Re: [kumi2] Re: discs

  • gabim
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 1, 2007
      Japanese Yahoo Auctions is a wonderful source of various dais and books on
      kumihimo.
      Unfortunately, until now I havent found anybody that would offer shipping
      outside Japan.
      Gabriela

      --- In kumi2@yahoogroups. <mailto:kumi2%40yahoogroups.com> com, William
      Coble <squidcv41@...> wrote:

      > Hey Michael,
      >
      > Can you share the info on the shop/store in Japan
      > you got your tamas from? Im looking for some, and Im a
      > bit gun shy with the prices Ive seen so far. Thanks if
      > you can, and thanks if you cant.
      > Bill
      >
      > --- Michael P <meushi@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Even without the conversion rates and international
      > > shipping, that
      > > shop is quite expensive.
      > >
      > > Living in Germany, they should be the most logical
      > > supplier for me.
      > > However, I just ordered a pack of 24 110g tama from
      > > Japan (with
      > > delivery) for the price of 16 70g tama from that
      > > shop (without delivery).
      > >
      > > The desktop marudai do pop up on Ebay every so
      > > often, from an
      > > Australian seller (there was still one last night,
      > > gone today). The
      > > AUD to USD exchange rate should make it a more
      > > interesting
      > > proposition, I think.
      > >
      > > Michael
      > > PS: I think this is my first post on the group after
      > > joining last year :)
      > >
      > > --- In kumi2@yahoogroups. <mailto:kumi2%40yahoogroups.com> com,
      "Kaye Mallory"
      > > <kmallory@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > With the translation rate and shipping to the US,
      > > the cost is way out of
      > > > proportion to the item for me. :-(
      > > >
      > > > I'd love to see a desktop version available
      > > stateside.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Michael P
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2007
        Gabriela,

        indeed, that is often a problem with the sellers. Seeing that we order
        things from Japan every month, we use a parcel forwarding service (or
        family/friends).

        Michael

      • rainydaybead@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
          Hi All,
          Welcome Stephanie. Can I ask how you got interested in kumihimo? Have you got any books or taken a class? Take a look some of the group's photo albums if you want some inspiration for combining beads and braids.

          I am mostly a seed beader who dabbles in
          lampwork bead making and I just bought a marudai. I am so excited to
          have found this group as I know absolutely nothing about the marudai

          Jennifer, you raise a problem that all braiders deal with. The solutions depend on how you plan to use the braid. Many of us spend a lot of time looking for interesting end caps or large-holed beads. To refer back to Stephanie, a peyote-stitch tube is a nice way to create a custom finish for a braid. An interesting way to start a braid is to fold the threads in half around some kind of ring or loop (keyring, stone donut, bead pendant or...) as you begin braiding.

          The other thing I would love some tips on is starting and finishing a
          braid, I just have a mess at both ends at the moment.
          Cheers from down under--jennifer w

          Sorry your weather down under is deteriorating, but as a Northern Hemisphere person, I'm enjoying our first week of true summer warmth here in the Pacific NW!
          Carol G.

        • annoney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 3, 2007
            In a message dated 6/3/2007 4:09:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            rainydaybead@... writes:

            a peyote-stitch tube

            What is a peyote-stitch tube?

            (mother) theresa

          • Jennifer Weller
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 4, 2007
              Thanks Carol
              It is getting cold now but we have had some rain which is awesome. We
              haven't had any decent rain for five years and many areas are on
              stage five water restrictions which means they have a limit on their
              shower time and you cant wash a car even in a car wash.
              Enjoy your sunshine, make something beautiful to reflect it!
              Jen