Re: [kumi2] Request for help and recommendation

  • That Goddess Chick
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Lee,

      No, it isn¹t a flat braid, but the thin leather finish could still work.
      Someone offlist also suggested that I bead around the end after wrapping it.
      Between the two, I think I can work something very nice and uniquely
      personalized. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

      On 1/31/05 11:59 PM, "Lee S. Billings" <stardreamer@...> politely
      noted:

      > At 21:25 1/31/05, you wrote:
      >
      >> >The problem is...I have no idea what to do with the end that has the 16
      >> >cords hanging from it. The start end is nice because I started the braid by
      >> >tying a bit of cord in the center of a bundle of 8 cords, then held it under
      >> >the center hole of the cardboard for my tension. I plan on folding that end
      >> >over and stitching it in place either directly to the ring on the purse, or
      >> >onto a swivel snap if I can find some decent ones (I haven't so far). I
      >> >would prefer to do the other end the same way, but have no idea how to
      >> >finish the end.
      >
      > Is this a flat braid? If so, a couple of ideas:
      >
      > 1) You can get flat-braid end findings from various craft sources, possibly
      > even your local crafts store. While these are normally used to attach a
      > clasp for a necklace or bracelet, you don't *have* to do that.
      >
      > 2) Stitch across the end of the braid several times to secure it, then trim
      > the cords off and use Fray-Chek or whipstitch to keep the cut ends from
      > fraying or pulling loose. This would look fine if you were just planning to
      > sew the end back onto the rest of the braid.
      >
      > 3) Create your own flat-end cap from something like thin leather, finish
      > the braid as suggested in #2, and then glue or stitch the cap onto it. This
      > would give a more finished look, and you could do the same on the other end
      > to match.
      >
      > Lee
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > *