[kumi2] Kumi 2 swap: one month warning!!

  • wangc@skate.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2004
      actually slightly less than a month...

      PARTICIPANTS:
      Audrey Ford <amsford@...>
      Carol Goodwin <rainydaybead@...>
      Carol Wang <wangc@...>
      Debbie Coyle <housezacharia@...>
      Donna R/bookbinder45 <dratigan@...>
      Gabriela <g.m@...>
      Jennie Parry <jennie.parry@...>
      Julie <jtknits@...> (if virtual)
      Kat Jennings <too_savage@...>

      Laura Arena <RAKU9@...>
      Lorna Hanrahan <piglet@...>
      Louisa Chadwick <damselfly@...>
      Lynn Caldwell <lcweave@...>
      Rachel Hardy <rachelhardy@...>
      Shirley Berlin <Berlinbraids@...>
      Todd Rich <torin@...> (after wedding 8-)
      Tricia <nashlove@...>
      Zada <ZadadeGDH@...>

      Current count is 18, which makes 2 groups of 9, or possibly 2 groups
      of 8 depending on Julie and Todd.
      NUMBER OF SAMPLES: 11 samples (one you keep for yourself, one going to
      the archives for web posting purposes so that all can enjoy, and 9 to
      be redistributed to the other swap participants.
      TIMING: the braids are due at my place (Vancouver, BC, Canada) on
      October 31, 2004 (allow 1-2 weeks for postage depending on where you
      are). Full address listed at the bottom of this message.
      THEME: non-standard cross section braids. OK, while round or
      rectangular (ribbons or square) braids are not exactly boring, more
      unusually shaped braids are definately interesting. Some suggestions
      include triangular, horned spirals, ladders, and that funky star
      shaped braid in Ashley's.

      Methods are by no means limited to marudai. any dai, loop braiding,
      free-end in the hand, etc, etc, are welcome.

      You follow the theme if you can or wish, but can also do a "current
      preoccupation/this was on the loom" entry.
      COST: I've been doing some research and it looks like small packet
      mail to the US and UK is going to be in the 5-6$ range (although
      sending a similar package inside Canada will cost more like $9 *hurgh*.

      If we call it CAD$7 to include the colour photocopies and envelopes
      and hope that the postage evens out that more or less makes USD$5.50
      or GBP 3.00.

      The instructions, modified from Shirley Berlin and Carol Goodwin's
      various instructions:
      Here's the information that we'd all like to see on a page with your
      swap sample. Print it on card stock or put the page into one of those
      plastic sleeves or both. Attach the 6 inch braid by sewing it through
      the card, or stapling a thread loop into the card, or some other way
      you think works. But we want to be able to fondle it. Include return
      address mailing label and a cheque for USD$5.50 or CAD$7 or GBP 3 AND
      a label with your name and address on it. You will be mailing to me
      at:
      55-2600 Beaverbrook Cr.
      Burnaby, BC, Canada
      V3J 7W6

      Title: Kumi2 List Swap - A Non-standard Cross Section Braid

      These may made however you wish: marudai, takadai, kakudai, card,
      improvised eqpt etc. If you use takadai or kakudai please include a
      picture of your "loom" for those who haven't seen one. This could be a
      sketch, photocopied illustration or...

      Braid name, if you know it, and where you found it - what book?
      Learned in a class?

      Bobbins: what each weighs and how many

      Counterweight: weight (usually about half that of the total bobbin
      weight, but not necessarily.)

      Thread info: name of thread if you know it. Also, identifying the
      thread by fibre content, manufacturer, number, and dye information if
      available. Number of strands per bobbin (important to keep this info
      - I sometimes forget.) Feel free to share the cost if you remember.

      A little sample of the threads stapled on is a nice touch, although
      leaving an unbraided, loose tassel end (approx 2.5cm or 1") also
      works.

      N.B. Measure and record the length of your warp when you start, top to
      tail. Then measure your completed braid when you take it off, top to
      tail, straightened out but not stretched. Record! If you need to make
      a couple of warps just record one. Don't make a meal of this but it's
      useful information afterwards when you need to figure out how much to
      put on to do those last 3 remaining samples and you are running out of
      the red thread that you don't remember where you got it. <g>

      Note if some of the threads ran out first - how long are the remaining
      threads? (sometimes this is because of wonky measuring, but if all the
      red threads get used up first, it's due to take-up and it's useful to
      know that next time.

