is anybody out there?

  • Susan Groseclose
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
      Hey,

      It's been a while since I got any posts to this list. I was just wondering
      if I'd somehow gotten kicked off the list, or if everyone was just really,
      really busy.

      Susie G.

    • RBlau
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
        I think a lot of us were at various conferences, etc. I took Makiko
        Sensei's three-day pre-conference workshop at Convergence, and there
        were several other kumi2-ers in that class. The workshop was
        wonderful. I would cheerfully have stayed for 3 more days of
        instruction. Usually, after an intense workshop like that, I'm too
        burned out to absorb anything more, but with Makiko, I think I could
        have just kept going & going & going.

        Two of my other classes at Convergence were with Giovanna, one on
        braiding w/ wire and one on finishing techniques in metal. I'd like
        to start now to agitate for a 3-day class by Giovanna on finishing
        techniques in metal. Two hours was far, far too little to spend on
        it. Just barely enough so that we all knew we wanted more.

        This was the first time I had attended all three parts of
        Convergence/CW--pre-conference and conference for Convergence,
        followed by Complex Weavers. It was exhausting, but a really
        energizing learning experience.

        Ruth

      • Todd Rich
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
          On Sat, 8 Jul 2006, Susan Groseclose wrote:

          > Hey,
          >
          > It's been a while since I got any posts to this list. I was just wondering
          > if I'd somehow gotten kicked off the list, or if everyone was just really,
          > really busy.
          >

          > Susie G.

          Nope, just been slow. A few new subscribers at the usual rate. I think
          the archives being accessable keeps the traffic down somewhat.
          Todd
        • Jenny Kosarew
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2006
            Susan wrote:
            >I was just wondering
            >if I'd somehow gotten kicked off the list, or if everyone was just really,
            >really busy.

            You are still here and so, I think, am I. I've not been braiding for
            the past month or so - too many distractions. I'm just home from a
            linen spinning workshop, having proved I can spin garden twine. :-)

            Jenny K in England
          • Eleanore G. Hewitt
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
              And I have been busy spreading the "virus" of the hand-held looms to
              people here in Southern California!

              I go around with by braiding and wait for people to ask what I am
              doing. I whip out extra disks, bobbins, thread, and instructions
              (which I have taken to keeping in the car!). Then I walk away cackling.

              I am always delighted to see these people turning around and teaching
              someone else! Now I have to scramble for new patterns so I am not
              left in the dust by my pupils.

              Cordially,
              Eleanore
              San Diego

              On Jul 8, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Jenny Kosarew wrote:

              > Susan wrote:
              >> I was just wondering
              >> if I'd somehow gotten kicked off the list, or if everyone was just
              >> really,
              >> really busy.
              >
              > You are still here and so, I think, am I. I've not been braiding for
              > the past month or so - too many distractions. I'm just home from a
              > linen spinning workshop, having proved I can spin garden twine. :-)
              >

              > Jenny K in England
            • Pam
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
                Isn't it such fun to hook other people on your addiction? <grin>

                I am teaching a beginner's class next weekend and have spent the last
                couple of days cutting out the cardboard discs to hand out. At the
                weavershand website, I found Makiko Tada's wonderful glossary list which
                includes "kumihimo wo simasuka?" - Are you braiding?

                Does anybody know how to say "Yes, I am braiding!"? I would like to
                start my class with the first question and then end my class by teaching
                the attendees the answer. If anybody has an idea how to say "Yes, I am
                braiding!", I would be very grateful.

                On a separate note, did anybody see the foam "lanyard maker" that
                Joann's had for their "Kids' Camp for Busy Kids" line? I can't find a
                photo online, but the product is made by www.tonerplastics.com It is a
                small (4 1/2 inch diameter) foam, 32 notched disc packaged under the
                "camp Hoochee Coochee line. The instructions include a round, flat,
                rectangular and square braid made from the plastic CraftLace. The disc
                sells for 2.99.

                I've just recently joined this list and have not posted before. I am
                very grateful for all the knowledge and information that is shared here.

                Pam Thome
                Tampa Bay, FL

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
                  The question, 'Are you braiding?', is actually PRONOUNCED as

                  Kumihimo o shimas ka

                  The 'wo' is really pronounced (to our western ears) as just 'o'; the 'w'
                  comes from a different system of transliteration, but is useful to think of
                  as separating the 'o' at the end of 'kumihimo' from the 'o', which is a
                  direct object marker.

                  The 'si' sound at the beginning of 'simasu' is really pronounced as an 'sh'
                  (again, a different transliteration system), and the 'u' at the end is
                  effectively silent (to our western ears)

                  The 'ka' is the question marker

                  The answer to the question, 'Yes, I am braiding' is pronounced as

                  Ee, kumihimo o shimas.

                  The 'ee' is pronounced as a long a, as in the English word 'hay'.

                  Peggy

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
                    Oh Peggy!!!

                    This is perfect!!!!

                    Thank you so much!!!!

                    Pam Thome
                    Tampa Bay, FL

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
                      You are welcome.

                      I should have also said:

                      'Ee' is the casual for of 'yes' (you probably figured that out)

                      'Shimasu' is the average polite form (present tense) of the verb 'suru',
                      which generally means 'to do'. Past tense is 'shimashita' (don't pronounce
                      the 'I' between 'shimash' and 'ta', so it sounds like 'shimashta'), so if
                      you wanted to say you had been braiding you'd say:

                      Ee, kumihimo o shimashita.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 10, 2006
                        Ha! I can understand the whole garden twine thing!! It always seems that the
                        first time (for me, several times) that you spin something it ends up as
                        garden twine (or rope, or cat toy, or ...)! But you know if you hang with
                        it, you'll be fine! I'm too chicken to try spinning silk-I'd want to spend
                        time perfecting it, but my other hobbies (knitting, glass lampwork, and
                        braiding) would get in the way! Too much to do, not enough time to do it
                        all!! Of course, work has to fit in there somewhere, too. *sigh*

                        Susie G from Ohio

                        >if I'd somehow gotten kicked off the list, or if everyone was just really,
                        >really busy.

                        You are still here and so, I think, am I. I've not been braiding for
                        the past month or so - too many distractions. I'm just home from a
                        linen spinning workshop, having proved I can spin garden twine. :-)

                        Jenny K in England

                        Yahoo! Groups Links