have worked better with the ball end findings
          for memory wire instead of making loops, and I never have been entirely
          happy with the way the finished necklace came out. Bottom line: using
          memory wire to shape a braid sounds like a good idea, but doesn't work as
          well in practice as in theory.

          Lee
        • William Coble
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
            Very neat idea John, do you have any pictures?

            Bill

            --- John Mail <lionsgater@...> wrote:

            > I dont' know about memory wire but I am working on a
            > hollow braid that I will fill with copper wire
            > before closing to make 3-D shapes.
            >
            > John
            >

            > goldsmtd <goldsmith@...> wrote:
            > If I use a heavy counterweight on my
            > braid, I will have a tighter braid
            > than if I use less weight?
            >
            > And another question, have any of you ever strung
            > your completed braid
            > with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving
            > the braid a
            > necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO
            > IT?
            >
            > THanks,
            > DrMom (NEWBY)

            > removed]

          • John Mail
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
              I will post them when I get it done.

              John

              --- John Mail <lionsgater@...> wrote:

              > I dont' know about memory wire but I am working on a
              > hollow braid that I will fill with copper wire
              > before closing to make 3-D shapes.
              >
              > John
              >

              > goldsmtd <goldsmith@...> wrote:
              > If I use a heavy counterweight on my
              > braid, I will have a tighter braid
              > than if I use less weight?
              >
              > And another question, have any of you ever strung
              > your completed braid
              > with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving
              > the braid a
              > necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO
              > IT?
              >
              > THanks,
              > DrMom (NEWBY)

              > removed]

            • Joan Branstetter
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
                It is the other way around, the heavier the counterweight, the looser
                the braid is and the lighter the counterweight, the tighter the braid.
                If I ever get a chance to finish this braid, I can get on to the next
                one. One lucky model horse is going to have a very nice looking braided
                halter for a friend of mine, just got to decide which horse will work
                the best with this braid.

                Joan

              • rainydaybead@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
                  Hi All,
                  I'm actually wearing a memory wire bracelet right now. It is much easier to form the braid around the wire than to thread it in later. This also allows you to use more structures. While many braids are not hollow, they do form around a centerpoint which will easily accomodate a small wire--kongo or marugenji gumi work well, for example.

                  Make a short segment of braid, just to get the structure started, then put a piece of memory wire down into the middle of the braid allowing the end to stick out the side. You should put a loop at the starting end of the wire to act as an anchor. The wire will stick up a ways, and then the coil will fall sideways and lay on the surface of your marudai. As you braid, you will need to move the threads around the marudai under the coil rather than across the top. Because the wire retains it's coil shape, it keeps itself out of the way fairly well. I generally leave the whole coil intact while I braid, and cut it to length at the end.

                  I haven't tried the necklace sized coil. Because it is larger, it might be more in the way. If so, you could hang it from an overhead support. I also haven't yet tried this technique on a disk, so if anyone has/does, please let us know how it works.

                  When you do your end treatments, leave enough wire to thread through a decorative bead or two. Then make your small end loops. This will keep the wire from slipping back into the braid. I personally haven't had much luck with the glue-on balls. They keep coming off. What glue do you use Lee?

                  Carol G
                  Caro

                • goldsmtd
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
                    Thank you all for your answers... what a source of information!
                    I have a disk... I am going to try the MW with it and will report back.
                    TDG
                  • Warhaven@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
                      Carol wrote:

                      It is much easier to form the braid around the wire than to thread it in
                      later. This also allows you to use more structures. While many braids are not
                      hollow, they do form around a centerpoint which will easily accomodate a small
                      wire--kongo or marugenji gumi work well, for example.
                      I routinely do this with both varieties Carol mentions.

                      I haven't tried the necklace sized coil. Because it is larger, it might be
                      more in the way. If so, you could hang it from an overhead support. I also
                      haven't yet tried this technique on a disk, so if anyone has/does, please let us
                      know how it works.

                      This sounds like a case for the famous 'slung over the ceiling fan blade,
                      taped in the OFF position' technique. You can always add length to the
                      non-working end, or cut left-over length. I often use this technique for the braids
                      I make that run test-line down the centre, using a film canister bobbin to
                      keep the line from fouling. The bobbin is not heavy enough to require
                      recalculating the weight/counterweight ratios - just enough to keep the line from
                      looping over the work.

                      Cheers!

                      Negay
                      resident curmudgeon

                    • Ruth Blau
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 5, 2007
                        >This sounds like a case for the famous 'slung over the ceiling fan blade,
                        >taped in the OFF position' technique.

