Braid swap: signup deadline

  • wangc@skate.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1, 2005
      Today is the signup deadline. by my current count, we have 34 (with
      only 1 not formally verified). That would make 4 groups of 8 or 9, so
      each participant should make 10 samples. That said, this is your last
      chance to add or remove yourself. Also note that I'm in Seattle this
      weekend for the IGKT-PAB AGM so if you don't hear from me until
      Tuesday, don't be concerned (the hotel is supposed to have free
      high-speed internet, but...)

      Participants thus far:

      Laura Arena <RAKU9@...>
      Audrey <nahani@...>
      Shirley Berlin <Berlinbraids@...>
      Linda Bryant <peachb@...>
      Rod Byatt <koamise@...>
      Barbara Carlbon <willvale@...>
      Louisa Chadwick <damselfly@...>
      Debbie Coyle <HouseZacharia@...>
      Carla X Gladstone <valise@...>
      Carol Goodwin <rainydaybead@...>
      * Susan Groseclose <susie.g@...>
      "Lorna Hanrahan" <piglet@...>
      Rachel Hardy <rachelhardy@...>
      Sandy Jessett <sjessett@...>
      Magda/fibrewoman <ourpost@...>
      Maryse Levenson <maryse-dl@...>
      Gabriela <gabim@...>
      Lyle McNeal <azuresquirrel@...>
      Lisa McNeil <milisandiauxorbran@...>
      A. Moore <ashasekayi@...>
      David Pollock <sewna@...>
      Donna Ratigan <dratigan@...>
      Sandy Rich
      Todd Rich <torin@...>
      Debbie Richardson <drdebbie_uk@...>
      Odette Riley <odette@...>
      Melanie Robbins <casgudcath@...>
      Anne Rock <basalt@...>
      Mary Robinson <nofiah25@...>
      Nan Sexton <woolwood@...>
      Shawn in Lincoln <sstoner@...>
      Carol Wang <wangc@...>
      Kathy Warner <kbwarner2@...>
      Anne Whitehead <drachen@...>

      * more info/armtwisting needed

      NUMBER OF SAMPLES: TBD, for the moment plan on 10-11 samples (one you
      keep for yourself, one going to the archives for web posting purposes
      so that all can enjoy, and 8 or 9 to be redistributed to the other
      swap participants (depending on the final number of participants,
      random subgroups will be created).
      TIMING:
      Signup deadline: July 1, 2005.
      Braid deadline: the braids are due at my place (Vancouver, BC,
      Canada) on September 1, 2005 (allow 1-2 weeks for postage
      depending on where you are). Full address listed at the bottom of
      this message.

      Note: the last time, the deadline shifted a _lot_ due to many "tardy
      braiders". We should either decide from the outset that we will
      have a hard deadline this time or knowing the date will likely
      slip acknowledge that this will happen. I say this, because
      it's unfair to those who might be setting aside other
      responsibilities to make the deadline only to have the swap
      close almost 1 1/2 months later. Thoughts?
      THEME: Expanding the Basics (Thanks, Rachel! 8)

      Incorporate your own variations on simple braids, 16 or more strand
      variations of basic 4/8 strand braids, ladder braids, added beads,
      etc.

      Methods are by no means limited to marudai. any dai, loop braiding,
      free-end in the hand, etc, etc, are welcome.

      You follow the theme if you can or wish, but can also do a "current
      preoccupation/this was on the loom" entry.

      For beginners, remember just using some different threads (chenille,
      lurex, raffia, etc, etc) or a sprinkling of beads makes a world of
      difference in your braid. Also, just varying the thickness of the
      elements (eg. 3 ends of thread on one bobbin and 10 ends of threads on
      another) makes a dramatic difference as well.

      The rest of the instructions are Shirley's writeup for a previous
      swap.
      Here's the information that we'd all like to see on a page with your
      swap sample. Print it on card stock or put the page into one of those
      plastic sleeves or both. Attach the 15cm (6 inch) braid by sewing it
      through the card, or stapling a thread loop into the card, or some
      other way you think works. But we want to be able to fondle
      it. Include return address mailing labelwith your name and address on
      it. You will be mailing to me at:
      #172 205-329 North Rd.
      Coquitlam, BC, Canada
      V3K 6Z8

      Title: Kumi2 List Swap - Expanding the Basics

      These may made however you wish: marudai, takadai, kakudai, card,
      improvised eqpt etc. If you use takadai or kakudai please include a
      picture of your "loom" for those who haven't seen one. This could be a
      sketch, photocopied illustration or ?

