Re: foam disc vs standing marudi

  • Michael P
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
      Hi Claire,

      the thread placement won't change on the marudai, but you never rotate
      the marudai (you shouldn't really rotate the disc either, normally).
      The thread positions change not because of the stand, but because of
      the braid type.

      To tell where I left off, I either finish the cycle (the x steps) or
      slip something under the last pair I moved. You can also find out by
      looking at overlaps in the braiding zone, but you need to know the
      specifics of the braid for that.

      Hope that helps,
      Michael

      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, ClairePG@... wrote:

      > Thanks Michael.
      > I'll try rigging something up as a marudai and weighted bobbins and
      > try it.
      >
      > If I do switch to marudai style braiding, I guess I'll also have change
      > the method I'm currently using on the disc, which is placing the 8
      > threads around the disc so that were are 2 threads up; down; and 2
      > theads on each side. When I weave, I bring the top right hand thread
      > and place it to the right of the bottom threads. This leaves 3 threads
      > there. I take the left one and bring it up to the top. After each move,
      > I turn the disc 1/4 turn and keep repeating that move.
      > One thing I like about it is that I can always tell where I left off
      > because I look for the warp threads that cross over the top near the
      > center hole.
      > I see in Jackie Carey's book, that on the marudai, you place 4
      > threads on top and 4 threads on the bottom, then move 2 from the bottom
      > to the top and 2 from the top to the bottom and keep doing this. I
      > guess you don't have to turn the 'mirror' as you work. But how can you
      > tell where you left off?
      >

      > Claire
      >
      > ClaireCreations
      >
      > Visit my shop at: http:/www.ClaireCreations.etsy.com
      >
      > See my work at: community.http:/www.webshots.com/user/clairepg
      >
      > See more of my work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairecreations/
      >
      > visit my blog: http:www.clairecreations.blogspot.com
    • zadadegdh
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
        --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael P" <meushi@...> wrote:

        > Hi Claire,
        >
        > the thread placement won't change on the marudai, but you never
        rotate
        > the marudai (you shouldn't really rotate the disc either, normally).
        > The thread positions change not because of the stand, but because of
        > the braid type.
        >
        > To tell where I left off, I either finish the cycle (the x steps) or
        > slip something under the last pair I moved. You can also find out by
        > looking at overlaps in the braiding zone, but you need to know the
        > specifics of the braid for that.
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        > Michael

        Michael says it well. As you learn each braid watch where the braid
        is coming together and you will notice what you moved last. Once you
        can just glance and know what move you did last helps with then
        unbraiding to correct a mistake. And then if you can unbraid to
        correct a mistake you really have learned the braid structure.

        Now what you can do with the disk is work with the braid you already
        know without "steering" with the disk. Then once you get Carey's
        book do each braid structure on the disk without steering it and then
        trying it on a stand and using both hands to move the threads.

        Zada
        trying to decide which braid to load on a disk for my Travel
      • Michael Hattori
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
          Hi Claire,
          Michael is right that you don't rotate the marudai; however, if you are
          doing a symmetrical braid, like Kongoh, on the disc, it is correct to rotate
          the disc after you complete a step. If you are doing Kongoh with 8 strands,
          you can actually turn the disc either way; if you up it to 16, however, you
          must turn the disc only counterclockwise. It is much faster to work on the
          marudai, as you are normally exchanging two strands at once. You will notice
          also when you work Kongoh on the marudai that the strands will "walk" around
          the mirror unless you reset the strands every couple of moves; that is not
          necessary, but it makes the braiding process less, ah, contortionist as you
          don't have to try to follow the braid and change your hand position often.

          The beauty of the disc, of course, is that it's you can work on it just
          about anywhere.

          Happy braiding,
          Michael Hattori

          Michael T. Hattori
          Fine Art Photography
          www.hattoriphotography.com
          E-mail: Michael@...

          >From: "Michael P" <meushi@...>
          >To: kumi2@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [kumi2] Re: foam disc vs standing marudi
          >Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 09:06:26 -0000
          >
          >Hi Claire,
          >
          >the thread placement won't change on the marudai, but you never rotate
          >the marudai (you shouldn't really rotate the disc either, normally).
          >The thread positions change not because of the stand, but because of
          >the braid type.
          >
          >To tell where I left off, I either finish the cycle (the x steps) or
          >slip something under the last pair I moved. You can also find out by
          >looking at overlaps in the braiding zone, but you need to know the
          >specifics of the braid for that.
          >
          >Hope that helps,
          >Michael
          >
          >--- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, ClairePG@... wrote:
          > >

          > > Thanks Michael.
          > > I'll try rigging something up as a marudai and weighted bobbins and
          > > try it.
          > >
          > > If I do switch to marudai style braiding, I guess I'll also have change
          > > the method I'm currently using on the disc, which is placing the 8
          > > threads around the disc so that were are 2 threads up; down; and 2
          > > theads on each side. When I weave, I bring the top right hand thread
          > > and place it to the right of the bottom threads. This leaves 3 threads
          > > there. I take the left one and bring it up to the top. After each move,
          > > I turn the disc 1/4 turn and keep repeating that move.
          > > One thing I like about it is that I can always tell where I left off
          > > because I look for the warp threads that cross over the top near the
          > > center hole.
          > > I see in Jackie Carey's book, that on the marudai, you place 4
          > > threads on top and 4 threads on the bottom, then move 2 from the bottom
          > > to the top and 2 from the top to the bottom and keep doing this. I
          > > guess you don't have to turn the 'mirror' as you work. But how can you
          > > tell where you left off?
          > >

          > > Claire
          > >
          > > ClaireCreations
          > >
          > > Visit my shop at: http:/www.ClaireCreations.etsy.com
          > >
          > > See my work at: community.http:/www.webshots.com/user/clairepg
          > >
          > > See more of my work at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairecreations/
          > >
          > > visit my blog: http:www.clairecreations.blogspot.com

        • Eilidh
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2007
            On Jul 1, 2007, at 8:09 AM, zadadegdh wrote:

            > --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "Michael P" <meushi@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hi Claire,
            >>
            >> the thread placement won't change on the marudai, but you never
            >> rotate
            >> the marudai (you shouldn't really rotate the disc either, normally).
            >> The thread positions change not because of the stand, but because of
            >> the braid type.
            >>
            >> To tell where I left off, I either finish the cycle (the x steps) or
            >> slip something under the last pair I moved. You can also find out by
            >> looking at overlaps in the braiding zone, but you need to know the
            >> specifics of the braid for that.
            >>
            >> Hope that helps,
            >> Michael
            >
            > Michael says it well. As you learn each braid watch where the braid
            > is coming together and you will notice what you moved last. Once you
            > can just glance and know what move you did last helps with then
            > unbraiding to correct a mistake. And then if you can unbraid to
            > correct a mistake you really have learned the braid structure.
            >
            > Now what you can do with the disk is work with the braid you already
            > know without "steering" with the disk. Then once you get Carey's
            > book do each braid structure on the disk without steering it and then
            > trying it on a stand and using both hands to move the threads.
            >
            > Zada
            > trying to decide which braid to load on a disk for my Travel

            I vote for pattern #16 from Shirley Berlin's red booklet! It is a
            lovely lattice with a diamond in the center. I've made 3 different
            variations of it, and I love it!

            Eleanore
            San Diego