                        I haven't worked w/ memory wire (yet), but I do have some, since it's
                        something I plan to do someday. I have, however, done a number of
                        braids within braids, in which I make a fine braid first, then
                        suspend it above the mirror and braid around it. I use a medical
                        intravenous pole to hold the braid up. New IV poles are costly, but
                        you might check to see if your community has a freecycle e-list (go
                        to www.freecycle.org to find out; there are freecycle e-lists all
                        over the US and in several other countries as well). The goal of
                        freecycle is to keep stuff out of landfills. Nothing is sold on a
                        freecycle e-list--everything is given away. In my community, we can
                        poste WANTED msgs to freecycle, which is what I did to get an IV
                        pole. I said that I wanted it for a non-medical purpose. I live in
                        a community of about 200,000 people, and to my astonishment, 3
                        different people responded by offering me IV poles. I chose one that
                        telescopes, so that it stores easily and can be set for any height I
                        need over the marudai.

                        So check out freecycle. You'll be doing a favor for yourself, your
                        community, and the planet.

                        Ruth
                      • ralph
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 6, 2007
                          --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "goldsmtd" <goldsmith@...> wrote:

                          > If I use a heavy counterweight on my braid, I will have a tighter
                          braid
                          > than if I use less weight?
                          >
                          > And another question, have any of you ever strung your completed
                          braid
                          > with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving the braid a
                          > necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO IT?
                          >
                          > THanks,
                          > DrMom (NEWBY)

                          hi, i've braided things into the center of a braid like wire, a
                          knitting needle , short things i just "stand" them up in middle and
                          work a simple round braid around them, was thinking of taking a bit
                          heavy guage wire like a wire about 1/8 or 1/4 inch in dia. and
                          braiding around it so i can shape it to someones wrist as a open
                          ended bracelet, a slip on slip off thing, i'll see if i can work up a
                          few pics of how i do it if that would help any
                        • goldsmtd
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 7, 2007
                            You are a mensch... thanks so much for posting those pics.
                            DrMom
                          • ClairePG@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 7, 2007
                              Yes, thanks for posting the pictures. I've been trying to figure out
                              what you are talking about - braiding around a wire or stick, but I
                              must be really dense because I still don't see what's going on. Do you
                              pull the stick out when you're done?

                              Claire

                              ClaireCreations

                              Visit my shop at: http:/www.ClaireCreations.etsy.com

                              See my work at: community.http:/www.webshots.com/user/clairepg

                              See more of my work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairecreations/

                              visit my blog: http:www.clairecreations.blogspot.com

                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 8, 2007
                                yes at least i think you can have not had to yet you may have to work
                                on it depeneds on what i'm doing in that particular braid i was
                                intending to cover the handle end of a "chopstick" used for
                                temporarily locking the braid so i can put it down the handle end
                                points to last spot done this idea should work on a muradai but i
                                cant try it as i haven't got 1 just have the kumi disk

                                anyhow once you set up the braid place the center object in the braid
                                and hold it there with 1 hand while working the braid around it you
                                cant realy turn the work but you can do top right down,buttom left up
                                then from the left side top to right side right top untill the center
                                stands where it's suposed too

                                --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, ClairePG@... wrote:

                                > Yes, thanks for posting the pictures. I've been trying to figure
                                out
                                > what you are talking about - braiding around a wire or stick, but I
                                > must be really dense because I still don't see what's going on. Do
                                you
                                > pull the stick out when you're done?
                                >

                                > Claire
                                >
                                > ClaireCreations
                                >
                                > Visit my shop at: http:/www.ClaireCreations.etsy.com
                                >
                                > See my work at: community.http:/www.webshots.com/user/clairepg
                                >
                                > See more of my work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/
                                clairecreations/

                                > visit my blog: http:www.clairecreations.blogspot.com

                                Mail! -
                                > http://mail.aol.com

                              • Jeanne Wertman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 12, 2007
                                  I think the only way you could do it is braiding over a plastic tube
                                  the flexible kind...that way you could insert a length of memory wire
                                  without it getting caught on any of the threads.....Jeanne W.

                                  > If I use a heavy counterweight on my braid, I will have a tighter
                                  braid
                                  > than if I use less weight?
                                  >
                                  > And another question, have any of you ever strung your completed
                                  braid
                                  > with memory wire, thus covering the wire but giving the braid a
                                  > necklace or bracelet shape? If so- HOW DID YOU DO IT?
                                  >
                                  > THanks,
                                  > DrMom (NEWBY)

                                • Lee S. Billings
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 12, 2007
                                    At 06:38 PM 9/12/2007, you wrote:
                                    >I think the only way you could do it is braiding over a plastic tube
                                    >the flexible kind...that way you could insert a length of memory wire
                                    >without it getting caught on any of the threads.....Jeanne W.

                                    Oh, now that's a thought! You can get that kind of plastic tubing very
                                    cheaply at places which sell electricians' supplies; it's called
                                    "spaghetti" and comes in a variety of colors and inner & outer diameters. I
                                    use short lengths of it over headpins when I'm stringing beads with larger
                                    holes. Combining this with the suggestion of using an IV pole for
                                    suspending the thing you're braiding around... hmmm...

                                    *wanders off plotting and scheming*

                                    Lee
                                  • Jeanne Wertman
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
                                      And Lee, you just taught me something...You said to use the iv pole.
                                      I have a steamer that has the same kind of pole, and I can use that.
                                      thanks again.......Jeanne W.