      Braid name, if you know it, and where you found it - what book?
      Learned in a class?

      Bobbins: what each weighs and how many

      Counterweight: weight (usually about half that of the total bobbin
      weight, but not necessarily.)

      Thread info: name of thread if you know it. Also, identifying the
      thread by fibre content, manufacturer, number, and dye information if
      available. Number of strands per bobbin (important to keep this info
      - I sometimes forget.)

      A little sample of the threads stapled on is a nice touch, although
      leaving an unbraided, loose tassel end also works.

      N.B. Measure and record the length of your warp when you start, top to
      tail. Then measure your completed braid when you take it off, top to
      tail, straightened out but not stretched. Record! If you need to make
      a couple of warps just record one. Don't make a meal of this but it's
      useful information afterwards when you need to figure out how much to
      put on to do those last 3 remaining samples and you are running out of
      the red thread that you don't remember where you got it. <g>

      Note if some of the threads ran out first - how long are the remaining
      threads? (sometimes this is because of wonky measuring, but if all the
      red threads get used up first, it's due to take-up and it's useful to
      know that next time.

      Helpful info to add if you've got the time and inclination are to
      record the number of hours spent in production and the price of
      materials. A stopwatch can be used to record warping and working time
      - and sometimes design time too if it requires much in the way of
      research - and try to give a ballpark figure for price of materials.
      This is a bit easier when you buy in small amounts -skeins or small
      cones - but it's very helpful in calculating a realistic price for
      one's work.

      Number of bobbins of each colour: eg; 3 red, 5 white

      Diagram of your Start position: i.e. a circle with symbols or letters.

      Which colour was where.

      All that goes at the top of the page.

      Then:
      Diagrams of the moves. These can be drawn by hand or photocopied or
      whizz-bang graphics. We have talked about copyright already here and
      for these purposes book authors are willing for us to share.

      As you braid, you will have ideas, deep flashes of insight, or maybe a
      sore neck. All these moments can be recorded to share. But if you
      don't write them down (on something you can find later) they will be
      lost to posterity. Think about the fact that probably nobody but you
      may ever have made that braid with those threads and that bobbin
      weight, etc. That is what makes these swap pages so useful later.

      Was it easy to braid? difficult at first but easy after 2 yards? Did
      you have better ideas for colour placement later that you would try
      next time? Did that wonderful amazing thread look like old string
      when braided?

      Somewhere on the page put your name, snail mail and email addresses.
      Don't PLEASE, (yes, I'm shouting), be daunted by all those words. It
      is SO satisfying to have all that info on one page. You will feel so
      proud of yourself. Organised. Efficient. Tired.

      I start on a full sized piece of paper, then deteriorate to little
      notes which I tuck under the marudai and take it all to the computer
      when I am done - it's not a really big deal.

      --
      Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
      http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
        I have had an offer for someone to run the swap from State side but for those of you who are keen to participate if you go to Files on the left hand side and go to Kumi swap #3 this will give you an idea of what is involved and there is also a document called Sample Note page which gives you an idea of how to set it up.

        Any thoughts on theme - anything goes! 'Using colour' 'current preoccupation' and should we look at all braids being by 1 December?

        Thoughts & comments

        Anne W in New Zealand
      • Tammy Uren
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
          I'm going back and forth on joining in, I'm a newbie to this and also am so
          swamped with things especially with the holidays and shows coming up for me
          it would be so much better if the due date was in mid to late Jan. t would
          give me more practice time as well as breathing room. Thats just my opinion.
          I'm still not sure if I' going to be brave enough to join in, lolTammy

          On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM, whitehead_anne <drachen@...>wrote:

          > I have had an offer for someone to run the swap from State side but for
          > those of you who are keen to participate if you go to Files on the left hand
          > side and go to Kumi swap #3 this will give you an idea of what is involved
          > and there is also a document called Sample Note page which gives you an idea
          > of how to set it up.
          >
          > Any thoughts on theme - anything goes! 'Using colour' 'current
          > preoccupation' and should we look at all braids being by 1 December?
          >
          > Thoughts & comments
          >
          > Anne W in New Zealand

        • Lyle McNeal
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 17, 2009
            I like the idea of something different. This allows a lot of latitude in
            what each person does, as it could be as simple as using 16 strands instead
            of 8, or using a metallic thread.

            December 1 as a deadline works for me.

            Lyle McNeal

            He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares
            not is a slave.
            -- Sir William Drummond

            Help support the fight against breast cancer. www.erinjoi.com

            On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM, whitehead_anne <drachen@...>wrote:

            > I have had an offer for someone to run the swap from State side but for
            > those of you who are keen to participate if you go to Files on the left hand
            > side and go to Kumi swap #3 this will give you an idea of what is involved
            > and there is also a document called Sample Note page which gives you an idea
            > of how to set it up.
            >
            > Any thoughts on theme - anything goes! 'Using colour' 'current
            > preoccupation' and should we look at all braids being by 1 December?
            >
            > Thoughts & comments
            >
            > Anne W in New Zealand

          • Brenda L Stevens
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 11, 2010
              I just received my braid swap samples! I'm so excited that I get to take them
              to the kumihimo class I'm teaching next week! I'm sure the students will be
              impressed. I know that I am! Thank you to everybody that participated and
              especially to Wendy to taking on the task of organizing it all. I wish I could
              try them all right NOW. :-) But I'll have to content myself to the ones I
              can do on a disk. Again, thank you!

              God bless,
              Brenda, the lady in purple, in Oster MN
              Isaiah 26:3
              "The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction,
              is the first and only object of good government."
              --- Thomas Jefferson
            • mariarose3685
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
                Will someone be posting pictures of all the braids in the braid-swap, so that the rest of us can enjoy looking at them?
                Thanks
                Mariarose
              • destinationvenus1
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
                  I received mine too, and they are incredible! Thanks everyone for sharing your hard work and expertise. There are a couple I can't wait to make and I wish I had a disk that wasn't already in service to work on! Also big thanks and kudos to Wendy for coordinating everything. Carolyn/Venus

                  --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, Brenda L Stevens <Brenda.Stevens@...> wrote:

                  > I just received my braid swap samples!
                • John
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
                    Mine arrived as well. The braids all look great. Nice work, everyone!

                    <destinationvenus1@...> wrote:
                    > I received mine too, and they are incredible!
                  • Rodrigo Belmonte
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 12, 2010
                      Please oh please??

                      I just (literally just) finished constructing my first REAL marudai! Pine
                      mirror with red cedar dowels and a pine base. I made it 13inches tall. Going
                      to use it today and make sure the height is good for my desk at work, then
                      ill be staining and glueing. Right now it is fit together tightly, and seems
                      to be great! Ill post pictures soon, once I get it finished..

                      I have a friend making one out of ZEBRA WOOD! That will be beautiful once
                      finished! I'll post photos of that as well.

                      Rodrigo Belmonte

                      Deputy Seneschal

                      Archer, Bard, Craftsman

                      Barony of Arn Hold

                      Kingdom of Artemisia

                      Will someone be posting pictures of all the braids in the braid-swap, so
                      that the rest of us can enjoy looking at them?
                      Thanks
                      Mariarose

                      07:35:00

                    • beatriz muniz
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                        *It would be wonderful to see the braid swap!!!
                        *

                        --
                        Bea
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/beas_beads/

                      • beadingfrenzied
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 13, 2010
                          MariaRose,
                          I am working on trying to get the photos posted. I am not a whiz at the computer or taking photos to put on the computer. I do not have a light box, and my attempts to make one have not worked at all. So, the sun looks like it might peek through today, and if so, I will get the photos done, and then post them. I am glad that all who participated enjoyed, and those that did not, I hope this will give you inspiration for a future swap.
                          I would strongly suggest that a future one not be planned around ANY holiday and that way perhaps more people will take part. Just know that it is a lot of work for those that do participate, but the reward is well worth it.
                          Wendy