      Helpful info to add if you've got the time and inclination are to
      record the number of hours spent in production and the price of
      materials. A stopwatch can be used to record warping and working time
      - and sometimes design time too if it requires much in the way of
      research - and try to give a ballpark figure for price of materials.
      This is a bit easier when you buy in small amounts -skeins or small
      cones - but it's very helpful in calculating a realistic price for
      one's work.

      Number of bobbins of each colour: eg; 3 red, 5 white

      Diagram of your Start position: i.e. a circle with symbols or letters.

      Which colour was where.

      All that goes at the top of the page.

      Then:
      Diagrams of the moves. These can be drawn by hand or photocopied or
      whizz-bang graphics. We have talked about copyright already here and
      for these purposes book authors are willing for us to share.

      As you braid, you will have ideas, deep flashes of insight, or maybe a
      sore neck. All these moments can be recorded to share. But if you
      don't write them down (on something you can find later) they will be
      lost to posterity. Think about the fact that probably nobody but you
      may ever have made that braid with those threads and that bobbin
      weight, etc. That is what makes these swap pages so useful later.

      Was it easy to braid? difficult at first but easy after 2 yards? Did
      you have better ideas for colour placement later that you would try
      next time? Did that wonderful amazing thread look like old string
      when braided?

      Somewhere on the page put your name, snail mail and email addresses.
      Don't PLEASE, (yes, I'm shouting), be daunted by all those words. It
      is SO satisfying to have all that info on one page. You will feel so
      proud of yourself. Organised. Efficient. Tired.

      --
      Carol Wang http://www.elegant.ca/ Elegant Solutions Consulting
      http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
        v - braids received
        * - braids enroute
        ? - status unknown

        v Audrey Ford <amsford@...>
        v Carol Goodwin <rainydaybead@...>
        v Carol Wang <wangc@...>
        * Debbie Coyle <housezacharia@...>
        v Donna R/bookbinder45 <dratigan@...>
        v Gabriela <g.m@...>
        v Jennie Parry <jennie.parry@...>
        ? Kat Jennings <too_savage@...>
        v Laura Arena <RAKU9@...>
        v Lorna Hanrahan <piglet@...>
        v Louisa Chadwick <damselfly@...>
        v Lynn Caldwell <lcweave@...>
        v Rachel Hardy <rachelhardy@...>
        v Shirley Berlin <Berlinbraids@...>
        * Todd Rich <torin@...>
        v Tricia <nashlove@...>

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 11, 2004
          Todd and Debbie's braids are in, so unless i'm confused and Kat
          Jennings has a braid that's coming too (or i'm even more confused and
          it's lost somewhere in the house), then we're done. i will try to get
          the sorting, scanning, printing and repackaging done this weekend and
          things in the mail by monday-ish
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2004
            A week later than planned, but they've all gone via airmail. The
            theory is that they should all arrive before the new year.

            As a preview, here's a bunch of pictures from the swap:
            http://www.braiding.org/kumi2/swap1/
            more text (names of people, names of braids, bibliographic reference)
            later.

            --
            Carol Wang http://www.elegant.ca/ Elegant Solutions Consulting
            http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
            http://www.skate.org/ Information for the Figure Skating Fan
          • Rachel Hardy
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2004
              On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 02:19, wangc@... wrote:
              > A week later than planned, but they've all gone via airmail.

              Wow Carol, the pictures are amazing, I'm really looking forward to
              fondling them when they arrive.

              Gabriela, I love the double ladder braid you made, what a great idea,
              wonderful!!

              Rachel Hardy
            • Damselfly
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2004
                Thanks so much for hosting this swap, Carol! Especially since I get my
                package first because you don't have to mail it! <g> The pics are just
                fine -- I like the detail bits you added.

                Thanks to everybody who participated! Hope we can do this again. Late spring
                maybe? We'll talk later after the Silly Season, ok?

                Hugs,
                Louisa (already fondling the samples! Neener-neener!!!)