question obut bobbins

  • wizardagb
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2005
      Hello everyone
      first of all, let me introduce myself, my name is Armando, and I'm
      nwe to the group. Basically I'm a knottyer, a beginner knottyer, in
      my search of knowledge I found kumihimo techniques, then I started
      learning to braid with a home-made maru dai, I only have a few free
      patterns, no books at all, and one basic question about the bobbins:

      wich knot is used in the bobind to easily and quickly unroll the cord?

      I'll appreciate if someone here could answer this question. I know
      for the things I've been reading, that this is a list for experts,
      and this may seem to be a stupid question, but it is the begining for
      my new affection: knottying and braiding.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Denise Kinsley
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2005
        --- Armando wrote:
        > which knot is used in the bobbin to easily and quickly unroll
        > the cord?

        Welcome! It seems like all the experienced folks are busy, so I
        will attempt to answer your question <g>. I'm not sure if I can
        describe it adequately in words, but I will try.

        Basically, all you do is use a half hitch loop around the body of
        the bobbin. The weight of the bobbin itself is enough to keep it
        secure, and to let out more cord you simply pick up the bobbin
        (which removes pressure from the half hitch) and you are able to
        unwind more cord without even having to undo the hitch. It's very
        similar to the way bobbin lace makers secure the thread on their
        bobbins, if that helps at all...

        Denise in Kent, WA
      • wizardagb
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2005
          Thank you very much, your explanation It's really helpful, I alreafy
          tryed to do what you describe, and... EUREKA!, it works.

          best regards