Re: S-Lon (SuperLon) 2013 Color "Chart"

  • WAYNE WILEY
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 6:06 PM
      I use a lot of S-lon both for beading and for braiding.  I do find that if you are using it just for braiding, it covers better if you use 2 or more strands per slot.  I'm doing a necklace now that wraps around a clear plastic tube and 2 strands per slot hides the plastic.

      Wayne

    • terryannbardal
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2 2:51 AM
        I am new to kumihimo I started it about a month ago but really love it. You mentioned about doing it around a tube is there someplace I can go to see how this is done?
        Thanks
        Terry

        Sent from my iPad
      • WAYNE WILEY
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3 10:08 AM
          The actual pattern is in "More Necklaces Braided on the Kumihimo Disk" by Karen Desousa.  However, the short explanation is that you can buy plastic tubing at a hardware store in different sizes.  Then you just use any pattern for a hollow braid and after you have an inch or so braided, insert the desired length down inside the braid and continue to braid around the tube.  It's a little clumsy at first, but you get used to having the tube sticking up in the middle of your disk.  The reason I'm using it is that it maintains the round shape of the braid.  Theoretically the tubing is suppose to maintain the circular shape it starts with so that you can wear it without having to put a clasp on it.  However , I'm not having luck with that part, but the directions say to simply insert a length of memory wire into the tube and it will keep the curve and then still wrap around your neck.

          You can also do the same thing by inserting several strands of yard for a softer look while still maintaining the round shape of the braid.

          Hope this makes sense.