Just curiosity...hope to know...

  • timothy_galisin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I want to know what is Andean braids are?I have this curiosity while
      surfing the site for Kumihimo and found this word "Andean braids".

      would anyone tell me about Andean braids.How is this andean braids
      originally made before it is made as a Kumihimo pattern.A brief
      history and instructions appreciated.

      Thanks and have a nice weekend.
      P/S:Plz. read it properly before answering.
    • Janis Saunders
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Timothy,

        Andean braids are from the Andes region in South America. The people
        there make the braids in their hands, no other tools.

        However braiders outside of S America have adapted these braids for
        the marudai and card.

        Hope that helps.

        Janis
        www.braidershand.com

        At 04:56 AM 12/1/2006, you wrote:

        >Hi everyone,
        >
        >I want to know what is Andean braids are?I have this curiosity while
        >surfing the site for Kumihimo and found this word "Andean braids".
        >
        >would anyone tell me about Andean braids.How is this andean braids
        >originally made before it is made as a Kumihimo pattern.A brief
        >history and instructions appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks and have a nice weekend.
        >P/S:Plz. read it properly before answering.

      • Cynthia Johnson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          Dear Timothy,

          I hope that I have read your post properly. I couldn't tell from your note
          whether the site you were searching was the Kumihimo website, or if you were
          searching the internet for kumihimo references. On the chance that you
          haven't seen the listing about the Andean Braids lecture, here is the link:
          [http://www.kumihimoconf.org/lectures.html%5d

          As to the history and development of the braid design, I can't tell you
          much.

          However, from living in Bolivia for the last 6 months, I can tell you that
          this type of pattern and rhythm of design is prevalent among the
          "camposinos" [those people who live in the countryside, and/or hold to the
          traditions of the peoples of the countryside].

          Living in Cochabamba, I don't see as much of the Peruvian influence as I
          would if I lived in La Paz, but still this is a beautiful and rich country
          and people.

          I wish I could have helped you more. I know that others will be able to give
          you more specific information.

          -Cyn
          Cochabamba, Bolivia

          On 12/1/06, timothy_galisin <timothy_galisin@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I want to know what is Andean braids are?I have this curiosity while
          > surfing the site for Kumihimo and found this word "Andean braids".
          >
          > would anyone tell me about Andean braids.How is this andean braids
          > originally made before it is made as a Kumihimo pattern.A brief
          > history and instructions appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks and have a nice weekend.
          > P/S:Plz. read it properly before answering.

        • jp
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
            > I want to know what is Andean braids are?I have this curiosity while
            > surfing the site for Kumihimo and found this word "Andean braids".
            >
            > would anyone tell me about Andean braids.How is this andean braids
            > originally made before it is made as a Kumihimo pattern.A brief
            > history and instructions appreciated.

            Andean braids are braids that are traditional to certain areas of the
            Andes Mountains of South America. The braids are used for ceremonial
            purposes, for ornamentation, and for making slings. (A sling is a
            weapon -- a strap that is used for the purpose of throwing a rock or
            other missile harder, faster, and with more force than can be done by hand.)

            Traditionally, these braids are made in the hand, with no equipment used
            to keep track of the strands or for tensioning. They are often made
            from hand-spun llama in bold contrasting patterns. There are
            differences in the kinds of braiding maneuvers in these Andean braids
            versus traditional kumihimo braids.

            You can find a few references on-line, often through links about
            primitive technology and weapons. Try googling Andean sling braids for
            a set of websites, each with its own set of links. As far as I know,
            you will not be able to learn a whole lot about the history or
            techniques of Andean sling braids merely from internet websites.

            Adele Cahlendar's "Sling Braiding in the Andes" gives an overview and
            summary of this style of braiding. It's probably the most complete
            analysis that is easily available. Her notation is a bit on the odd
            side, but the list can help if you can't figure it out on your own. (I
            needed help, and I am still grateful to those of y'all who patiently
            answered my questions.)

            Makiko Tada has a book that showcases some of the known patterns (Andean
            Sling Braids). So does Rodrick Owen (part of his 250 Braids book).
            Both books are well worth owning. I don't know if any of the other
            wonderful braid resources out there cover Andean sling braids, though
            you can get a bit more information by tracking down the references in
            the bibliographies of all of the above books.

            Andean braids are extremely cool. Slings are cool, too.

            --jp, who thinks that most braids are extremely cool