Kumilist Swap #3 Update

  • Carol Wang
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 1, 2007
      Ok, by my current count, there are 23 swappers. this email is likely
      to precipitate a small flurry of updates, but let's go with this
      number for now. I've broken people randomly (last time was
      alphabetical, so this time is more random to give us different swap
      partners) into 3 sets of 8, 8 and 7 (new people will go into the 3rd
      group 8-). This means that we should be making 9 samples: 7 for your
      swap group, 1 for the archive and 1 for yourself.

      CURRENT PARTICIPANTS:

      Alicia Moore <ashasekayi@...>
      Anne Whitehead <drachen@...>
      Beth bethandmark@...
      Carol Goodwin <rainydaybead@...>
      Carol Wang <wangc@...>
      Cheryl <azanatigri@...>
      cinzia white <cinziawhite@...>
      Debbie Coyle <DameLynnette@...>
      Donna Ratigan <dratigan@...>
      Gabriela <gabim@...>
      Helen waitzia@...
      Jody <myflies@...>
      Kathy Warner <kbwarner2@...>
      Laura Arena <raku9@...>
      Louisa Chadwick <damselfly@...>
      Lyle McNeal <azuresquirrel@...>
      <marilyninmaine@...>
      Mary Robi <nofiah25@...>
      Maryse Levenson <maryse-dl@...>
      Paulette Adam <paulette@...>
      Peter Goldsmith <goldsmith_pj@...>
      Rod Byatt <koamise@...>
      Shirley Berlin <berlinbraids@...>
      SWAP GROUPS

      Paulette Adam <paulette@...>
      <marilyninmaine@...>
      Peter Goldsmith <goldsmith_pj@...>
      Mary Robi <nofiah25@...>
      Gabriela <gabim@...>
      Rod Byatt <koamise@...>
      Helen waitzia@...
      cinzia white <cinziawhite@...>

      Jody <myflies@...>
      Kathy Warner <kbwarner2@...>
      Laura Arena <raku9@...>
      Shirley Berlin <berlinbraids@...>
      Louisa Chadwick <damselfly@...>
      Carol Goodwin <rainydaybead@...>
      Lyle McNeal <azuresquirrel@...>
      Beth bethandmark@...

      Donna Ratigan <dratigan@...>
      Alicia Moore <ashasekayi@...>
      Maryse Levenson <maryse-dl@...>
      Anne Whitehead <drachen@...>
      Cheryl <azanatigri@...>
      Debbie Coyle <DameLynnette@...>
      Carol Wang <wangc@...>

      NUMBER OF SAMPLES: 9 (one you keep for yourself, one going to the
      archives for web posting purposes so that all can enjoy, and 7 to be
      redistributed to the other swap participants.
      TIMING: the braids are due at my place (Vancouver, BC, Canada) on
      January 30, 2007 (allow 1-2 weeks for postage depending on where you
      are). Full address listed at the bottom of this message.

      SIGNUP DEADLINE: December 15, 2006
      THEME: braids within braids. Almost any braid can carry a core, and
      if you take the core out for a spin every once in a while (and if that
      core is also a braid) then you've got a braid within a braid. OR if
      you have a braid that has "windows" and a core braid, you've also got
      a braid within a braid. OR your crafty brain has new and different
      ideas... we'd all like to see it!!

      Methods are by no means limited to marudai. Any dai, loop braiding,
      free-end in the hand, etc, etc, are welcome.

      You follow the theme if you can or wish, but can also do a "current
      preoccupation/this was on the loom" entry.
      COST: (for reference from last time, although it's a guideline) I've
      been doing some research and it looks like small packet mail to the US
      and UK is going to be in the 5-6$ range (although sending a similar
      package inside Canada will cost more like $9 *hurgh*.

      If we call it CAD$7 to include the colour photocopies and envelopes
      and hope that the postage evens out that more or less makes USD$5.50
      or GBP 3.00.

      The instructions, modified from Shirley Berlin and Carol Goodwin's
      various instructions:
      Here's the information that we'd all like to see on a page with your
      swap sample. Print it on card stock or put the page into one of those
      plastic sleeves or both. Attach the 6 inch braid by sewing it through
      the card, or stapling a thread loop into the card, or some other way
      you think works. But we want to be able to fondle it. Include return
      address mailing label and a cheque for USD$5.50 or CAD$7 or GBP 3 AND
      a label with your name and address on it. You will be mailing to me
      at:
      55-2600 Beaverbrook Cr.
      Burnaby, BC, Canada
      V3J 7W6

      Title: Kumi2 List Swap - Braids within Braids

      These may made however you wish: marudai, takadai, kakudai, card,
      improvised eqpt etc. If you use takadai or kakudai please include a
      picture of your "loom" for those who haven't seen one. This could be a
      sketch, photocopied illustration or...

      Braid name, if you know it, and where you found it - what book?
      Learned in a class?

      Bobbins: what each weighs and how many

      Counterweight: weight (usually about half that of the total bobbin
      weight, but not necessarily.)

      Thread info: name of thread if you know it. Also, identifying the
      thread by fibre content, manufacturer, number, and dye information if
      available. Number of strands per bobbin (important to keep this info
      - I sometimes forget.) Feel free to share the cost if you remember.

      A little sample of the threads stapled on is a nice touch, although
      leaving an unbraided, loose tassel end (approx 2.5cm or 1") also
      works.

      N.B. Measure and record the length of your warp when you start, top to
      tail. Then measure your completed braid when you take it off, top to
      tail, straightened out but not stretched. Record! If you need to make
      a couple of warps just record one. Don't make a meal of this but it's
      useful information afterwards when you need to figure out how much to
      put on to do those last 3 remaining samples and you are running out of
      the red thread that you don't remember where you got it. <g>

      Note if some of the threads ran out first - how long are the remaining
      threads? (sometimes this is because of wonky measuring, but if all the
      red threads get used up first, it's due to take-up and it's useful to
      know that next time.

      Helpful info to add if you've got the time and inclination are to
      record the number of hours spent in production and the price of
      materials. A stopwatch can be used to record warping and working time
      - and sometimes design time too if it requires much in the way of
      research - and try to give a ballpark figure for price of materials.
      This is a bit easier when you buy in small amounts -skeins or small
      cones - but it's very helpful in calculating a realistic price for
      one's work.

      Number of bobbins of each colour: eg; 3 red, 5 white

      Diagram of your Start position: i.e. a circle with symbols or letters.

      Which colour was where.

      All that goes at the top of the page.

      Then:
      Diagrams of the moves. These can be drawn by hand or photocopied or
      whizz-bang graphics. We have talked about copyright already here and
      for these purposes book authors are willing for us to share.

      As you braid, you will have ideas, deep flashes of insight, or maybe a
      sore neck. All these moments can be recorded to share. But if you
      don't write them down (on something you can find later) they will be
      lost to posterity. Think about the fact that probably nobody but you
      may ever have made that braid with those threads and that bobbin
      weight, etc. That is what makes these swap pages so useful later.

      Was it easy to braid? difficult at first but easy after 2 yards? Did
      you have better ideas for colour placement later that you would try
      next time? Did that wonderful amazing thread look like old string
      when braided?

      Somewhere on the page put your name, snail mail and email addresses.
      Don't PLEASE, (yes, I'm shouting), be daunted by all those words. It
      is SO satisfying to have all that info on one page. You will feel so
      proud of yourself. Organized. Efficient. Tired.
      --
      Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
      http://www.chineeseknotting.org The Chinese Knotting Home Page
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 12, 2007
        Woohoo. I got my swap today, and the braids are gorgeous. My wife and I
        drooled all over them.

        Lyle McNeal